Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 29, 2019, 11:50:30 AM
Coming up to 22,000 miles in the CR-V and the tires are well-worn. The tread wear bars are close to surfacing. Based on this and other news cars I've bought it seems that OEM tires are often crap.

Yeah, I don't know anyone who has gotten particularly great mileage from OE tires.  Even non-performance tires.  I got about 32K on the Goodyears that came on my Mazda in mostly gentle highway driving, which were sort of a "performance" all-season, but not super grippy.  Current car came fitted with low tread wear hi-po tires and I auto-x with it, so short life was expected.  The lo-po, high-economy all seasons that came on my last car might have made it 30K had I not raced with them.  I want to say that had about 18K and 2 full race seasons on them and they weren't quite to the bars when I bought a new set of wheels and tires for the car since I didn't like the OE size.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Honda in particular seems to not only choose the wrong tires, but to chronically under size them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on September 29, 2019, 12:19:32 PM
Yeah, I don't know anyone who has gotten particularly great mileage from OE tires.  Even non-performance tires.  I got about 32K on the Goodyears that came on my Mazda in mostly gentle highway driving, which were sort of a "performance" all-season, but not super grippy.  Current car came fitted with low tread wear hi-po tires and I auto-x with it, so short life was expected.  The lo-po, high-economy all seasons that came on my last car might have made it 30K had I not raced with them.  I want to say that had about 18K and 2 full race seasons on them and they weren't quite to the bars when I bought a new set of wheels and tires for the car since I didn't like the OE size.
The OE Michelin tires on my wife's '09 Escape, now being used by our daughter, are still rolling along.  I know they should be changed and I insisted my daughter get new tires, but she hasn't yet.  Unknown kilometres as they are swapped for about 4 months each year with snows.  Still, remarkable durability.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 29, 2019, 12:21:26 PM
Honda in particular seems to not only choose the wrong tires, but to chronically under size them.

MPGz
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 29, 2019, 12:34:52 PM
The OE Michelin tires on my wife's '09 Escape, now being used by our daughter, are still rolling along.  I know they should be changed and I insisted my daughter get new tires, but she hasn't yet.  Unknown kilometres as they are swapped for about 4 months each year with snows.  Still, remarkable durability.

Nobody should drive on 11 year old tires.

Morris Minor

Reading customer reviews on Tire Rack, it's not unusual for factory tires to gone by 25,000 miles. A little sting in the tail that I'm guessing car reviewers don't include in their evaluations of new models:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 29, 2019, 12:34:52 PM
I've twice told my son that he should replace the shocks and bushings on his 2003 Pilot. Both times I get the nah, not worth spending the money reply. The car dances around on rough surfaces, of which there are many in California. And it's nasty in the rain. Safety be damned.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 29, 2019, 01:18:20 PM
I've twice told my son that he should replace the shocks and bushings on his 2003 Pilot. Both times I get the nah, not worth spending the money reply. The car dances around on rough surfaces, of which there are many in California. And it's nasty in the rain. Safety be damned.

I've never paid for suspension stuff on my (old) cars...  :mask:  :pullover:  :facepalm:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 29, 2019, 03:30:56 PM
I've never paid for suspension stuff on my (old) cars...  :mask:  :pullover:  :facepalm:

Some old stuff is made to last longer than some newer stuff.
Last week, I worked on a 2016 Dodge Dart with ~80K miles with clunky front suspension. It was play in the SPLIT PLASTIC RETAINING RINGS THAT HOLD THE FRONT STRUTS IN THE STRUT TOWERS.

12,000 RPM

Not to victim shame but did you rotate them regularly? Are all 4 gone or just the fronts?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 29, 2019, 12:54:36 PM
Reading customer reviews on Tire Rack, it's not unusual for factory tires to gone by 25,000 miles. A little sting in the tail that I'm guessing car reviewers don't include in their evaluations of new models:

Yeah, OEM tires are typically trash.  They don't grip or last very long.  Good gas mileage and quiet is all they really go for.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

The 17 inch OEMs on my Subaru Crosstrek lasted 70,000 miles and probably could have gone another 10 - 20 thousand miles before I switched them out. They were Yokohama Geolandars.  I didn't get them again because they were noisy and pricey but they did last a very long time. I did rotate them regularly. 
I replaced them with these new all weather type tires (Vredestein).

The 22 inch tires on my Infiniti QX56 last about 30 - 40 thousand miles regardless of type I've tried.  I think that has more to do with the size of them, weight of the car, and short side wall.  I'll soon have to get my 4th tire set.  I would like to switch them to 20 inch tires but then I gotta spend about $800 for new wheels in addition to new tires and I might get rid of the car in a year or two anyways because of high mileage and soon out of extended warranty I bought.

The OEMs on my Camry suck in terms of treadware.  I forget what they are but they have less then 30 thousand miles on them and they look like they need to be replaced soon and the dealer has also commented on that.  I only use them for 7 months of the year because I switch to snow tires in the winter.  It's a 3 year lease so I'm not going to replace them.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 29, 2019, 10:08:34 PM
Haha, FCA is such a garbage company

https://carbuzz.com/news/falsifying-sales-reports-costs-fiat-chrysler-big-time
$55M for what's prob billions of dollars worth of wire fraud is a complete joke.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

FUCKING AWESOME. And damn right.  :rockon:  :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojcu2lxZxrc
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

this is car chat not political chat...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 30, 2019, 12:15:53 PM

Watch the video I posted. It's 99% car-related. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 30, 2019, 12:15:53 PM

My video is 99% death metal related. Sorry my bad.

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 30, 2019, 12:26:27 PM
Watch the video I posted. It's 99% car-related. :lol:

It's posted by a channel that's literally called "Conservative Right" if the political subtext isn't obvious enough. :facepalm:

This is a point on which we vehemently disagree, so maybe let's just not get into it here and enjoy what we have in common?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

He's right, its political.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on September 30, 2019, 12:42:42 PM
It's posted by a channel that's literally called "Conservative Right" if the political subtext isn't obvious enough. :facepalm:

This is a point on which we vehemently disagree, so maybe let's just not get into it here and enjoy what we have in common?

I didn't check the name of the channel when I copied the link. A friend sent me the link and I thought it was funny.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Praiseworthy indeed...

Love the toggle-switches.

Laconian

It all looks so... haptically satisfying. Mmmph.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

I want to flip all of the switches.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on September 30, 2019, 04:56:10 PM
It all looks so... haptically satisfying. Mmmph.
You want to stroke it?

cawimmer430

Teenage girls today be like, "What's like that like in the like center console? Does it like come with like batteries?"  :winkguy:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

A jury in LA supposedly awarded some butthead $550,000 because the transmission went out of his Focus.
Must have been really traumatic.  :facepalm: