Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Soup DeVille

Prepared track and drag radials, and most RWD cars have trouble holding 5-600 hp off the line without electronic aids. Make that 3-400 for normal tires on normal roads.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Even w/ electronic aids you still need driving skills

Just bums me out that GM is going to such great lengths to endow the Vette with capabilities its buyers can't use in the first place. Whole thing seems like a waste of time
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 21, 2019, 11:09:06 AM

Just bums me out that GM is going to such great lengths to endow the Vette with capabilities its buyers can't use in the first place. Whole thing seems like a waste of time

Bruh have you seen the P1, LaFerrari, Huracan, Ford GT? Why is it a problem when GM does it?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 21, 2019, 11:29:18 AM
Bruh have you seen the P1, LaFerrari, Huracan, Ford GT? Why is it a problem when GM does it?

Wondering that myself. Tis a halo car...it better be able to do things most people aren't capable of.

12,000 RPM

McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini are all in great financial standing and specialize in high performance cars. LaFerrari & P1 are tech studies for the inevitable hybridization that's coming. Ford GT was equally wasteful and unnecessary IMO.

I just can't be excited about these cars when I know they have some part in many people being robbed of affordable mainstreamers and thousands of people being out of work. You can say 'o no thats a different budget'... bullshit, ultimately it all comes out of the same pot. Someone looked at available capital and decided to spend it on this rather than something more applicable to the mainstream. And it's not like it's a truck or SUV that will yield huge developmental payback, both monetarily or tech wise... what's gonna carry over to the rest of the company outside of the engines? I'm not sold
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Poop rods? :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 21, 2019, 12:15:34 PM
McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini are all in great financial standing and specialize in high performance cars. LaFerrari & P1 are tech studies for the inevitable hybridization that's coming. Ford GT was equally wasteful and unnecessary IMO.

I just can't be excited about these cars when I know they have some part in many people being robbed of affordable mainstreamers and thousands of people being out of work. You can say 'o no thats a different budget'... bullshit, ultimately it all comes out of the same pot. Someone looked at available capital and decided to spend it on this rather than something more applicable to the mainstream. And it's not like it's a truck or SUV that will yield huge developmental payback, both monetarily or tech wise... what's gonna carry over to the rest of the company outside of the engines? I'm not sold

Are you a car enthusiast or a business case enthusiast?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 21, 2019, 12:17:49 PM
Poop rods? :huh:

Ford has finally seen the light on those ;)

giant_mtb

It's the Corvette's fault that some people don't have jobs?  It's the Corvette's fault that you can buy a Chebby Spark for <$14k MSRP...?  Shit, a Cruze starts at $18k...that's a pretty affordable mainstreamer.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 21, 2019, 12:24:30 PM
Ford has finally seen the light on those ;)
For trucks :lol:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

BimmerM3

I'd be surprised if the Corvette had much influence on whether or not they decided to continue producing sedans. Sure, there's some limit to their R&D budget, but if there was a strong pro-sedan business case, they'd figure out a way to make it happen.

I don't have the market research and business case analysis that they based their decision off of so I can't speak to whether or not I agree, but it's not like a bunch of execs sat down in a room and had to choose between a MR 'Vette and every other car they make.

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 21, 2019, 12:42:20 PM
It's the Corvette's fault that some people don't have jobs?  It's the Corvette's fault that you can buy a Chebby Spark for <$14k MSRP...?  Shit, a Cruze starts at $18k...that's a pretty affordable mainstreamer.

Well to be fair to Sporty, I think he's talking about the next generation of those vehicles that will never come, not those that are currently available.

MrH

:confused:  There's so much to unpack here...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

GM is doing bad?

Cadillac might be misstepping and I'm not convinced axing all car shapes was a good idea, but they're more profitable than ever

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on March 21, 2019, 01:47:46 PM
GM is doing bad?

Cadillac might be misstepping and I'm not convinced axing all car shapes was a good idea, but they're more profitable than ever

:lol:

I didn't even bother to double check the premise that they weren't doing great financially.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 21, 2019, 11:09:06 AM

PLENTY of Vette owners can/do handle the power these cars make. The majority can't but that can be said of many vehicles! How many Jeep Owners can explore the limits of the rig off road?  Does that stop Jeep from making them even more capable with each refresh? How many Civic Type R owners can handle that car at the limits? Hell most people can't get an Accord to its limits! Should GM stop making cars that have limits higher than 95% of the motoring public can handle? If that's the case we all should be riding around in Bolts....

RIGHT! And GM will do it for half the price! WIN WIN!!!

You're acting like GM isn't selling PLENTY of mainstream vehicles! LOL!!!! Out of all the cars/SUVs/Trucks  they sell across the brands they should be able to have a lil fun with the Vette and Camaro!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

CaminoRacer

I've raced against him before when he had a Grand Sport. I like the 240Z a lot more.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 22, 2019, 10:02:25 AM
I've raced against him before when he had a Grand Sport. I like the 240Z a lot more.
Did you beat him? :praise:

Laconian

Audi-owning friend of mine was bitten by the shitty VW GDI carbon buildup bugaboo. Stealership wants $$$.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

Quote from: Laconian on March 22, 2019, 12:06:40 PM
Audi-owning friend of mine was bitten by the shitty VW GDI carbon buildup bugaboo. Stealership wants $$$.

There may be a chemical fix, rather than a teardown.

shp4man

Rush Limbaugh's favorite car? Mercedes Maybach 57s.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on March 22, 2019, 12:53:51 PM

Maybachs aint Mercedes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: shp4man on March 22, 2019, 12:53:51 PM

Pfff.  When I'm snorting prescription pain killers I want the seats to recline all the way flat.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 22, 2019, 01:33:58 PM
Maybachs aint Mercedes.

The new "maybach" is a stretched LWB S-class.

Unless you're talking about the time when Willhem was making the Maybachs.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on March 22, 2019, 01:35:06 PM
The new "maybach" is a stretched LWB S-class.

Unless you're talking about the time when Willhem was making the Maybachs.

Its the same thing when people say "Lincoln Continental Mark II.".

May as well be talking about Volkswagen Bugattis.

BimmerM3

Maybach was a separate make during the era of the 57 and 62, a la Rolls for BMW or Bentley for VW.

It is correct to call the current iteration a "Mercedes-Maybach" though. https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/class/maybach-s-class/sedan

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 22, 2019, 01:52:18 PM
Maybach was a separate make during the era of the 57 and 62, a la Rolls for BMW or Bentley for VW.

It is correct to call the current iteration a "Mercedes-Maybach" though. https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/class/maybach-s-class/sedan

Which aren't 57s.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 22, 2019, 02:14:16 PM
Which aren't 57s.

Right. I wasn't disagreeing with you - just supplementing.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 22, 2019, 02:20:39 PM
Right. I wasn't disagreeing with you - just supplementing.

Is anybody surprised Rush's info is at best half-right?

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 22, 2019, 02:22:51 PM
Is anybody surprised Rush's info is at best half-right?

Or maybe far right.  ;)

He said Schnerdly was at an MB dealer getting his car serviced and saw it on the showroom.Told Limbaugh about it, Limbaugh checked it out, was impressed with the quiet and comfort, wrote a check.
Also said his first car was a new '69 LeMans, blue, white vinyl top and interior.