Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

shp4man

This isn't political at all.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on May 28, 2019, 01:50:59 PM
Theoretically, not knowing how to change a tire could be fatal. Middle of summer, Nevada desert, out of cell phone range, no water to drink and no or "not stopping" traffic.
Slow flakes melt in those conditions.
I taught my daughters how to change a tire.

Congratulations.  But it isn't just "this generation" that doesn't know how to change a tire.  So get off the horse.  Why is whether or not you can change a tire the epitome of manhood or whatever-the-hell to you, anyway? :wtf:

BimmerM3

Quote from: shp4man on May 28, 2019, 01:54:43 PM

If you say so (99.9% of the time that term comes up, it's out of a conservative's mouth referencing something/someone liberal).

But whatever. I edited my post to add millennials as an option. Either way, it's a lazy way to ignore a large group of the population without any sort of critical thought.

2o6

Quote from: shp4man on May 28, 2019, 01:50:59 PM
Theoretically, not knowing how to change a tire could be fatal. Middle of summer, Nevada desert, out of cell phone range, no water to drink and no or "not stopping" traffic.
Slow flakes melt in those conditions.
I taught my daughters how to change a tire.

Ok and? I don't know anyone who can't change a tire if needed.

Eye of the Tiger

People just suck. The last time I stopped to help a stranded motorist, they shooed me away and said they woild rather have a mechanic look at it, and they were calling a tow truck. Fuck you, then.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on May 28, 2019, 01:54:43 PM
Bullshit but what's new.

Most people can't change a tire and in any case it's not rocket science.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Speed_Racer

A lot of people who whine about "damn millennials" are complaining about teens/college kids (Gen Z)  :rolleyes:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on May 28, 2019, 01:33:34 PM
Wimmer is correct. The current generation of young men are mostly snowflakes.

Mommy! Mommy! Call somebody! I got a flat tire!

:lol:

I spend a fair amount of time with Boy Scouts (I'm the High Adventure counselor with my son's troop, which means scouts older than 14).

I find these kids very impressive. They are smart, talented, and resourceful in a way I never was at that age. They help each other out, and boost each other up when the going gets tough. Yes, they're too attached to their phones, and certain skills they are lacking; but they are willing to learn, and if they lack some basic skills, is that their fault, or ours?

Almost always when I hear "millenials" anything, I immediately brand the one using that term as old, bitter, and small minded.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Everybody is fucking hooked on their phones now. The addiction knows no boundaries.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 28, 2019, 02:27:30 PM
Everybody is fucking hooked on their phones now. The addiction knows no boundaries.

Yeah, even my 93 year old grandma loves her iPad.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 28, 2019, 02:22:38 PM
I spend a fair amount of time with Boy Scouts (I'm the High Adventure counselor with my son's troop, which means scouts older than 14).

I find these kids very impressive. They are smart, talented, and resourceful in a way I never was at that age. They help each other out, and boost each other up when the going gets tough. Yes, they're too attached to their phones, and certain skills they are lacking; but they are willing to learn, and if they lack some basic skills, is that their fault, or ours?

Almost always when I hear "millenials" anything, I immediately brand the one using that term as old, bitter, and small minded.

You have to realize that thr vast majority of teenagers and 20-sumtings are not/were not Boy Scouts. You are dealing with a minority of higher quality individuals.

shp4man

Of course not all kids are helpless around mechanical things. It seems to me that there's less desire for them to learn about machines.
Kids no longer can ride their bikes to school as much as some of the earlier generations did. Or have to fix it when there's a flat or the chain comes off.
I don't think many of them care about cars, either.
That's just the wave of the future, I guess.
Still, there is that Nevada desert scenario.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 28, 2019, 02:27:30 PM

This is true. It is however, the one thing that's accurate about the "millenial" stereotype that I see.

You know what hobby "millenials" have also made popular? Blacksmithing. Fucking blacksmithing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: shp4man on May 28, 2019, 02:42:28 PM
Of course not all kids are helpless around mechanical things. It seems to me that there's less desire for them to learn about machines.
Kids no longer can ride their bikes to school as much as some of the earlier generations did. Or have to fix it when there's a flat or the chain comes off.

Depends on the machine. I bet that most millennials and gen-zers know more about computers than you do.

Not being as interested in cars isn't indicative of the downfall of humankind like people who use the term "snowflake" seem to think.

Exactly how many deaths occur each year because someone gets stranded in the desert from a flat tire?

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 28, 2019, 02:43:25 PM
This is true. It is however, the one thing that's accurate about the "millenial" stereotype that I see.

You know what hobby "millenials" have also made popular? Blacksmithing. Fucking blacksmithing.

One of my HS Friends majored in it and she's making a decent living making jewelry and other wild shit.

2o6

I hate the "millennials aren't interested in cars, they'd rather use Uber!" trope as well.

Millennials absolutely are interested in cars.

No one has any fucking money. That's the real issue. Taking a taxi is not the same as owning and driving a car; millennials aren't dumb - we know the difference.

The vast majority of my friends are doing good to buy a used Honda Civic.

veeman

What worries me more about teaching my daughter how to change a flat tire (in the outside chance she's driving through the Nevada desert in an area without cell phone service) is the chance she gets run over changing it because she didn't pull over far enough on the shoulder or she gets kidnapped.  It's better she call her insurance company and they call a tow truck.  All this is fully reimbursed by your insurance without your rates going up. 

I know it's not the cool pull yourself up by your own bootstraps mantra, but it's the smarter thing to do.  Especially for a teenager girl/young woman. 

