Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

cawimmer430

Had a shoot with two new Range Rovers today and an "old" Mercedes G500 Limited Edition, and got to move them around. One of the Range Rovers was a Plug-In Hybrid, the other a V6 Turbodiesel.

The turbodiesel was quiet, refined, responsive and didn't smell. Engine was left idling during the whole shoot, three hours. Would be my choice of motor if I was in the market for a Range Rover, beautiful cars. This one was a white Autobiography (top level trim) with huge sporty wheels and black-cream brown leather interior. Fully-loaded. Rear TV screens etc. GORGEOUS. Such a gorgeous and well-made interior. I can see why these are such appealing cars.

But the really cool Range Rover was the Plug-In Hybrid. The battery wasn't fully charged so range on batteries was 10 km (fully charged it can do 51 km). The ICE powering it is a 2.0 4-cylinder, which was so buttery smooth. Man, these new 4-cylinder motors feel like inline-6s in terms of smoothness and refinement. Anyway, I kinda enjoyed driving this thing in electric mode. Quiet and instant torque.

If they finally get EVs to A) have acceptable range and B) quick charging times (5-10 minutes) then I am sold.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

68_427

My 2018 Elantra rental got great mpg.  I averaged 40 combined for a week.  :huh:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Future pick-ups from Ford?  Ford Will Build A Pickup Smaller Than The Ranger

Ford says an electric F-150 is not the only pickup trick it has up its sleeve: in the next few years, the automaker will roll out a compact truck sized and priced below the new Ranger.

The news comes from Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets, who spoke recently at the Deutsche Bank Global Auto Industry Conference in Detroit.

Automotive News reports that while Ford declined to get more specific, the company said it would "have more details to share about new nameplates in the future."

Auto News said that, in summer 2018, unnamed sources indicated Ford would add a compact truck to its lineup by 2022, and that it would be a unibody vehicle based on the next-generation Focus compact car platform. We know the Focus is as good as dead in North America, but a small pickup fits well with Ford's new all-trucks-all-the-time approach to the market on this continent.
>>>
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

I'll be shocked if they sell it in the States.

shp4man

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 23, 2019, 09:44:50 AM
I'll be shocked if they sell it in the States.
There was a time when small pick-ups were pretty popular; mostly imports as the 'big 3' didn't make any.  I bought a '73 Courier new in '73, rebadged Mazda 1800, as a handy vehicle for trips to the lumber yard, plant nurseries, etc. to conform to the suburban lifestyle.  Came in handy.  Don't know if that's a thing anymore, but I doubt people want to get their SUVs/CUVs/crossovers all dirty inside hauling plants, fertilizer, wood, etc.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 23, 2019, 10:16:41 AM
There was a time when small pick-ups were pretty popular; mostly imports as the 'big 3' didn't make any.  I bought a '73 Courier new in '73, rebadged Mazda 1800, as a handy vehicle for trips to the lumber yard, plant nurseries, etc. to conform to the suburban lifestyle.  Came in handy.  Don't know if that's a thing anymore, but I doubt people want to get their SUVs/CUVs/crossovers all dirty inside hauling plants, fertilizer, wood, etc.

I dunno - I think more people would want a covered cargo area and flexibility of having normal sized back seats that can fold down when extra cargo space is needed. A truck smaller than a Ranger would either have a tiny back seat or a tiny bed. It's not that hard to vacuum out a cargo area - all that stuff is why a lot of people bought SUVs in the first place in the 90s (at least that's the case for my family).

I see this as more of a work truck for areas of the world where mid/full sized trucks are too expensive/inefficient.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 23, 2019, 10:26:49 AM
I dunno - I think more people would want a covered cargo area and flexibility of having normal sized back seats that can fold down when extra cargo space is needed. A truck smaller than a Ranger would either have a tiny back seat or a tiny bed. It's not that hard to vacuum out a cargo area - all that stuff is why a lot of people bought SUVs in the first place in the 90s (at least that's the case for my family).

I see this as more of a work truck for areas of the world where mid/full sized trucks are too expensive/inefficient.
That's exactly how it went as far as SUVs, even vans, replacing small pickups.  I had an Areostar when we were renovating our house in the 90s.  Of course, vans/SUVs were more utilitarian and 2nd vehicles back then.  These days, there're upscale and main/only vehicles.

12,000 RPM

They should call it the Ford Advance Auto Parts :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Lincoln finally has a sales success, but it's rather limited...Lincoln Continental with suicide doors sold out, but Lincoln will make more

The Lincoln Continental Coach Door Edition was announced just late last year, but now we have news that it's coming back for a second run of cars. All 80 initially planned have been allocated at this point. Lincoln wouldn't give an exact final price, but says it's somewhere north of $110,000. A fully-loaded Black Label car goes for a bit over $70,000, so it appears to be about a $40,000 premium for the Coach Door Edition.

>>>

giant_mtb

I'd rock the shit outta one of those if I could afford it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 23, 2019, 12:05:34 PM
Lincoln finally has a sales success, but it's rather limited...Lincoln Continental with suicide doors sold out, but Lincoln will make more

The Lincoln Continental Coach Door Edition was announced just late last year, but now we have news that it's coming back for a second run of cars. All 80 initially planned have been allocated at this point. Lincoln wouldn't give an exact final price, but says it's somewhere north of $110,000. A fully-loaded Black Label car goes for a bit over $70,000, so it appears to be about a $40,000 premium for the Coach Door Edition.

>>>

NORTH OF 110K!!!!!!!! No Way Jose'!!! I'd rather have an actual '64 for that type of money!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

I'm not usually a fan of kids, but this one may be an exception...https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a25997313/kid-car-companies-decal/

This Kid Asked Each Car Company to Send Him A Decal. They Sent a Lot More Than That.

