Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Payman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 05, 2019, 02:04:06 PM
If I had $120k to drop on a toy car, I could definitely see myself going for that over a more mainstream car in that price range.

I'd rather drop 25k on a basic Caterham.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on March 06, 2019, 06:31:44 AM
The sensor is in the mirror, facing forward. His flag triggered it.

That is also pretty damned stupid.

Let's make sure our warning sensors have the same blind spots as a driver; and also let's not ignore signals that detect an object is already inside the car.

Would the car panic brake for ice on the upper windshield, or a stray plastic bag as well?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

I read that Ghosn finally got out of jail (9 million bail).

Why is everyone wearing a surgical facemask though? Is there a flu epidemic in Japan?

giant_mtb

It's what Asians do. It's high fashion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 06, 2019, 07:20:51 AM

Let's make sure our warning sensors have the same blind spots as a driver; and also let's not ignore signals that detect an object is already inside the car.

Would the car panic brake for ice on the upper windshield, or a stray plastic bag as well?

Automation is The Future! They're safe and do No Wrong!

Except when they aren't safe and drive like a fidgety 9 year old.

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 06, 2019, 07:20:51 AM

:confused:

The sensors deactivate if ice is blocking.  I don't think it's unreasonable the car braked when I go threw a flag over the sensor?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

RomanChariot

Quote from: MrH on March 06, 2019, 08:42:19 AM

The sensors deactivate if ice is blocking.  I don't think it's unreasonable the car braked when I go threw a flag over the sensor?

I don't think it was the flag. The car sensed his left arm coming down over the mirror area and slammed on the brakes.

giant_mtb

So THAT'S why they have the little "no hands" symbol by those things. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Tech is stupid. Give me carburetors or give me death  :erjerbs:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

I've anecdotally heard of instances when ice/snow/dirt over collision sensors have caused problems.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 06, 2019, 08:02:58 AM
Why is everyone wearing a surgical facemask though? Is there a flu epidemic in Japan?

It probably prevents them from inhaling the evilness within that man...  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Any object that close is either inside the car or squatting on the hood, and therefore should not be treated the same as an obstacle in front of the vehicle.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on March 06, 2019, 10:16:51 AM
I've anecdotally heard of instances when ice/snow/dirt over collision sensors have caused problems.

The sensors on the back of my wife's Durango would not let me back it up until I cleared them. Brakes would apply as soon as I put it in reverse.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 06, 2019, 01:14:21 PM
The sensors on the back of my wife's Durango would not let me back it up until I cleared them. Brakes would apply as soon as I put it in reverse.

These are the reasons I give when I say autonomous vehicles will never fucking work in places like........here.  Drive down the road on a snowy day...the entire rear of your vehicle is covered in snow, including the sensors.  What're these things gonna do?  Stop and leave you stranded?  WONDERFUL.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 06, 2019, 01:17:31 PM
These are the reasons I give when I say autonomous vehicles will never fucking work in places like........here.  Drive down the road on a snowy day...the entire rear of your vehicle is covered in snow, including the sensors.  What're these things gonna do?  Stop and leave you stranded?  WONDERFUL.

I mean, humans work off of sensors too - eyes, ears, nerve endings. So we invented devices to keep windows clear.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 06, 2019, 03:43:35 PM
I mean, humans work off of sensors too - eyes, ears, nerve endings. So we invented devices to keep windows clear.

I don't automatically brake when there's rain on my window.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 06, 2019, 04:40:58 PM
I don't automatically brake when there's rain on my window.

South Carolina does. Clouds? Turn on wipers on high speed, update Facebook status to "driving through a storm''. Prepare for disaster by eating tacos and/or touching up eyeshadow. A rain drop hits the windshield? Brake pedal to the floor, and make sure to straddle two lanes of traffic before stopping. Two rain drops? Turn wipers off and accelerate into oncoming traffic. There is no longer any hope. Three rain drops? You don't even want to know.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

I like the version of the Continental that is celebrating 100 years of Bentley.

FoMoJo

It's a nice fluid shape, but the old number 9 would be a lot more fun to drive.  Can you imagine blasting down the Mulsanne Straight at around 140 mph.  Besides, it was James Bond's car.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 06, 2019, 04:51:34 PM
South Carolina does. Clouds? Turn on wipers on high speed, update Facebook status to "driving through a storm''. Prepare for disaster by eating tacos and/or touching up eyeshadow. A rain drop hits the windshield? Brake pedal to the floor, and make sure to straddle two lanes of traffic before stopping. Two rain drops? Turn wipers off and accelerate into oncoming traffic. There is no longer any hope. Three rain drops? You don't even want to know.

YOU TOTALLY FORGOT TO TURN ON THE HAZARD LIGHTS
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 06, 2019, 03:43:35 PM

I don't brake the moment my rear end is covered in snow.  In fact, it's a reason to maintain usage of filament bulbs for the tail lights...they generate heat and usually melt the snow so that the people behind you can see your lights.  LEDs?  Nope. Covered.  Just like the proximity sensors.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 07, 2019, 06:21:25 PM
YOU TOTALLY FORGOT TO TURN ON THE HAZARD LIGHTS

Oh yeah, in the left lane of the highway.
Ummm ... if you're a hazard, then pull the fuck over! :facepalm:

12,000 RPM

I don't know how, but the 20s I got for the Optima ride so much better than the stock wheel/tire setup. Stock setup was the 18s with Ironman I-Move Gen 3s in 225/45. I got General G-MAX AS05s in 245/35. The ride is just way more supple. Let's see if I can ruin it with coilovers :facepalm:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 08, 2019, 01:05:00 PM
I don't know how, but the 20s I got for the Optima ride so much better than the stock wheel/tire setup. Stock setup was the 18s with Ironman I-Move Gen 3s in 225/45. I got General G-MAX AS05s in 245/35. The ride is just way more supple. Let's see if I can ruin it with coilovers :facepalm:
Pics!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 08, 2019, 01:05:00 PM

Lighter than the old set?

CaminoRacer

Optima is not worthy of coilovers

12,000 RPM

We are not talking Ohlins R&T here. And lowering springs on stock shocks is dumb. I just want to close the wheel gap and retain some ride quality.

Anyway, I like the look. I think the new setup weighs the same as the old setup. The old setup probably just had rock hard sidewalls. I don't think I'll ever get Michelins but I def won't cheap out on tires. There are too many decent UHP A/S options out there.

A while back I threw the old G37 19s on. Not a fan. Rubbed and just looked stupid. I think the offset messed with the steering too.

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 08, 2019, 03:20:36 PM
Optima is not worthy of coilovers

Shut your whore mouth. I want to see this happen.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 08, 2019, 03:37:33 PM
We are not talking Ohlins R&T here. And lowering springs on stock shocks is dumb. I just want to close the wheel gap and retain some ride quality.

Anyway, I like the look. I think the new setup weighs the same as the old setup. The old setup probably just had rock hard sidewalls. I don't think I'll ever get Michelins but I def won't cheap out on tires. There are too many decent UHP A/S options out there.

:cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

It looks fine at that ride height.