Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 18, 2019, 11:28:21 AM
You saying that they're delicate little snowflakes that need to be coddled or they'll throw a tantrum? :huh: :lol:

They should all be put in museums, to be eaten by sinkholes.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 18, 2019, 10:16:43 AM
:lol:

My one worry with a Mustang is that I'm pitching it to my wife as a shared car (we could trade off every week or something), but idk if she'll like it. She likes sitting more upright, so she'd have to get used to the big long hood, sitting lower, and having less visibility compared to a Civic/Mazda6/etc.

Any real full time AWD thing, like a cheapass, oldass Scoobaru Imp, is gonna be so much more fun in the snow because of the rate of acceleration that is achievable with almost no traction. Turn off traction control, floor it, and say bye bye to 2wd traffic.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 18, 2019, 11:02:56 AM
Maybe we should have some driving tests that determine if you're allowed to drive a car yourself or should be forced to use autopilot.

I think these are folks that used to have decent mass transit systems. The 'burbs require cars.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

HurricaneSteve

I know nothing about snowmobiles, sorry. But I'll take your word for it!

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 17, 2019, 09:49:54 PM
What do they make snow mobiles out of? Oh yeah, fiberglass. Yeah, it can crack, but Mustangs can rust.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 18, 2019, 12:14:38 PM
Any real full time AWD thing, like a cheapass, oldass Scoobaru Imp, is gonna be so much more fun in the snow because of the rate of acceleration that is achievable with almost no traction. Turn off traction control, floor it, and say bye bye to 2wd traffic.

I don't really drive in the snow that much. Just wintery gross-ness.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 18, 2019, 01:00:09 PM

But I thought you were looking for a driving around the mountains car? Or will you go only in good weather?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 18, 2019, 01:17:41 PM
But I thought you were looking for a driving around the mountains car? Or will you go only in good weather?

I'm not sure I'll actually do that, even if I have a good truck/Jeep-thing. :lol: I think I would just end up mall-crawling. So in that case, I might as well plow into a crowd of pedestrians while I'm at it.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 18, 2019, 01:30:51 PM
I'm not sure I'll actually do that, even if I have a good truck/Jeep-thing. :lol: I think I would just end up mall-crawling. So in that case, I might as well plow into a crowd of pedestrians while I'm at it.

Fair enough. My next car plan changes weekly, if not more often, so I get it. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 18, 2019, 01:40:40 PM
Fair enough. My next car plan changes weekly, if not more often, so I get it. :lol:

I also think that if I were to get a mountain vehicle now, I'd end up replacing the Mazda6 with another sedan at some point. And I'd end up with a truck and a sedan. But if I got a Rustang now, I could replace the Mazda6 with a 4 door mountain-ready vehicle and then I'd have Rustang + truck. Seems like a better combo to me.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 18, 2019, 01:00:09 PM

Oh, so C5 is back at #1 :ohyeah:

CaminoRacer

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 18, 2019, 02:25:13 PM
Oh, so C5 is back at #1 :ohyeah:
You don't understand.  He really just wants the Mustang, but doesn't want to admit it :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 18, 2019, 03:06:27 PM
You don't understand.  He really just wants the Mustang, but doesn't want to admit it :huh:.

I understand. I want one, too. I just wish the Corvette was a 4-door. 1st gen CTS-V? GTO?

Eye of the Tiger

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 18, 2019, 03:22:41 PM
I understand. I want one, too. I just wish the Corvette was a 4-door. 1st gen CTS-V? GTO?

Sporty?  Is that you?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on April 18, 2019, 03:31:36 PM
Sporty?  Is that you?

Did I say anything about coilovers?

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 18, 2019, 03:35:40 PM
Did I say anything about coilovers?

