Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2019, 04:09:46 PM
Looks like the safe failed.

Or it was likely never triggered. The system probably got the inputs shorted together, but never recognized anything was wrong. It may even be an issue in programming.

Its just lucky this happened in a safe place; imagine what could have happened if this was triggered instead of by whatever the detailer sprayed that (we assume) shorted the connections, but by say- somebody's wet boots or spilled latte doing the same thing while approaching an intersection...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

A failing brake booster can cause this. Vacuum leaks cause high idle, possible CEL light. Watching fuel trims while pushing the brake pedal would confirm it.

cawimmer430

So by 2021 all cars sold in the piece of shit EUSSR dictatorship are required to have a real-world fuel economy monitoring system onboard that will transmit to some EU bureau the daily traveled mileage and fuel economy as well as CO2 emissions of your car. This will also apply to EVs, Fuel Cell and Hybrids/Plug-In Hybrids in terms of how much electricity/hydrogen they consume.

The article mentions the rough details of this plan, but no concrete facts yet. What is clear, however, is that the retarded asshole dipshits in Brussels want to penalize people financially for driving too much and using too much fuel and thus emitting too much CO2. This insanity is also intended to force people into smaller, more efficient cars - and in my opinion eventually force them to get rid of their car because of artificially inflated insane running costs.  :rage:

This is so stupid on so many levels. My biggest issue with this is that it's another form of the government spying on you and invading your privacy. Where I drive, when I drive and how my fuel my car consumes is my fucking business. Fuel and car ownership costs are already expensive enough here. #FuckTheEU.

Link (German): https://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/kraftstoffverbrauch-eu-muss-ab-2021-realen-spritverbrauch-von-autos-ueberwachen-a-1298476.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 01, 2019, 06:45:18 PM
So by 2021 all cars sold in the piece of shit EUSSR dictatorship are required to have a real-world fuel economy monitoring system onboard that will transmit to some EU bureau the daily traveled mileage and fuel economy as well as CO2 emissions of your car. This will also apply to EVs, Fuel Cell and Hybrids/Plug-In Hybrids in terms of how much electricity/hydrogen they consume.

The article mentions the rough details of this plan, but no concrete facts yet. What is clear, however, is that the retarded asshole dipshits in Brussels want to penalize people financially for driving too much and using too much fuel and thus emitting too much CO2. This insanity is also intended to force people into smaller, more efficient cars - and in my opinion eventually force them to get rid of their car because of artificially inflated insane running costs.  :rage:

This is so stupid on so many levels. My biggest issue with this is that it's another form of the government spying on you and invading your privacy. Where I drive, when I drive and how my fuel my car consumes is my fucking business. Fuel and car ownership costs are already expensive enough here. #FuckTheEU.

Link (German): https://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/kraftstoffverbrauch-eu-muss-ab-2021-realen-spritverbrauch-von-autos-ueberwachen-a-1298476.html

That's a good enough reason to never buy a new car
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

by 2021? not gonna happen lol
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 01, 2019, 09:06:22 PM

Why not?

Name one technological problem with that plan.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Gonna wait for Galaxy's assessment as Wimmer has a storied history of getting shit like this completely wrong

I'm guessing it's a proposal that's up for vote with various caveats. This also seems strange in the context of the same EU that implemented GDPR
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Not a good idea :facepalm:...Mercedes' Emotion Start Makes Your Car Louder On Start Up

Mercedes-Benz, however, has done quite the opposite in its AMG models. Called the Emotion Start, all-new Mercedes-AMG models have the option to make its exhaust sound louder upon pushing the ignition button.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 01, 2019, 09:06:22 PM

Let's hope so. The fantasies of these EU bureaucrats is scary.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 02, 2019, 05:07:14 AM
Gonna wait for Galaxy's assessment as Wimmer has a storied history of getting shit like this completely wrong

I'm guessing it's a proposal that's up for vote with various caveats. This also seems strange in the context of the same EU that implemented GDPR

He will read the article and come to the same conclusion.

And yes, this goes against GDPR. But the state, or in this case the EU, is obviously exempt from this. This is a police state in the making. By the way, the German Green Party was responsible for forcing GDPR on the EU.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 02, 2019, 08:51:05 AM
Not a good idea :facepalm:...Mercedes' Emotion Start Makes Your Car Louder On Start Up

Mercedes-Benz, however, has done quite the opposite in its AMG models. Called the Emotion Start, all-new Mercedes-AMG models have the option to make its exhaust sound louder upon pushing the ignition button.

That's just regular goofiness that we all knew was coming once the era of "enhanced" exhaust notes started several years ago.

Next year, it will be a user selectable feature. "angry start," "shy start," etc.

I'm personally waiting for the "resurrected demon restarting a 1959 Plymouth in revenge mode" start.

Galaxy

The only thing that will change for 2020, and 2021 is that starting in 2020 all new car models that get certified will be required to have equipment that monitors fuel consumption, and display it to the driver, and by 2021 this will be required for all cars registered for the first time. The data does get get transmitted to the car company, which most are doing anyways. This is a non issue since 99% of cars already have this technology anyways. It really only effects something like a base model Suzuki or Dacia. The car companies have to report fleet averages to the EU.

There is the idea floated that this data should be transmitted (for electric cars it already is anyways) to catch discrepancies between lab testing and the real world. This is not an EU initiative however this is being done by the WLTP work group. Granted, the WLTP work group is mostly EU, Japan, India, and South Korea. It anything this be a late 2020s thing. Currently they can not decide how they want to collect data. Some have suggested that the cars themselves transmit the data directly to the regulators, some have suggested that the car manufacturers collect and transmit the data. Another suggestion is the data gets downloaded during emission and safety inspections (which in the EU would be either every 2,3, or 4 years), finally another suggestion is to only monitor fleets. Regarding the idea of taxing CO2 use why not just increase the price of fuel?

