Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

12,000 RPM

New Lexus LS looks good in person but still looks way too much like a Buick Lacrosse
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 12, 2018, 11:21:28 AM
It's probably a better financial decision to fix and keep it, especially if you don't want to private party sell, but based on the homes you posted in the house thread a bit back, you seem to be doing fairly well financially. Like you mentioned, there's something to be said about owning a vehicle that you don't really have to worry about.

Yeah, thing is priority is saving for a down payment there so definitely don't want to buy something different. And then if I get rid of it, and we just go with one car, but then end up moving to Golden, I would probably need to buy a car at the same time as we are buying a house because Uber probably isn't really an option out where we are looking.

So that's kind of the logic.

shp4man

Was Checking out the pre-1975 vehicles in CL this morning. Now is the time to buy a classic car, for sure. The need for Christmas money must be very strong.  ;)

BimmerM3

Quote from: TBR on December 13, 2018, 08:32:16 AM
Yeah, thing is priority is saving for a down payment there so definitely don't want to buy something different. And then if I get rid of it, and we just go with one car, but then end up moving to Golden, I would probably need to buy a car at the same time as we are buying a house because Uber probably isn't really an option out where we are looking.

So that's kind of the logic.

Makes sense. You wouldn't have any problems finding Uber/Lyft rides in Golden, but if you're talking about using that on a regular basis for your commute, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 13, 2018, 08:04:14 AM
New Lexus LS looks good in person but still looks way too much like a Buick Lacrosse

Slight drop with some nice wheels and they look incredible
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Hm. India just got the Nissan Kicks, but it's not on the same platform as the ROW Kicks. In fact, they're nearly totally different cars, despite Nissan styling the Indian kicks to look like the one we get.

Not sure why they'd waste time porting styling to a different platform; clearly the two cars can't share any parts!

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 13, 2018, 09:47:04 AM
Makes sense. You wouldn't have any problems finding Uber/Lyft rides in Golden, but if you're talking about using that on a regular basis for your commute, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

In Golden proper maybe not, but we're looking a bit further down 70 towards Genesee.

BimmerM3

Quote from: TBR on December 13, 2018, 10:26:29 AM
In Golden proper maybe not, but we're looking a bit further down 70 towards Genesee.

I still wouldn't think you'd have many issues unless you're worried about winter access on questionable roads or getting rides in the middle of the night. I took an Uber from Breckenridge to DIA a couple years ago (weird situation with out of towners who had a bunch of different flight times).

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 68_427 on December 13, 2018, 10:05:09 AM
Slight drop with some nice wheels and they look incredible
This is true for nearly any non Toyota/VW sedan :lol:

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 13, 2018, 10:36:59 AM
I still wouldn't think you'd have many issues unless you're worried about winter access on questionable roads or getting rides in the middle of the night. I took an Uber from Breckenridge to DIA a couple years ago (weird situation with out of towners who had a bunch of different flight times).

Hmmm... would still will be more hassle I am sure.

BimmerM3

Quote from: TBR on December 13, 2018, 11:21:01 AM
Hmmm... would still will be more hassle I am sure.

Yeah, I agree with that lol.

But it should still be a good option for occasional nights out if neither of y'all want to drive or something like that.

shp4man

If I was moving to Snow/Ski country:

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

I'd rather have a Range Rover Sporte
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

FJ60/62

But honestly, any of them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Lovely...

1961 Alfa Giulietta Sprint
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

I'm reminded—I also rented a Nissan Armada while on vacation. It's actually somewhat decent to drive, but  poorly designed. Cramped driver's seat—at 5'8", I had the seat all the way back to be comfortable and all the way lowered and I still felt the roof right above me, but it had acres of space on the right hand side of the driver footwell and yet the seat had me pushed up against the door on the left. Nav system was slow and unresponsive, leading to many missed turns. Infotainment system was barely navigable. 360 degree parking camera was super clutch, amazing to use, and made dealing with that monstrous size rather easy, even in tight areas. And, it sat 6 adults comfortably enough for hours on end. Cavernous on the inside, as the driver I could have a completely different conversation with my passenger from the passengers in the back and it wouldn't feel like we were talking over each other.

Overall, though, would not recommend. Much preferred the Escalade (as a passenger, I didn't drive the Escalade), but the Escalade is also like $10-30,000 more, so it should be better.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 13, 2018, 05:52:24 PM
Lovely...

1961 Alfa Giulietta Sprint

Indeed. Pretty little thing.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Tesla paint quality is horrendous.

I've seen several Model 3's in town over the past week or so, and the paint looks like it came straight off of a 10 year old Dodge Ram.

Come to think of it, I saw a Model X yesterday, and while the paint quality was better, there were several noticeable misalignments in the panels.

I like Tesla and Musk, but the paint and panel alignment is inexcusable for a Kia, let alone $55,000 - $100,000+ cars.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on December 14, 2018, 07:00:35 AM
I'm reminded—I also rented a Nissan Armada while on vacation. It's actually somewhat decent to drive, but  poorly designed. Cramped driver's seat—at 5'8", I had the seat all the way back to be comfortable and all the way lowered and I still felt the roof right above me, but it had acres of space on the right hand side of the driver footwell and yet the seat had me pushed up against the door on the left. Nav system was slow and unresponsive, leading to many missed turns. Infotainment system was barely navigable. 360 degree parking camera was super clutch, amazing to use, and made dealing with that monstrous size rather easy, even in tight areas. And, it sat 6 adults comfortably enough for hours on end. Cavernous on the inside, as the driver I could have a completely different conversation with my passenger from the passengers in the back and it wouldn't feel like we were talking over each other.