I do plan on teaching her how to drive a stick shift though. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: veeman on May 28, 2019, 02:52:59 PM
What worries me more about teaching my daughter how to change a flat tire (in the outside chance she's driving through the Nevada desert in an area without cell phone service) is the chance she gets run over changing it because she didn't pull over far enough on the shoulder or she gets kidnapped.  It's better she call her insurance company and they call a tow truck.  All this is fully reimbursed by your insurance without your rates going up. 

I know it's not the cool pull yourself up by your own bootstraps mantra, but it's the smarter thing to do.  Especially for a teenager girl/young woman. 

I do plan on teaching her how to drive a stick shift though. 

:hesaid:

I did a quick Google search to see if I could find a single example of someone dying in the desert because of a flat tire, and mostly what came up was stories about people getting struck by cars while they're changing their tire.

Soup DeVille

Kids aren't Allowed out as much. They didn't decide that. If kids are unprepared for life, its our fault, not theirs.

giant_mtb

I like how you just come up with these random tropes.  "Kids can't put their damn bike chains back on like they used to!"  Really?  Are you going around taking surveys about this shit? :wtf:

shp4man

Damn, this really sounds like old man shit, but yes, there was a time when young men weren't so damn helpless if something quit working.
They are good with phones, though. I'll give you that.
If it's on Google, maybe they can fix it.

Edit: I'm not talking about you guys. Car enthusiasts are exempt.  :muffin:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on May 28, 2019, 03:51:14 PM
Damn, this really sounds like old man shit, but yes, there was a time when young men weren't so damn helpless if something quit working.
They are good with phones, though. I'll give you that.
If it's on Google, maybe they can fix it.

Edit: I'm not talking about you guys. Car enthusiasts are exempt.  :muffin:

Lets put this in simple terms.

Kids aint born knowing shit.

Its the parents job to teach them.

If kids who don't know shit turn into adults who don't know shit, who's to blame?

cawimmer430

I complain about many things, but I also feel that some of my complaints are warranted.

And yes, we have many new Snowflakes in my country as for example evidenced by Germany being the only country in Europe in which the Green Party got over 20% of votes during the recent elections. This is an alarming trend because this is a potential indicator of what the future German elections have in store. I had a look at the Facebook page of the Greens after their win and the comments on there disgusted, enraged and shocked me.

"Death to the German car industry! Who cares about their jobs? Preventing climate change is more important!"

"Bring on the CO2-Tax! Make driving painful! People should take a train or a bicycle everywhere!"

Cities should be completely car free! Ride a bicycle!

Stupid Green Party voters and brainwashed teenage SNOWFLAKES spew ^these types of comments^. I'm no fan of the Green Party, which used to be an environmentalist party, but now has become a radical left Communist-like party with ties to ANTIFA.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BimmerM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 28, 2019, 04:03:43 PM
I complain about many things, but I also feel that some of my complaints are warranted.

And yes, we have many new Snowflakes in my country as for example evidenced by Germany being the only country in Europe in which the Green Party got over 20% of votes during the recent elections. This is an alarming trend because this is a potential indicator of what the future German elections have in store. I had a look at the Facebook page of the Greens after their win and the comments on there disgusted, enraged and shocked me.

"Death to the German car industry! Who cares about their jobs? Preventing climate change is more important!"

"Bring on the CO2-Tax! Make driving painful! People should take a train or a bicycle everywhere!"

Cities should be completely car free! Ride a bicycle!

Stupid Green Party voters and brainwashed teenage SNOWFLAKES spew ^these types of comments^. I'm no fan of the Green Party, which used to be an environmentalist party, but now has become a radical left Communist-like party with ties to ANTIFA.

Oh ok. Now that you typed "snowflakes" in all caps, everything makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

veeman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 28, 2019, 02:56:02 PM
:hesaid:

I did a quick Google search to see if I could find a single example of someone dying in the desert because of a flat tire, and mostly what came up was stories about people getting struck by cars while they're changing their tire.

The number of times I see dudes changing a tire on a highway with their ass a few inches from the right driving lane of the highway... sometimes at night and in the rain. 

One time I pulled into a Dominos parking lot and there's a guy sprawled out on the ground of the real dark parking lot, perpendicular to his pickup, changing his tire.  It's one of those alley narrow parking lots.  So after almost running him over, I roll down my window and holler, "I almost ran you over.  No one can see you."  And he ignores me.  So I say it louder.  He looks up.  He doesn't look/act like he understands English.  So I park my car, get out, and make arm/hand motions indicating he's going to get run over.  I think he's going to ignore my advice.  So I get my pizza and tell the Dominos' dudes that there's this guy outside changing his tire and he's going to get run over in your parking lot and guess who his family is going to sue?  Lol three guys go out and tell him to get his ass up. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 28, 2019, 02:43:25 PM

I would love to build a little forge and play with some burning metal. It's on my list of things.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 28, 2019, 04:27:44 PM
I would love to build a little forge and play with some burning metal. It's on my list of things.

Build me a sword.  ;) :ohyeah:

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 28, 2019, 04:00:00 PM
Lets put this in simple terms.

Kids aint born knowing shit.

Its the parents job to teach them.

If kids who don't know shit turn into adults who don't know shit, who's to blame?

That's true.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on May 28, 2019, 04:41:18 PM
Build me a sword.  ;) :ohyeah:

I was thinking of making some connecting rods for Dakota in case I put a turbo on it. Maybe later I can cast some dished pistons. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 28, 2019, 04:27:44 PM

Me too.