Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 26, 2019, 02:51:24 PM
Problem is that it does mess up  the  interior  because  where  the  manual  transmission  is  that's  where  the  touchpad  is  located on  the  A/T  models. That position is ideal for the touchpad from an ergonomic POV. As  a  result of the M/T being there, the touchpad has  been  pushed  back  to  a  rather  unergonomic  position.

Here's how it looks on the A/T models. Perfect place in terms of ergonomics.

Your logic falls apart when one points out that there is no such thing as an ergonomic touchpad in a car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 27, 2019, 06:54:34 AM
Ford hasn't offered an MT in the F150 in at least 15 years.

A couple years ago at least, the only manuals in pickups came from Dodge (no, I will not call them Rams), and even there, you needed to get a 3/4 ton diesel to get one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on November 27, 2019, 06:56:39 AM
Your logic falls apart when one points out that there is no such thing as an ergonomic touchpad in a car.

I'm talking about the seating position and the position of your right arm in regards to the position of the touchpad. It's located in the perfect spot for you to operate it with your fingers.

In the M/T version, it's pushed back like half a foot to a really terrible and illogical position.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

MX is right; a touchpad has no place in a car, even if it's ergonomically optimized.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 27, 2019, 09:58:43 AM
MX is right; a touchpad has no place in a car, even if it's ergonomically optimized.

I only use it when the car is idle or I am driving at low speeds.

At higher speeds I use the touchpad controls on the steering wheel, the touchscreen or simply voice commands. I have four choices of how to operate things here. :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 27, 2019, 10:04:17 AM
I only use it when the car is idle or I am driving at low speeds.

At higher speeds I use the touchpad controls on the steering wheel, the touchscreen or simply voice commands. I have four choices of how to operate things here. :lol:
Why have they made driving so complicated? :banghead:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 27, 2019, 11:11:43 AM
Why have they made driving so complicated? :banghead:

I don't consider the interaction with the touchscreen/touchpad to be "part of driving". Driving the car is just like every other car, and once you get used to the simple and logical layout of the digital display, you can go through it blindly - either by touch or by the steering wheel and center console touchpads. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 27, 2019, 12:11:27 PM
I don't consider the interaction with the touchscreen/touchpad to be "part of driving". Driving the car is just like every other car, and once you get used to the simple and logical layout of the digital display, you can go through it blindly - either by touch or by the steering wheel and center console touchpads. ;)
The most convenient features of newer vehicles, imo, is the GPS and the little indicator on the rear view mirrors that tell you if someone is in your blind spot.  All the other stuff is just unnecessary. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 27, 2019, 12:41:37 PM
The most convenient features of newer vehicles, imo, is the GPS and the little indicator on the rear view mirrors that tell you if someone is in your blind spot.  All the other stuff is just unnecessary. 

I used to feel that way and I still do for the most part. However, I also cherish things like the 360-degree parking camera and of course the vocal interaction and command/request function of MBUX. It's quite handy when you need it. I mainly use the voice command feature for navigation letting the system know where I want to go, and for weather reports on the way to a shoot.

For everything else like switching between radio and my MP3s, changing the station/song, asking what my fuel economy is or how much fuel remains in the tank etc. I do it manually by pressing the right buttons.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 27, 2019, 12:41:37 PM

I hate those blindspot monitor lights.  Very distracting, especially at night.  If you adjust your mirrors properly, it's possible to not have a blind spot.  At least in most vehicles I've driven.

Rear view camera is probably the most useful piece of tech I've found in new cars.  Especially as vehicles and belt lines have gotten taller.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

This car was like 10 years to late, and much to expensive. Still a nice engineering exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E4Cqx4S7K4

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on November 28, 2019, 08:18:48 AM
I hate those blindspot monitor lights.  Very distracting, especially at night.  If you adjust your mirrors properly, it's possible to not have a blind spot.  At least in most vehicles I've driven.

Rear view camera is probably the most useful piece of tech I've found in new cars.  Especially as vehicles and belt lines have gotten taller.
As for blind spots, I always used to glance at the mirror and then over my shoulder.  I do think the blind spot monitors are handy, but am concerned they might suddenly stop working.  Another feature that I like is the warning beeps when reversing, especially when parked beside SUVs where the back of them block all vision to the sides.  As for the rear view camera, I don't find it very useful as the perspective is rather hampered.