Overall, though, would not recommend. Much preferred the Escalade (as a passenger, I didn't drive the Escalade), but the Escalade is also like $10-30,000 more, so it should be better.

I hate damn Armadas, and Titans, amd Nissans. Junk.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: Submariner on December 14, 2018, 08:04:52 AM
Tesla paint quality is horrendous.

I've seen several Model 3's in town over the past week or so, and the paint looks like it came straight off of a 10 year old Dodge Ram.

Come to think of it, I saw a Model X yesterday, and while the paint quality was better, there were several noticeable misalignments in the panels.

I like Tesla and Musk, but the paint and panel alignment is inexcusable for a Kia, let alone $55,000 - $100,000+ cars.

Yes, I've parked my MX5 next to a Model 3 and I can say that my 50% less expensive car has paint that looks 100x better.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Wards 10 Best Engines of 2019

These are the winners, in alphabetical order.

3.0L (B58) DOHC Turbocharged I-6 (BMW X5)

6.2L OHV V-8 with DFM (Chevrolet Silverado)

5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT/Bullitt)

3.0L DOHC TurboDiesel V-6 (Ford F-150)

2.0L DOHC Atkinson i-VTEC 4-Cyl./HEV (Honda Accord Hybrid)

120-kW Fuel Cell/Electric Propulsion System (Hyundai Nexo)

150-kW Propulsion System (Hyundai Kona EV)

2.0L DOHC VC-Turbo 4-Cyl. (Infiniti QX50)

2.0L DOHC Atkinson 4-Cyl./HEV (Lexus UX 250h)

3.6L DOHC Pentastar eTorque V-6 (Ram 1500)
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Shot this Mystic Blue Mercedes-Benz G500 today for Ovi Cars Munich. Tomorrow I'm shooting (and driving) that Orange Flame Bentley Continental GT!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSG_UY2OPM
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

New Continental GT is gorgeous. Very jealous

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 14, 2018, 12:15:09 PM
Wards 10 Best Engines of 2019

These are the winners, in alphabetical order.

3.0L (B58) DOHC Turbocharged I-6 (BMW X5)

6.2L OHV V-8 with DFM (Chevrolet Silverado)

5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT/Bullitt)

3.0L DOHC TurboDiesel V-6 (Ford F-150)

2.0L DOHC Atkinson i-VTEC 4-Cyl./HEV (Honda Accord Hybrid)

120-kW Fuel Cell/Electric Propulsion System (Hyundai Nexo)

150-kW Propulsion System (Hyundai Kona EV)

2.0L DOHC VC-Turbo 4-Cyl. (Infiniti QX50)

2.0L DOHC Atkinson 4-Cyl./HEV (Lexus UX 250h)

3.6L DOHC Pentastar eTorque V-6 (Ram 1500)

Wards my need to rename their list if they are going to start including electric motivators.  An electric motor is NOT an engine.  Not sure if a fuel cell can actually be considered an engine, either.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: MX793 on December 15, 2018, 11:09:37 AM
An electric motor is NOT an engine.  Not sure if a fuel cell can actually be considered an engine, either.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/engine

Definition that most specifically refers to non-train vehicles:

Quotea machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion

:huh:

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 15, 2018, 11:29:02 AM
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/engine

Definition that most specifically refers to non-train vehicles:

:huh:

Engines burn fuel, converting heat energy.  Motors are devices that impart motion.  An engine can be a motor if it directly provides motivation (as in a traditional automobile), but not all motors are engines, nor all engines motors.  Electric motors do not operate on thermal principles, ergo, you never hear anyone refer to them as electric engines.

Fuel cell is a weird area.  Definitely not a motor, as a fuel cell cannot impart motivation (same reason a battery isn't a motor).  They do consume fuel to create energy, but have no moving parts and don't really operate on a thermodynamic cycle (like Rankine or Otto).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 15, 2018, 11:09:37 AM
Wards my need to rename their list if they are going to start including electric motivators.  An electric motor is NOT an engine.  Not sure if a fuel cell can actually be considered an engine, either.

Yes, it is, by several definitions.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 15, 2018, 11:50:31 AM
Engines burn fuel, converting heat energy.  Motors are devices that impart motion.  An engine can be a motor if it directly provides motivation (as in a traditional automobile), but not all motors are engines, nor all engines motors.  Electric motors do not operate on thermal principles, ergo, you never hear anyone refer to them as electric engines.

Fuel cell is a weird area.  Definitely not a motor, as a fuel cell cannot impart motivation (same reason a battery isn't a motor).  They do consume fuel to create energy, but have no moving parts and don't really operate on a thermodynamic cycle (like Rankine or Otto).

Explain the term "siege engine" now.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 15, 2018, 12:07:50 PM
Explain the term "siege engine" now.

The term is from old French.  "Engine", from ingenium, is a contrivance.  Same meaning behind "search engine".
Needs more Jiggawatts