Patch Hurty was five when he found the Ford badge on the side of the road near his house in Connecticut. He loves cars, so he was pumped about this find—car names were some of the first words he was learning to read, and now he had a badge of his own from a real car.

What would be really cool, though, is if he had some kind of logo or decal from every company. But you can't just hang around waiting for a Bugatti badge to shake loose from a passing Chiron. So what do you do? You write a letter to every car company and see what happens.

>>>>>

Gotta-Qik-C7

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 23, 2019, 03:51:51 PM
NORTH OF 110K!!!!!!!! No Way Jose'!!! I'd rather have an actual '64 for that type of money!

You could get a '64 with a Coyote swap, bags, modern brakes, and nicely done interior for that much dough.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 24, 2019, 10:03:51 AM
You could get a '64 with a Coyote swap, bags, modern brakes, and nicely done interior for that much dough.
EXACTLY!!!!! No way in HELL I'd give Ford that much money for a bland Continental with a ($350-$500) Suicide door kit......

FoMoJo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 24, 2019, 10:10:06 AM
EXACTLY!!!!! No way in HELL I'd give Ford that much money for a bland Continental with a ($350-$500) Suicide door kit......
Well, if you want a real nice one, this one...

...sold at Barrett-Jackson a few years ago for $71,500.  Look after it and in a few years, it'll be worth more.

cawimmer430

Three snapshots of one of my first shoot this year with Ovi Cars Munich. The white Range Rover was a 3.0 SDV6 (Turbodiesel) Autobiography - gorgeous interior. The leather, the materials... QUALITY. Those seats are comfortable and supportive.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 24, 2019, 10:25:38 AM
Well, if you want a real nice one, this one...

...sold at Barrett-Jackson a few years ago for $71,500.  Look after it and in a few years, it'll be worth more.

MUCH BETTER!

AutobahnSHO

LOLS wife for some reason is looking on FB local sell page and is outloud talking about cars.

I'd like to replace Impreza because the seat position has always bothered me and inflames back pain. It's only got 90k miles on it, replaced engine in 2016. Has some body scuffs and right now needs rear passenger window switch replaced, and remaining glue from home-done tint removal resolved. (she hastily ripped it off for NY safety inspection).

BUT Odyssey is getting old so I'd also love to replace with lower mileage & get sunroof and dual climate.

Found some Rav4s & CR-Vs under $7k to replace Impreza, or a 2012 Fiat 500 convertible w/ stickshift and "only 112k" miles, for under $4k LOL. Found a few convertible VWs but either too old or auto. Would love Miata but just can't do it while we live here with no garage and limited parking and found out the Unit I'm in is moving to GA next year....

But this is all pipe dreams, have to get moving money all squared away & tax return filed (shouldn't owe any).
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Oh no, not a Fiat 500. I mean, maybe if it was a turbo.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 24, 2019, 09:10:00 PM
Oh no, not a Fiat 500. I mean, maybe if it was a turbo.

the only con is Fiat. And I guess not as great handling, but most convertibles besides Miata/BMW will be poor.

it has tall(er) seating, convertible, manual.
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 24, 2019, 08:57:12 PM
LOLS wife for some reason is looking on FB local sell page and is outloud talking about cars.

I'd like to replace Impreza because the seat position has always bothered me and inflames back pain. It's only got 90k miles on it, replaced engine in 2016. Has some body scuffs and right now needs rear passenger window switch replaced, and remaining glue from home-done tint removal resolved. (she hastily ripped it off for NY safety inspection).

BUT Odyssey is getting old so I'd also love to replace with lower mileage & get sunroof and dual climate.

Found some Rav4s & CR-Vs under $7k to replace Impreza, or a 2012 Fiat 500 convertible w/ stickshift and "only 112k" miles, for under $4k LOL. Found a few convertible VWs but either too old or auto. Would love Miata but just can't do it while we live here with no garage and limited parking and found out the Unit I'm in is moving to GA next year....

But this is all pipe dreams, have to get moving money all squared away & tax return filed (shouldn't owe any).

Miata is small. Sounds like the perfect car for a limited parking situation.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 24, 2019, 10:57:33 PM
Miata is small. Sounds like the perfect car for a limited parking situation.

Still want want want want one. But 3 parking spaces is not good right now, plus we move in a year and a half- ever try driving 3 cars with only 2 drivers??

Plus I have a 14yr old, so I'd like any purchases right now to be possible first drivers. Miata is a poor choice, around here people don't watch and he'd get crushed in a Miata.

As soon as I have a driveway of my own, and we're settled down for a few years, Miata is top of my list.
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 25, 2019, 07:23:54 AM
Still want want want want one. But 3 parking spaces is not good right now, plus we move in a year and a half- ever try driving 3 cars with only 2 drivers??

Plus I have a 14yr old, so I'd like any purchases right now to be possible first drivers. Miata is a poor choice, around here people don't watch and he'd get crushed in a Miata.

As soon as I have a driveway of my own, and we're settled down for a few years, Miata is top of my list.

Who said anything about 3 cars? Sell Impreza. Buy Miata.

Miatas are great first cars. Fun, good balance so kiddo can learn how to actually drive, but slow enough to keep out of real trouble.

People don't run over Miatas. That's a made up concern.

Eye of the Tiger

Run out of parking? Rent or buy a shipping container!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 24, 2019, 09:27:12 PM
the only con is Fiat. And I guess not as great handling, but most convertibles besides Miata/BMW will be poor.

it has tall(er) seating, convertible, manual.

I'd be looking at a Mini vert before a Fiat.  Probably a tough find as cheap as that Fiat, but there's a reason by those older 500s are cheap:  they're junk.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5