Soup DeVille

I'm so conditioned to use the mirrors that I almost never look at the rear view camera monitor; until I can't see well enough with the mirrors.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

How are convex mirrors are not standard equipment on everything? Cameras are dumb, except backup cameras because nothing has rear visibility anymore.

I cover my stupid flat mirrors with huge convex mirrors. I even have a convex center mirror. Not just blind spot elimination, but huge overlapping coverage.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 28, 2019, 08:55:21 AM
How are convex mirrors are not standard equipment on everything? Cameras are dumb, except backup cameras because nothing has rear visibility anymore.

I cover my stupid flat mirrors with huge convex mirrors. I even have a convex center mirror. Not just blind spot elimination, but huge overlapping coverage.

But they cause distortion and you lose a sense of scale and distance.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Galaxy on November 28, 2019, 08:58:11 AM
But they cause distortion and you lose a sense of scale and distance.

That is true, but it's a reason that only applies to people that shouldn't be driving in the first place.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2019, 11:49:47 AM
Uhhhhhh.  Yeah, fuck brake-by-wire. Some things should be left mechanical.

They're completely brake by wire?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 28, 2019, 12:05:08 PM
They're completely brake by wire?

I do not know, but if the brake pedal is modulating the throttle instead of the brakes...there's likely a total disconnect between the pedal and the actual braking system, no?

CaminoRacer

From the comments:

OP: "We called this one the all go, no woah Ford. It was working as intended until detail got ahold of it. Still not sure why this was able to happen or how it happened."

"Is it fly by wire? If yes, is the brake pedal pinching the wires that go to the accelerator petal? More importantly, can you tie in the horn to the brake pedal? :)"

OP: "That's what I thought too, but when we looked under the wires were completely separate and nowhere near each other. We cleared the engine codes and it stopped, so my guess is the goo detail used on the floor got into a sensor or something and did a number to it? We honestly have no idea haha"
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2019, 01:45:54 PM
I do not know, but if the brake pedal is modulating the throttle instead of the brakes...there's likely a total disconnect between the pedal and the actual braking system, no?

My guess is that either something in the control module is shorted or there's some kind of electro-magnetic interference or cross-talk happening on that vehicle if the brake pedal is revving the engine.

IIRC, there has to be a mechanical backup/failsafe to safety critical systems like steering and brakes, which prevents true x-by-wire functionality, even if that is the primary mode of operation.  Also, brake pedal application information is sent to the engine ECU, so even if it was a "traditional" mechanical system, this could still happen if there was some kind of short or cross-talk between the brake circuits and the DBW throttle circuits.
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

You are a wealth of knowledge, my friend. A true engineer.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on November 28, 2019, 02:34:42 PM
My guess is that either something in the control module is shorted or there's some kind of electro-magnetic interference or cross-talk happening on that vehicle if the brake pedal is revving the engine.

IIRC, there has to be a mechanical backup/failsafe to safety critical systems like steering and brakes, which prevents true x-by-wire functionality, even if that is the primary mode of operation.  Also, brake pedal application information is sent to the engine ECU, so even if it was a "traditional" mechanical system, this could still happen if there was some kind of short or cross-talk between the brake circuits and the DBW throttle circuits.

The guy said it was fine until the detailer got his hands on the truck, so the goo he put on everything must have gotten into a sensor or connection.

MX793

Did the detailer hose out the engine bay?
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2019, 01:45:54 PM

From what I can tell there's a failsafe gate that opens when 12v power is lost, and connects the brakes to the pedal directly, otherwise the brakes operate off of a pressure sensor on the pedal side of an isolated system.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 28, 2019, 03:58:30 PM
From what I can tell there's a failsafe gate that opens when 12v power is lost, and connects the brakes to the pedal directly, otherwise the brakes operate off of a pressure sensor on the pedal side of an isolated system.

I don't get how that's better than a normal brake booster system.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 28, 2019, 03:58:30 PM

Looks like the safe failed.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 28, 2019, 04:08:48 PM
I don't get how that's better than a normal brake booster system.

If its a hybrid or electric vehicle that is capable of regenerative braking, the system can balance between electric and hydraulic braking automatically. It can also reduce pressure during ABS activation and apply it during traction control independent of driver input.