Need to go back to classic, pre-coilover Sporty.  When he'd say things like "Why is the Mustang so big and yet it can't fit a giant carseat in the back?  Why can't Ford make a Mustang the size and weight of a Miata, but with a large enough back seat for a rear facing child seat and maybe rear doors?"
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on April 18, 2019, 03:43:03 PM
Need to go back to classic, pre-coilover Sporty.  When he'd say things like "Why is the Mustang so big and yet it can't fit a giant carseat in the back?  Why can't Ford make a Mustang the size and weight of a Miata, but with a large enough back seat for a rear facing child seat and maybe rear doors?"

Replace car seat with 120 pounds of dogs. I agree. I want a 4-door Mustang that drives like a Miata. It is entirely possible to build, but there is no market for it.

giant_mtb

Well shit.  Turns out Taco doesn't need a new FL wheel bearing...it needs a new brake pad.  One pad is completely worn down, so that's what I was hearing.  Luckily, I somehow have two extra sets of pads that I have accidentally ordered over the years.

Can I get away with taking out the shit pad, squeezing the pistons back, and installing one new fresh pad?  Will I need to bleed or anything?  The other pad still has plenty of life left.  The rotor is kinda fucked, so I'll probably go grab a rotor, too, but...?  Does this mean the other side of the caliper's pistons are probably stuck?

Eye of the Tiger

Cheapest assest way: put a new cheap ass brake pad on. Make sure the caliper slide pins are free. Save up for new pads and rotors up front.

MX793

Is it a fixed or floating caliper?  If it's a floater, you'll want to pull the slide pins and clean and lubricate them with some grease.  Check the rubber boots that protect them and make sure they're in good shape or you'll be repeating this again in a year.

If it's a fixed caliper, your caliper is probably seized and needs to be replaced.
Needs more Jiggawatts

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2019, 04:58:55 PM
Well shit.  Turns out Taco doesn't need a new FL wheel bearing...it needs a new brake pad.  One pad is completely worn down, so that's what I was hearing.  Luckily, I somehow have two extra sets of pads that I have accidentally ordered over the years.

Can I get away with taking out the shit pad, squeezing the pistons back, and installing one new fresh pad?  Will I need to bleed or anything?  The other pad still has plenty of life left.  The rotor is kinda fucked, so I'll probably go grab a rotor, too, but...?  Does this mean the other side of the caliper's pistons are probably stuck?

Replace caliper , rotor and pads. Expect brake pull if you don't do both sides.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 18, 2019, 05:01:37 PM
Cheapest assest way: put a new cheap ass brake pad on. Make sure the caliper slide pins are free. Save up for new pads and rotors up front.

Well, if I return the hub assembly I bought ($110), I can get a new rotor no problem.  Already have pads.  Gonna check the other side while I'm at it and see how those pads are doing.

giant_mtb

SCORE.  I have a new caliper sitting in Taco's parts bin, too!  Need rotor.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2019, 05:07:14 PM

Pretty cheap. Best course of action. Dont be afraid of bleeding, you can gravity bleed. Got time, right?

Eye of the Tiger

Brakes are overrated. I put a new starter on an oval Taurus wagon today for some dirt poor, no give a shit, cheapskate, trashy motherfuckers. I took a look underneath and notice the left rear brake caliper... or the lack of one. It had been removed, and there was a screw in the end of the brake hose. I can't make this shit up.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2019, 05:07:14 PM
I love finding surprises like that in my parts bins ... except when I no longer have the vehicle.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on April 18, 2019, 05:09:00 PM
Pretty cheap. Best course of action.

Yeah, I'll go return the hub assembly and get a rotor instead.  If the other side is good (ie, not frozen up), can I just stick fresh pads in there to avoid any pulling and skip replacing the caliper and rotor?

Eye of the Tiger

Protip: you'll have to bleed your new caliper. Get a speed bleeder, or a full set or four for your truck. Most parts stores carry them now, although the retired shoe salesman at the parts counter may not have a clue what it is.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 18, 2019, 05:15:03 PM
Protip: you'll have to bleed your new caliper. Get a speed bleeder, or a full set or four for your truck. Most parts stores carry them now, although the retired shoe salesman at the parts counter not have a clue what it is.

The guy at the local O'Reilly is pretty knowledgeable.