hounddog

'14 Ram 3500 Bighorn dually 4x4
850 lb ft 6.7l diesel
Power most everything
Most of the techno-gizmos; nav, uconnect, plug for iPods, etc
Heated seats
Heated steering wheel
Heated rear seats
Plow prep (dual 220 alternator s and underside skid plates)
Aisin transmission
3.73 gears
Lifetime powertrain warranty
300MM 9750 gawr rear axle
23,800lb towing capacity and 5600lb payload.

Gave my other truck to my younger son who just turned 16.  Figured I would go bigger this time.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

The mishap BTW was the 2500 dropped the transmission and I don't trust it to tow the 5th wheel anymore.  Had it rebuilt but still.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Soup DeVille

So, I take it the next truck is something like a Pete 359 or a Western Star?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

68_427

The father of some kid on my brother's lacrosse team had one.  Took it to all away games lol
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

No surprise the tranny went. He was towing way too much with it.

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on August 29, 2014, 07:20:07 PM
No surprise the tranny went. He was towing way too much with it.
Nice to see some things remain the same.

Wrong.

No, the 5th wheel was WELL within towing capacity (17,200), gvwr (10,000), gcwr (25,000), payload (2,350) of the truck I was pulling with; a 2014 Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 short box.

The transmission went out because the forward seal got a leak on a trip and dumped  the fluids out while traveling in the Ozark mountains. 

We went with the next class up for two main reasons:

First, I didn't like how the SRW felt in the mountains, since the 3500 srw with have the same basic feeling I wanted a more solid footing.

Secondly, we are getting a new boat which will weigh 18,000lbs and a 2,200lb trailer.  I wanted to be able to not have to pay a transporter every time we wanted to go somewhere with it on a trailer.

Otherwise, I would have another 2500.

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

GoCougs

Quote from: hounddog on August 29, 2014, 07:55:05 PM
Nice to see some things remain the same.

Wrong.

No, the 5th wheel was WELL within towing capacity (17,200), gvwr (10,000), gcwr (25,000), payload (2,350) of the truck I was pulling with; a 2014 Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 short box.

The transmission went out because the forward seal got a leak on a trip and dumped  the fluids out while traveling in the Ozark mountains. 

We went with the next class up for two main reasons:

First, I didn't like how the SRW felt in the mountains, since the 3500 srw with have the same basic feeling I wanted a more solid footing.

Secondly, we are getting a new boat which will weigh 18,000lbs and a 2,200lb trailer.  I wanted to be able to not have to pay a transporter every time we wanted to go somewhere with it on a trailer.

Otherwise, I would have another 2500.

If it was a broken seal (and which seal exactly?) which apparently you do not believe was related to load/heat/overload w/e, why not trust it tow the 5th wheeler anymore?

Quote from: hounddog on August 29, 2014, 02:40:49 PM
The mishap BTW was the 2500 dropped the transmission and I don't trust it to tow the 5th wheel anymore.  Had it rebuilt but still.

hounddog

Well, it was not overloaded so your statement of such, and any related overloading issues, is a non sequitur.

I don't trust it as I have never had good luck with transmission rebuilds be they car, truck, farm tractor.  They never seem to be as strong once they get rebuilt from a complete failure.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Rupert

So you bought a new truck instead of a new transmission. OK.

This whole setup is stupid excessive.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

And apparently his son needed a vehicle. :huh:

Nice truck, maybe a lil big for me though.

GoCougs

Quote from: hounddog on August 29, 2014, 08:48:04 PM
Well, it was not overloaded so your statement of such, and any related overloading issues, is a non sequitur.

I don't trust it as I have never had good luck with transmission rebuilds be they car, truck, farm tractor.  They never seem to be as strong once they get rebuilt from a complete failure.

Then how about buying a brand new transmission? Isn't going to be a ton more than rebuilding and about $40k cheaper than buying a new diesel one-ton. But if an AT is rebuilt correctly it'll be just as strong as new. I get buying a new truck that's not a reason to do it ;).

There's more than just trailer weight - drag at speed is a factor too which a full-size 5th wheeler will have a ton of. Perhaps the seal blew due to some sort of defect but either way no one really tows a full-size 5th wheeler with a 3/4-ton, specs be damned.

SVT666

Dog bought the last $50K+ truck to save gas money, and now he buys a new truck because he didn't want a rebuilt tranny and his son needed a truck?  Riiiiiiight.  Just be honest about why you bought the truck man.

