Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Laconian

It's like physical world DRM.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Photoshop Fun!  :tounge:

Want me to ruin your car? Send a pic!  :tounge:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 24, 2019, 11:28:59 AM
It's too bad modern cars put side air bags in the seats. Really kills any hope for aftermarket replacements

Yep.  It's really hard to recognize bad seats until you've had the car for awhile too, unfortunately.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on September 24, 2019, 02:24:27 PM
Yep.  It's really hard to recognize bad seats until you've had the car for awhile too, unfortunately.

Yeah, first impressions definitely don't tell the whole story. Maybe look at used Volvos? If the seats matter so much, they are among the best in the bizness.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Are Nissan's Zero-G seats supposed to be really good?  Unfortunately, the rest of the vehicle will be pretty mediocre...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

Quote from: MrH on September 24, 2019, 09:43:53 AM
I think they go for like $45k well equipped.  I'm not a huge fan of SUV seating positions.  It's like you're sitting on a bar stool.  Outback has your legs out in front of you more, which I like.  A V60 Polestar would be perfect, but it's almost $70k :lol:  Even a decent V60 Cross Country is about $50k.

I can get a loaded Mazda 3 hatchback for $28k.  World of difference price wise.  I don't feel too bad dumping the Accord and paying a little extra for a Mazda 3 if it means no more back issues.  I can't justify dropping $25k more

V60/90 Volvos are really sexy things that's for sure, didn't realize they get that expensive.  Yikes.  Does the V60 also have the manual adjustable coils like the XC60 Polestar?  That's such a weird thing to put on an SUV that you almost have to respect  :lol:

When are you going to look at the Mazda?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 24, 2019, 01:39:24 PM
Photoshop Fun!  :tounge:

Want me to ruin your car? Send a pic!  :tounge:

Yes please! If I put my Fiesta up for sale on Autotrader, I would love one of these for the main image. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 24, 2019, 11:28:59 AM
It's too bad modern cars put side air bags in the seats. Really kills any hope for aftermarket replacements

I could fairly easily fool the airbag system so it doesn't activate a DTC for the missong airbag.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 24, 2019, 02:51:02 PM
Yes please! If I put my Fiesta up for sale on Autotrader, I would love one of these for the main image. :lol:

It's a deal! :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 24, 2019, 02:55:44 PM
It's a deal! :lol:

Now I actually have some motivation to sell it :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 24, 2019, 03:44:42 PM
Now I actually have some motivation to sell it :lol:

Post a pic and let me see what I can do! ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2019, 02:34:29 PM
Yeah, first impressions definitely don't tell the whole story. Maybe look at used Volvos? If the seats matter so much, they are among the best in the bizness.

Then I have to sell the Accord private. It's a perfect trade in candidate.

I don't think I need best in the business. I just need not back destroying :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: Xer0 on September 24, 2019, 02:48:49 PM
V60/90 Volvos are really sexy things that's for sure, didn't realize they get that expensive.  Yikes.  Does the V60 also have the manual adjustable coils like the XC60 Polestar?  That's such a weird thing to put on an SUV that you almost have to respect  :lol:

When are you going to look at the Mazda?

Drove one tonight.

Very interesting car

Pros:
- way nicer than I expected. Interior, infotainment, quality, everything. Felt like a top end version of a luxury car in a tiny package
- looks much better in person
- sound system was really clear and loud for the price point.
- infotainment screen is huge, high res, and right in your line of sight. Great design
- transmission was responsive. Pretty good Auto overall. Still not as efficient or quick up shifting as the Honda AP-speed.
- engine was quicker than I anticipated. It's linear and requires some revs to get moving, but wasn't a total deal breaker.
- sears were good. My back felt better just driving around in it. Kind of amazing what a difference it was to the accord.

Cons:
- dynamics weren't as mind blowing as I hoped. Mid corner bumps upset it a little
- ride is a little hard
- it's tiny. I wasn't ready for how small it is. At 6'2", I was maybe an inch or two from the roof and that's without a sunroof. The rear seat behind me driving is really tight too. Not much of a road trip car.  Hatch space is pretty small too.

Basically it comes down to: do I want a really really nice tiny car, or do I want the ultimate utilitarian vehicle that does everything pretty well?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Detailing a RAM today. Has 50k miles on it and the CEL is on.  May advise the owner it's about time to scrap it. :mask:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 26, 2019, 07:36:52 AM
Detailing a RAM today. Has 50k miles on it and the CEL is on.  May advise the owner it's about time to scrap it. :mask:

A Ram with 50K on it has a check engine light illuminated. Tech A says to replace the electric power steering rack. Tech B says to replace the Integrated Power Distribution Module. Who is right?
A. Tech A
B. Tech B
C. Both
D. Neither

D. Neither. Replacing the truck is the correct procedure.

giant_mtb

I'd hook up my OBD scanner to check it out of curiosity, but said scanner is in Taco's glove box, which is at RAM owner's house.

12,000 RPM

How old is it? CEL isn't the end of the world.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

Tech C says there's about 300 things that can turn on the CEL.  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on September 26, 2019, 10:47:25 AM
Tech C says there's about 300 things that can turn on the CEL.  :lol:

Tech C can eat shit! :lockedup:

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 26, 2019, 10:27:28 AM
How old is it? CEL isn't the end of the world.

2015, 50k miles.

(I was being sarcastic, btw)

MX793

I am now officially a (happily) former VW victim/owner.  Traded the Shitta in for an '11 Rav4 base AWD.  Body is in really good shape.  One tiny dent (door ding sized) in the hood that I just noticed, but otherwise I can't really find an obvious mark on it.  Light colored interior has some mild dirt stains, but nothing terrible.  Buttons have all of their paint.  Drives straight, rides smooth, no shakes or vibrations, only 80K on the clock.  It's an utterly passionless driving experience, but then again, so was the VW.  The cargo space will be appreciated.  When I had my race tires for the Mustang flipped over on the rims and drove them to the shop in the VW, I could barely fit all 4 in the vehicle.  I had 2 in the trunk and 2 in the rear seat.  This should have no trouble fitting all of them in the cargo area (and I can always drop the rear seatbacks for more).  Also curious to see what the AWD brings to the table come winter time.  Never had AWD before, so this certainly can do no worse in the snow than past cars I've had even with Toyota's soft-roader AWD setup.  Though it does have a center diff lock feature.

Would have preferred a hatchback car instead of a crossover, but used car selection around here is slim and hatchbacks are really unpopular to begin with.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

^^Sounds good.  AWD makes a world of difference in the snow.  Always tempted to floor it through a goodly fall of snow just to get front and back spinning.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

I've been seeing a lot of Mexican market cars here in Columbus.

The other day I saw three Mexican cars flat towing wrecked cars.

There's a Corolla and a Sonic on campus with Mexican plates.

Then the other day I saw these two, a Chevy Beat and a Honda BR-V

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on September 27, 2019, 11:58:33 AM
I am now officially a (happily) former VW victim/owner.  Traded the Shitta in for an '11 Rav4 base AWD.  Body is in really good shape.  One tiny dent (door ding sized) in the hood that I just noticed, but otherwise I can't really find an obvious mark on it.  Light colored interior has some mild dirt stains, but nothing terrible.  Buttons have all of their paint.  Drives straight, rides smooth, no shakes or vibrations, only 80K on the clock.  It's an utterly passionless driving experience, but then again, so was the VW.  The cargo space will be appreciated.  When I had my race tires for the Mustang flipped over on the rims and drove them to the shop in the VW, I could barely fit all 4 in the vehicle.  I had 2 in the trunk and 2 in the rear seat.  This should have no trouble fitting all of them in the cargo area (and I can always drop the rear seatbacks for more).  Also curious to see what the AWD brings to the table come winter time.  Never had AWD before, so this certainly can do no worse in the snow than past cars I've had even with Toyota's soft-roader AWD setup.  Though it does have a center diff lock feature.

Would have preferred a hatchback car instead of a crossover, but used car selection around here is slim and hatchbacks are really unpopular to begin with.

Crossovers are just easier to find than a wagon or hatch.
So hit that diff lock button, disable traction control, and floor it on a nice snowy road.  :rockon:
Then realize your brakes don't actually work any better...

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on September 27, 2019, 11:58:33 AM

Praise Gaia, the suffering is over :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

cawimmer430

An American or Canadian reviewing the new Renault Zoe. He seems to like it very much.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_My_exwMW9Y&t

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

A couple of interesting tidbits...https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/enthusiasts/simca-used-ford-flathead-v-8s-until-1961-and-we-found-one/ar-AAHWKKU?ocid=spartandhp#image=1

During the first five years that Ford's small V8-60 was available in France (1935-1940), a young Zora Arkus-Duntov (1909-1996) was living in Paris. There, as the Nazi invasion loomed, he smuggled gold bullion and coins to Belgium aboard a flathead V-8powered Ford, modified with a hollow frame tube to hide the treasure. During many late night runs, Duntov dreamed of ways to improve the Ford's performance. The eventual result was the famous post World War II Ardun flathead Ford hemispherical conversion cylinder head kit. By the time German tanks rumbled into Paris on June 14, 1940, Duntov and his wife Elfi were preparing to emigrate to the United States. On December 4, 1940, the Duntovs arrived at New York City's Ellis Island aboard the Spanish steamship "Nyassa." Seven years later, in 1947, Duntov unleashed his Ardun Hemi conversion kit, which increased output from 100 to 160 hp. Unfortunately, the kit cost $500 and there were few takers. But when the 1951 Chrysler Firepower debuted in 1951, it was clear that its designers took a long look at Duntov's creation.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Coming up to 22,000 miles in the CR-V and the tires are well-worn. The tread wear bars are close to surfacing. Based on this and other new cars I've bought, it seems that OEM tires are often crap.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși