Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Morris Minor

C&D has a new editor. And it's a female.
Good.
First thing I notice is the clean layout - improved legibility, and page numbers where you can see them.
The previous layout was a hot mess that gave my graphic designer buddy heart attacks; he lives in the world of typography and kerns and fonts and all that stuff and was mortally offended.

:fogey: Yes I still subscribe to the paper version :fogey:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Is there still any non-sponsored content, or is it just one big WeatherTech and boner pill ad? :neverforget:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

The prior layout was awful. Tried way too hard at looking fresh, but it was just a headache to read.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on October 21, 2019, 12:27:43 PM
Is there still any non-sponsored content, or is it just one big WeatherTech and boner pill ad? :neverforget:
Mostly that still. It's got thinner and thinner, which threatens its function as on-the-pot reading material: shiterature.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Dude behind that tuning company is a psychopath

Check out his 350Z:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzhvaGnEkJo

600whp all motor... and a custom hybrid system for another 200HP. And he can drive
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 19, 2019, 06:50:06 PM
https://www.thedrive.com/news/29942/mazda-will-restore-your-na-miata-roadster-to-factory-perfection-for-40k

But why?  The ND runs circles around the NA, offers so much more, is faster, safer, better looking, only ~100 pounds heavier, and, as far as I can tell, no less engaging than the NA.  For any type of driving, the ND is the better choice.  The ND is basically a miracle in today's automotive climate.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 23, 2019, 07:48:45 AM
For Raza. Look at the transmission:ohyeah:

Mercedes Is Asking $53k For 22,000-Mile 1982 S-Class In Showroom Condition

Many people, including yours truly, view the Bruno Sacco years as the golden age of Mercedes-Benz design.

Steering the brand's styling department from 1975 to 1999, the Italian was responsible for many timeless designs that gave the brand a coherent visual identity, including the W201 190, W124 E-Class, W126 S-Class and R129 SL convertible, to name but a few.

The W126, which was built between 1979 and 1991, happens to be my favorite S-Class generation, so coming across this stunning 280 SE that's up for sale by Mercedes itself, I had to give it a closer look.

Coming from a time when model designations actually meant something, this 1982 280 SE is powered by a 2.8-liter straight-six making 185 PS (182 hp). Mated to a four-speed manual transmission (yes, you could have a stick shift in the W126 S-Class), the six-cylinder provided respectable performance for the time, with a 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 10 seconds and a top speed of 210 km/h (130 mph).

This particular example features a Silver Distel Metallic exterior paint and a Leder Siena leather interior, as well as many amenities including heated seats, air conditioning, power sunroof, self-leveling suspension, central locking system, and more.

Here comes the best part: it only covered 36,000 kilometers (22,369 miles) from new, having spent all its life on the sunny island of Madeira, Portugal. Therefore, rust is a foreign concept for this S-Class that looks as if it has just left the showroom.

The Mercedes-Benz Museum, where the car is currently located, certifies the mileage with past invoices as well as thorough inspections and servicing undertaken by its workshop. To keep it in tip-top shape, the shop carried out many additional work and repairs, including replacing the rear silencer and the motors on the front power windows, plus maintenance of the air conditioning system.

The vehicle comes with a complete on-board folder containing the service record, owner's manual, full tool kit, the original invoice from 1982, and other documents proving its history. There's only one "problem" with this 280 SE: its €47,890 asking price, which equates to $52,700 at current exchange rates.

The price includes a final technical check with a new main inspection and exhaust emissions test, as well as a 12-month warranty. Look at it this way: given the low mileage and reliability record of the W126 S-Class, this is a car your children, and probably even grandchildren, will get to enjoy as well.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/mercedes-wants-53k-for-22000-mile-1982-s-class-in-showroom-condition/

:wub:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 22, 2019, 09:54:34 PM
But why?  The ND runs circles around the NA, offers so much more, is faster, safer, better looking, only ~100 pounds heavier, and, as far as I can tell, no less engaging than the NA.  For any type of driving, the ND is the better choice.  The ND is basically a miracle in today's automotive climate.
Many of the same arguments apply to the automatic transmissions and EVs you hate :hmm:

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 23, 2019, 07:10:50 AM
Many of the same arguments apply to the automatic transmissions and EVs you hate :hmm:

None of those arguments apply.  I mean, you can apply them, but they're losing arguments.  Automatics and EVs affect the weight, driving experience, and engagement.  And safety with EVs is in question as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmbHpqWjMVE

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

For sale at MB Munich. Demonstrator A35 AMG 4Matic. SO HOT. SO HOT.  :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

People like to restore cars.  NAs are pushing 30 years old. Except for low-mileage, rare specimens, it's about time for a big overhaul if one wants to keep it original and keep it nice for another 30 years.  I see nothing wrong with getting it restored, especially by the manufacturer itself...it's awesome. :huh:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 23, 2019, 08:33:24 AM
None of those arguments apply.  I mean, you can apply them, but they're losing arguments.  Automatics and EVs affect the weight, driving experience, and engagement.  And safety with EVs is in question as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmbHpqWjMVE
So when we compare the ND to the NA, safety + performance count, and added weight is to be disregarded.

But when we compare autos/EVs to manual ICEs, safety + performance don't count, and weight does.

I'm going to have to think on that one.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 23, 2019, 09:19:03 AM
People like to restore cars.  NAs are pushing 30 years old. Except for low-mileage, rare specimens, it's about time for a big overhaul if one wants to keep it original and keep it nice for another 30 years.  I see nothing wrong with getting it restored, especially by the manufacturer itself...it's awesome. :huh:
I don't quite understand it, but it's other people's money & cars. I can see restoring an old 911 or an old high end Japanese performance car... but w/e. Mazda is on a weird kick lately so I'm not surprised.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 23, 2019, 08:20:24 PM
So when we compare the ND to the NA, safety + performance count, and added weight is to be disregarded.

But when we compare autos/EVs to manual ICEs, safety + performance don't count, and weight does.

I'm going to have to think on that one.

100 pounds is negligible.  Do you think you can feel 100 pounds on a car?  By comparison, a Tesla Roadster is 800 pounds heavier than the Lotus Elise on which it's based.  Don't be silly.  Or are you the princess from the Princess and the Pea?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 23, 2019, 09:19:03 AM

No, nothing wrong with it at all.  I just personally don't see the point when you can spend less and get the ND and get a car that's just as engaging to drive. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 23, 2019, 09:17:47 AM
For sale at MB Munich. Demonstrator A35 AMG 4Matic. SO HOT. SO HOT.  :wub:

Time to trade yours in?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 23, 2019, 08:21:47 PM
I don't quite understand it, but it's other people's money & cars. I can see restoring an old 911 or an old high end Japanese performance car... but w/e. Mazda is on a weird kick lately so I'm not surprised.

I definitely get it in general.  Something like an old 911 especially, since the current cars are so different from the classic ones.  But the MX-5 specifically, where the current model so perfectly embodies the spirit and experience of the original while improving on it, I just don't see the point--especially when the new one can be had for significantly less money.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

I'm nostalgic about my NA, but not $40k nostalgic. I miss the popup headlight wave.

Laconian

12,000 RPM

$40K makes for a monster build. I'd prob get an NA and put an S2000 motor in it. And pocket the other $25K

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on October 23, 2019, 09:04:31 PM
Time to trade yours in?

Nah, I am so happy with mine. The power is amazing. An A35 AMG 4Matic would be fun for a day or a week, but the increased costs are not worth it to me. I'm having so much fun with mine, despite "only" 224-horsepower and FWD. ;)
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

I rode in my friend's I-Pace. Damn that is a very nice and futuristic car. The interior is amazing. Way better than Teslas.

Fast as hell, too!!

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 19, 2019, 11:38:35 AM
https://www.motorious.com/vehicles/178807/1963-volvo-l3314-laplander-camper

The actual ad.

And yeah. I want it. Badly.

I thought you don't want a camper but your wife wants one.. i guess this is the perfect compromise. 

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 24, 2019, 05:49:54 AM
$40K makes for a monster build. I'd prob get an NA and put an S2000 motor in it. And pocket the other $25K

I'd just get an AP2 S2000 and call it a day.  Although, $40K gets you close to a 964 Cabriolet. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on October 24, 2019, 10:27:29 AM
I rode in my friend's I-Pace. Damn that is a very nice and futuristic car. The interior is amazing. Way better than Teslas.

Fast as hell, too!!

I like the way it looks inside and out.

I think The model 3 would be less irritating if they just listened to real designers. I hate the interior and the door handles of the model 3.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 24, 2019, 11:23:19 AM
I'd just get an AP2 S2000 and call it a day.
:nono: This makes too much sense for me.

Quote from: 2o6 on October 24, 2019, 11:27:06 AM

I like the way it looks inside and out.

I think The model 3 would be less irritating if they just listened to real designers. I hate the interior and the door handles of the model 3.
There was a recent crash/fire where first responders couldn't get someone out due to the door handles. Great stuff

Laconian

The external door handle design? They're nuts! Push a bit, then switch to pulling... WTF

afty

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 24, 2019, 11:54:34 AM
:nono: This makes too much sense for me.
There was a recent crash/fire where first responders couldn't get someone out due to the door handles. Great stuff
That was a Model S.  The S has motorized door handles that pop out as you approach the car.  You can see how that could be a problem for first responders.

The 3 has flush but mechanical door handles.  They shouldn't be a problem in an accident.