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on September 03, 2014, 03:39:11 PM
Then how about buying a brand new transmission? Isn't going to be a ton more than rebuilding and about $40k cheaper than buying a new diesel one-ton. But if an AT is rebuilt correctly it'll be just as strong as new. I get buying a new truck that's not a reason to do it ;).

There's more than just trailer weight - drag at speed is a factor too which a full-size 5th wheeler will have a ton of. Perhaps the seal blew due to some sort of defect but either way no one really tows a full-size 5th wheeler with a 3/4-ton, specs be damned.

LOTS of people tow 5th wheels with 3/4 ton trucks.  Happens every day across the US. 

Drag?  Do you believe for a moment the ram engineers missed that in their weight ratings?  Sometimes I seriously doubt you have ever been an engineer.

Lastly, "as strong as new.". The new one failed.  Pretty sure I mentioned I had it rebuilt before giving it to my son.  And, if you knew anything about anything you'd know you can't buy a "new" replacement transmission.

I swear you and your little friend Craig would argue your own hatchings.  You also seemed to have missed my fourth post in this thread.  ;)
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: SVT666 on September 03, 2014, 05:38:30 PM
Dog bought the last $50K+ truck to save gas money, and now he buys a new truck because he didn't want a rebuilt tranny and his son needed a truck?  Riiiiiiight.  Just be honest about why you bought the truck man.
I love that you're hung up on the cost.  Lol

Fact; my '11 got very poor fuel economy, the '14 gets between 21-25 mpg.

Fact; '14 blew a $3300 transmission and let me stranded in the mountains.

Fact; I bought a truck with an Aisin transmission

Fact; my son just turned 16 and wanted a truck, which I happened to have an extra one.

Fact; I can afford to do something nice for a great kid. 

Fact; you didn't bother to read the thread, and missed where I mentioned the reasons for moving up to a 3500 dually.

My oldest kid got my wife's old X5.  I suppose there was a hidden agenda there as well?
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on September 03, 2014, 02:44:43 PM
So you bought a new truck instead of a new transmission. OK.

This whole setup is stupid excessive.
Actually, that's correct and wrong at the same time.  Congratulations.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

GoCougs

Quote from: hounddog on September 03, 2014, 10:36:51 PM
LOTS of people tow 5th wheels with 3/4 ton trucks.  Happens every day across the US. 

Drag?  Do you believe for a moment the ram engineers missed that in their weight ratings?  Sometimes I seriously doubt you have ever been an engineer.

Lastly, "as strong as new.". The new one failed.  Pretty sure I mentioned I had it rebuilt before giving it to my son.  And, if you knew anything about anything you'd know you can't buy a "new" replacement transmission.

I swear you and your little friend Craig would argue your own hatchings.  You also seemed to have missed my fourth post in this thread.  ;)

There are lots if different sizes of 5th wheelers. Unless you bought some fan dangled carbon special IMO you exceeded the tow rating of a 3/4-ton with a 5th wheeler of that size, esp. When loaded with water, food, etc.

There is more to drag than simply weight. That is why commercial vehicles have derating when towing large boats - the drag created by the huge frontal area, which is 100% independent of weight, can be huge.

LOL of course you can buy a brand new tranny - just as you can a brand new motor or windshield or rim or w/e. And so tius was a '14 that blew a tranny and you let them rebuild it rather than put in a new one?

The more details you provide the less this whole story makes sense.

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on September 03, 2014, 10:41:45 PM
I love that you're hung up on the cost.  Lol

Fact; my '11 got very poor fuel economy, the '14 gets between 21-25 mpg.
Fact: You lose money for every mile you drive in the '14 truck, because you spent $60K to save 5 mpg.
Fact: Stupid.

QuoteFact; '14 blew a $3300 transmission and let me stranded in the mountains.

Fact; I bought a truck with an Aisin transmission
Fact: You should have received a brand new transmission under warranty.
Fact: New transmission under warranty = Free; New truck = $60K

QuoteFact; my son just turned 16 and wanted a truck, which I happened to have an extra one.

Fact; I can afford to do something nice for a great kid. 
Fact: Your kids have no idea what the real world is like.

QuoteFact; you didn't bother to read the thread, and missed where I mentioned the reasons for moving up to a 3500 dually.
Fact: I read the thread.
Fact: You will find any excuse you can to justify stupid financial moves.

QuoteMy oldest kid got my wife's old X5.  I suppose there was a hidden agenda there as well?
Fact: Your kids have no idea what the real world is like.  It is my opinion that you are doing them a disservice.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Honestly, you guys are being a little douchey.

It's his money.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

Holy shit guys relax.  Let him buy a new fucking truck.
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

What's with this forum's outrage when people spend their money in a way you don't agree with?

You guys are losing your mind because he bought a new truck. The guy is filthy rich. Let him enjoy it. I'd do the same thing :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on September 03, 2014, 11:10:12 PM
There are lots if different sizes of 5th wheelers. Unless you bought some fan dangled carbon special IMO you exceeded the tow rating of a 3/4-ton with a 5th wheeler of that size, esp. When loaded with water, food, etc.
So which is it: no one really tows 5th wheels with 3/4 tons, or many do but there are different sizes?

Your opinion, as usual, is besotted and imbecilic.

No one carries more than 10 gallons of water as weight = reduced fuel economy.  And, food?  Are you daft?  The entire weight of a full kitchen is a couple hundred pounds at most. 

Again; camper weighs 13,400lbs loaded (we've had it weighed) which is 3,800 lbs under towing capacity.  The Ram 3500 dually with the 68rfe and 3.73 gears only has a towing capacity of just over 18,000lbs.  GCVW is 10,000 for a '14 which gives me almost 2,500 lbs room, and the GCVR is 25,000lbs on a '14 RAM, and since it weighs 7,100 I'm nearly convinced even you can do the base math.

QuoteThere is more to drag than simply weight. That is why commercial vehicles have derating when towing large boats - the drag created by the huge frontal area, which is 100% independent of weight, can be huge.
Wow. 

QuoteLOL of course you can buy a brand new tranny - just as you can a brand new motor or windshield or rim or w/e. And so tius was a '14 that blew a tranny and you let them rebuild it rather than put in a new one?
Chrysler does not sell new transmissions for trucks.  Under warranty you get a remanufactured, aka; rebuilt, one with a much reduced warranty.  You cannot buy a NEW transmission from Chrysler.

The transmission shop in Petosky will do a better job.  The lock-up torque converter that comes in the Eaton built 68rfe does not work well with the 3.42 gearing and shift problems abound.  A little reading on it will demonstrate my point.  ;)

QuoteThe more details you provide the less this whole story makes sense.

If your reading skills were better than a 4th grade schoolgirl, you would have read my fourth post in this thread, and had the capacity to better grasp the content.

Honestly, you've demonstrated a seriously lack of knowledge wrt Chrysler warranty, transmissions and basic towing knowledge.

I know your standard position is to try yo be the general purpose contrarian in attempt to appear as more knowledgable automotively than you actuly are, but in this (excluding the dozens of other threads where you were made to look the simpleton) you have seriously fallen down.

B- for effort, however.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: SVT666 on September 03, 2014, 11:45:01 PM
Fact: You lose money for every mile you drive in the '14 truck, because you spent $60K to save 5 mpg.
Really?  Lol, the insight and previously unknown knowledge astounds.

If you sell or trade this is probably true, otherwise: you have no point.

QuoteFact: You should have received a brand new transmission under warranty.
I believe by "new" you mean rebuilt used.  Actually, the new truck sticker was $62k.  ;)

QuoteFact: Your kids have no idea what the real world is like.
Are you sure about that?  I have one son who finished 4th in his graduating class and is now in college on scholarship and is pre-med, one son getting all A's and working a part time job while lettering in 3 sports.  And I have a daughter who is an all A student and helps volunteer for the local hospice service.

You have no idea what my kids are like, and what they may or may not appreciate.  I fully suspect they're as well adjusted and understand personal responsibility as well as any kid out there.  You're a small man for attacking someone's family out of petty jealousy and spite.  I pity you, and I pray you aren't passing this feeblemindedness in to your kids.

QuoteFact: You will find any excuse you can to justify stupid financial moves.
Fact: Your kids have no idea what the real world is like.  It is my opinion that you are doing them a disservice.
Lucky for me then, that your opinion is worth less to me than blowcougs'.

Since the whole crux of your argument is that by giving my kids vehicles I've not taught them personal responsibility, I will say this: having does not equal spoiling, just as not having does not equal learning good work ethics and personal responsibility.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT666 on September 03, 2014, 11:45:01 PM
Fact: You should have received a brand new transmission under warranty.
Fact: Your kids have no idea what the real world is like.
Fact: You will find any excuse you can to justify stupid financial moves.

Fact: You're a dickhole. shut the fuck up.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo