Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

AutobahnSHO

Check on the insurance rate on any turbo Subie- the WRX/ STI are some of the most crashed so maybe most expensive. (Would be manageable for married folks, single might have stupid bill)

But they would be fun! and able to do fun duties as well as commute duties.

Still wish they would put the turbowz and manual into the Crosstrek. I've always preferred hatches over wasted space over the trunk...
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 17, 2020, 07:09:09 PM
Or you can buy a 1998 Corolla and put more money into el El Camino.
I can couch for the Rolla! LOL!!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

There is a Slingshot parked at work often. There's a cover over it. That seems much more bother than throwing the top up like I do. I've also seen one recently with a hard sun cover over the front passenger area. So what's the point then??....

The stupid 4 exhaust tips coming off a single pipe bug me. The entire vehicle bugs me. So I looked up some specs:

Miata
154.1in long
68.3in wide
48.8in tall
90.9in wheelbase
2341lbs curb weight
4.6cu.ft. cargo
Starts at $26,580
29MPG combined

Slingshot
149.6in long
77.2in wide
51.9in tall
105in wheelbase
1680lbs curb weight
HAH cargo?...
Starts at $20,999 (GM Ecotec) or $26,499 Prostar motor
C&D got up to 28MPG on 75mph freeway loop.

Really the only advantage is no windshield (have to wear a helmet).   After involuntarily ducking after a car threw up a chunk of tire which hit the windshield and went over the car the other day, I wouldn't want to drive around with no windshield!!!!!
Will

Eye of the Tiger

I'd drive a Slingshot. I wonder if they are allowed at autocrosses.

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 20, 2020, 12:28:49 PM

Unless there was a recent rule change, they are not allowed by SCCA.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 20, 2020, 12:28:49 PM

Sure if someone gave me one!  I just don't understand why anyone would buy one.

I forgot the 0-60 and 1/4mile is about the same as the Miata, Slingshot is lighter but less traction. I'm sure they're fun to fling around a track but again, I don't see any advantage over other cars. And they're not even in the same comparison as a motorcycle.
Will

Laconian

They look cool from the front, but utterly abysmal when viewed from the rear.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Laconian on October 20, 2020, 02:10:59 PM
They look cool from the front, but utterly abysmal when viewed from the rear.
WORD!!!

Laconian

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C7 on October 20, 2020, 02:45:28 PM
WORD!!!

I really, really can't overemphasize how nasty they look.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Laconian on October 20, 2020, 02:46:24 PM
I got a couple friends that have them! They've always looked odd to me.....

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on October 20, 2020, 02:46:24 PM
I saw one on the road once.  They're kind of hard to look at, too many swoops and angles and odd shapes.  A lot to take in.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Slingshots are just so bad! 

"Let's take the worst features of a motorcycle, and the worst features of a car- and mash them together!!!"
Will

Laconian

And throw in a GM Ecotec with an indifferent stickshift to make it extra lame!

MX793

IIRC, they don't even handle all that well.  Fun at maybe 7-8/10ths, but push them hard and they aren't great.  Build quality also isn't a high point.  And rearward visibility is non-existent.  No better than a semi truck with a sleeper cab and no rear windshield.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 20, 2020, 05:43:09 PM
That is hot
One of the best I've seen.  They didn't mess with the exterior too much and the interior is perfect, a hint of the original and not overdone.  With the SVT supercharged engine, it must go like hell.  Just gorgeous.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

AutobahnSHO

Will

Laconian

If only the range was a palindrome, too!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on October 20, 2020, 09:01:34 PM
If only the range was a palindrome, too!

That would have been cool! Or the temp. Or both!

It's exciting to me to have a car under 100k miles lol. Subaru broke 101k last month, Miata has 163k+
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 21, 2020, 05:22:43 AM
That would have been cool! Or the temp. Or both!

It's exciting to me to have a car under 100k miles lol. Subaru broke 101k last month, Miata has 163k+

Scooty has just over 6000 km. :rockon:

cawimmer430

Dad's new winter wheels and tires were fitted today. The tires are Goodyear UltraGrip Performance  225/45 R18 and the wheels are 18" RIAL M12s.

I had the honor of driving him since he wanted to be driven and later try some beers in the area so he needed a chauffeur. The dealer was 55 km outside of Munich. Roads leading to it were Autobahn and hilly and windy country roads. The fuel economy which the B200 delivers is incredible. Switch to eco mode and drive intelligently and you're guaranteed to get good gas mileage. However, on the 35 km stretch of Autobahn I was pretty much cruising at 150-170 km/h for most of the time (no traffic today). The fuel economy was still an amazing 5.7 L / 100 km (41.2 mpg). Incredible.

Here are the new wheels and tires.

Lunch later that day.  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

Both the wheels and food looks good.  :thumbsup:

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 21, 2020, 01:25:07 PM
Both the wheels and food looks good.  :thumbsup:

The really amazing thing is that my dad went for those tires because they are rated at being very quiet. And wow they are quiet indeed! The summer tires aren't exactly noisy, but the difference is amazing. ;)

Food was yummy!

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

DATING DONE RIGHT!  :lol:  :wtf:

This guy was in front of me today. His self-made sign reads:

"Looking for a woman for life [with the intention of starting a family]. [Woman needs to have] a strong character, be athletic, hygienic. Non-Smoker and Vegetarian. If you are this woman, contact me.... [inserts his Twitter profile link] (pixelated because of GDPR).

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Suck woman for life/familygru. Sporty character, sauber non refundable veggie, suck passenger fraud.