Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 24, 2019, 03:56:34 PM
I want a Wrangler so bad.  Some day.  I'd almost consider selling Taco and buying a Wrangler, but having a truck bed is just too convenient for a lot of things I use it for, like transporting dirtbike, mountain bike, dirty stuff, firewood, camping stuff, shovels, snowblower, kayak, ladders, lawnmower, 2x4s/etc., and everything else that makes a truck bed so usable.  No external accessories required.

If I stick to being a two-car person, I could definitely see myself ending up with a WRX and a Wrangler a few years from now. With CO weather, it makes more sense to have a year-round sporty car with the Wrangler being the toy.

Galaxy

I want a Wrangler so bad.  Some day.  I'd almost consider selling Taco and buying a Wrangler, but having a truck bed is just too convenient for a lot of things I use it for, like transporting dirtbike, mountain bike, dirty stuff, firewood, camping stuff, shovels, snowblower, kayak, ladders, lawnmower, 2x4s/etc., and everything else that makes a truck bed so usable.  No external accessories required.

Gladiator.

Eye of the Tiger

You will so miss the build quality of the Taco. Wranglers are ... Jeeps .. which are just ... well, now they are FCA, but even before they were just Chrysler.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Eh, Wranglers are ancient, rugged design.  If there's one FCA product I'd trust, it's a Wrangler.  I wouldn't be buying a new one with electronic gizmos and junk anyway.  My price range would probably be more like newer TJ or older JK.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 24, 2019, 08:09:59 PM
Eh, Wranglers are ancient, rugged design.  If there's one FCA product I'd trust, it's a Wrangler.  I wouldn't be buying a new one with electronic gizmos and junk anyway.  My price range would probably be more like newer TJ or older JK.

TJ is the last Jeep I would want to mess with. JK is kind of a mess.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 24, 2019, 08:09:59 PM

Had a couple of Chrysler products in the family in the 2000s and none of their issues were related to electronics.  Brother's Neon had a radiator failure that pumped transmission fluid from the trans cooler into the engine coolant circuit.  His Dakota had slipping transmission issues (relatively easy fix) and went through wheel bearings every 10k miles.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

My buddy just bought a 2001 330i as a fun car. I checked it out with him. It's in good condition, a couple minor dents and some loose trim, but no rust, the mechanicals are good, and the owner has 18 years of meticulously kept maintenance records. The guy is a real car guy, as well as a BMW guy. His daily driver is a final year E39 540i 6 speed, and it is spotless. His wife just got a Tesla Model 3, though, and she says she's never going back to internal combustion.

But, like, these are the people you want to buy a used car from.

I don't have any pics of the 330, I'll snap some next weekend when we pick it up.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

E46s are cheap enough to pick up for lols, but then so is something like a Z. I can't shake the idea of grabbing a 370Z for a track car... I am certain they are approaching a bottom in terms of prices
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 25, 2019, 08:37:02 AM
E46s are cheap enough to pick up for lols, but then so is something like a Z. I can't shake the idea of grabbing a 370Z for a track car... I am certain they are approaching a bottom in terms of prices

It's a car he's wanted since the E46 came out and this was a clean example with a documented history. Plus it was only $3,000.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/davie/fl-ne-davie-tesla-crash-fole-20190225-story.html

Son of a family friend. Conflicting reports I've heard say that the Tesla may have caught fire before the crash. Not sure how it actually happened, though. Guess we'll never know.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

Maybe the black box survived? Poor guy.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Did people everywhere forget how to accelerate on onramps? JFC I am sick of merging with the interstate at 40mph..

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on February 25, 2019, 09:13:34 PM
Did people everywhere forget how to accelerate on onramps? JFC I am sick of merging with the interstate at 40mph..

Too busy updating facsebook status to "merging on interstate".

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 25, 2019, 09:21:41 PM
:clap:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 25, 2019, 09:21:41 PM

30 people thought this was LOL
5 people thought this was ROFL
3 people thought this was WTF

12,000 RPM

"Behind u lol" (screen shot with stickers)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on February 25, 2019, 09:12:57 PM
Maybe the black box survived? Poor guy.

I don't know. My mom was having a really tough time with it. He had five kids, too.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

All signs point to right rear toe link snapping, sending a wheel way off the vehicle and onto the curb.  Car hit the tree, thermal runaway of some battery cells caught the battery coolant on fire.   Once that happens, it's burning to the ground.

People at the scene were reporting they couldn't open the door to get him out because the handles were retracted :(  Really awful stuff.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

shp4man

Electric Mustang Crossover...those words don't go together very well.

Eye of the Tiger

Introducing the new Mustang Tesla AMC Eagle GLH. Let's completely skip the obviously great idea of a normal Mustang, stretched a bit with four doors, maybe with a high performance electric boost. Instead, here is a ridiculous HotWheels/TRAXXAS thing. Batteries not included.

Eye of the Tiger

Hot news. My Moter Trund magazine says CR-V is best little SUV/CUV thing.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 26, 2019, 04:49:58 PM
Electric Mustang Crossover...those words don't go together very well.
I know, and it looks stupid as well.  There is, imo, no more ugly looking vehicle than those bulbous shaped inflated station wagons.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 26, 2019, 09:28:11 PM
Hot news. My Moter Trund magazine says CR-V is best little SUV/CUV thing.

Fast Fact, CX-5 ought to be in first since the CR-V should be DQ'd for doping its oil with gasoline

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on February 27, 2019, 11:32:13 AM
Fast Fact, CX-5 ought to be in first since the CR-V should be DQ'd for doping its oil with gasoline

Protip: Honda is innocent until proven guilty.

Laconian

News flash: Mazda #1