Personally I do not like the idea of data being transmitted, however I am somewhat self-contradictory since I am a big fan of car to X technology. I also, like 90% of people, use a smartphone so that makes any concern about fuel consumption being monitored somewhat insignificant in comparison anyways.

12,000 RPM

So then it's not clear that "the retarded asshole dipshits in Brussels want to penalize people financially for driving too much and using too much fuel and thus emitting too much CO2."

Why would you lie Wimmer?

Galaxy

I would not say lie, there is definitely the potential for shenanigans to be done with this tech. I do understand why the WLTP group and the EU would rather get the data themselves. They do not trust the car companies, and probably for good reasons. Also, his A class is already transmitting fuel consumption to Mercedes, and they will combine that with the data of others to report fuel consumption to the WLTP. Plus the A class also has Car to X, where the car is permanently reporting positions, speed, data from ABS, and ESP sensors live, which has much greater misuse potential. . 

Soup DeVille

Anybody who thinks this doesn't end in another way to tax and monitor people hasn't paid attention to, well, anything ever.

12,000 RPM

Ah the trusty old slippery slope.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 02, 2019, 04:50:58 PM
Ah the trusty old slippery slope.

Name one reason why the government would want to do this that doesn't involve taxing and monitoring.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 02, 2019, 05:06:16 PM
Name one reason why the government would want to do this that doesn't involve taxing and monitoring.

+1

Fuck that shit.

FoMoJo

Big brother has truly arrived.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

afty

I didn't even click through to the articles, but it at least seems plausible this is being done because car companies have a history of cheating on fuel economy and emissions tests, and the government wants some way of checking the results in the real world and catching cheaters?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: afty on December 02, 2019, 05:30:03 PM
I didn't even click through to the articles, but it at least seems plausible this is being done because car companies have a history of cheating on fuel economy and emissions tests, and the government wants some way of checking the results in the real world and catching cheaters?

Germans never cheat!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Got a VIN and should get delivered any day now  :muffin: :dance:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: afty on December 02, 2019, 05:30:03 PM

Not sure how data coming from the ECU would reveal emissions cheating.  The cases of emissions cheating uncovered to date all involved someone hooking up a sniffer to the tailpipe and actually sampling exhaust emissions.  The car's SW was not reporting anything amiss.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on December 02, 2019, 08:56:19 PM
Not sure how data coming from the ECU would reveal emissions cheating.  The cases of emissions cheating uncovered to date all involved someone hooking up a sniffer to the tailpipe and actually sampling exhaust emissions.  The car's SW was not reporting anything amiss.

It has to do with CO2 emission, especially with regards to the manufacturers paying for not meeting fleet averages. There is fear they might fudge the numbers.

MrH

Delivery is showing planned for 10:00 AM tomorrow  :dance:

I'm guessing I'll pick it up tomorrow evening or Thursday evening.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 02, 2019, 04:26:26 PM
Anybody who thinks this doesn't end in another way to tax and monitor people hasn't paid attention to, well, anything ever.

THIS.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

These e-Scooters are annoying in city traffic because many users don't know the rules. I do feel sorry for truckers, this helps for sure.

Mercedes' Sideguard Assist Makes The Streets Safer For E-Scooter Riders

E-scooters are becoming a common sight on city streets all over the world, bringing with them many safety challenges.

In Germany, for example, stand-up electric scooters were, earlier this year, allowed to use both bicycle paths and public roads, posing new challenges for traffic safety and the well being of their riders. The nimble and speedy gadgets are a headache, particularly for truck drivers, who find them difficult to spot.

This happens especially when e-scooters ride in parallel to the nearside of trucks and the latter have to turn in that direction. Mercedes-Benz believes this potentially deadly situation can be averted thanks to the Sideguard Assist system available in the latest Arocs and Actros trucks.

Initially developed for cyclists, pedestrians and road signs, the system has been found to work for e-scooters too. Sideguard Assist has the ability to detect moving or stationary objects in the monitoring zone along the nearside of the truck. In such a case, the system will initially inform the driver of their presence using visual means.

The MirrorCam display on the passenger's side will show a yellow triangular warning symbol to alert the driver. If the risk of collision is imminent, the display will flash red repeatedly and, after two seconds, light up red permanently. Simultaneously, a warning tone will sound on the passenger's side.

According to Mercedes-Benz, Sideguard Assist is the only assistance system of this kind available on the truck market to be fully integrated into the vehicle architecture. The tech is available ex factory for numerous model variants of the Actros and Arocs trucks and works for both rigid vehicles and entire vehicle combinations up to 18.75 meters (61.5 feet) in length.

An analysis of accidents between trucks and cyclists carried out by accident researchers from a German insurers' institute reveals that the widespread use of Sideguard Assist could prevent around half of all accidents involving trucks and cyclists. In the best case scenario, the number of related fatalities would be reduced by nearly a third, and the number of serious injuries by more than 40 percent.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZorHECTqMWk

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/mercedes-sideguard-assist-makes-the-streets-safer-for-e-scooter-riders/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

Took dealer of the Outback. Was in and out of the dealer in 18 minutes.

I'll make a post with pictures when it's light out.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on December 02, 2019, 09:33:27 PM
It has to do with CO2 emission, especially with regards to the manufacturers paying for not meeting fleet averages. There is fear they might fudge the numbers.

Seems it would be far less intrusive to simply send an EU representative to witness all emissions testing to ensure everything is above board than to fit everyone's car with a squawk box.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on December 04, 2019, 06:57:40 PM
Took dealer of the Outback. Was in and out of the dealer in 18 minutes.

I'll make a post with pictures when it's light out.

How's your back?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT