VW TDI gas mileage

Started by veeman, September 01, 2014, 11:14:38 PM

Tave

Quote from: r0tor on September 04, 2014, 05:52:43 PM
Jetta TDI is slower then the Focus as well

My TDI is getting anywhere from 46-53 mpg highway depending on the net grade of the road. The Focus isn't noticeably faster than the TDI from 60 and likely much less responsive from 20-40 or 30-60 etc... Probably also gotta hunt for the right gear every so often too.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on September 04, 2014, 06:24:23 PM
My TDI is getting anywhere from 46-53 mpg highway depending on the net grade of the road.

Damn.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on September 03, 2014, 10:39:49 AM
According to numerous dictionaries a correct definition for the word "gas" which is not slang = any combustible fluid used as a fuel.  If I had said, "gasoline" mileage then that would be incongruous with a diesel "fueled" vehicle.  "Gas" does not exclusively imply "gasoline" as opposed to the word "petrol".  While the term "fuel" is more commonly used to describe the mileage obtained per whatever unit, even NASA occasionally uses the term gas mileage when describing various spacecraft.  Correct definitions for the word "gas" also include verbs as in the example: I really want to "gas" my TDI Beetle from a stop light because it is so slow from a standstill.  The US govt. sponsored website www.fueleconomy.gov uses the terms fuel economy and gas mileage to describe the mileage obtained by all passenger vehicles outside of pure electrics.  The former is used more often but the latter is also used.

Fuel economy is a better term but gas mileage is not inaccurate when describing the miles per gallon consumed of a diesel fueled vehicle.

Go read your "gas" cap.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on September 04, 2014, 01:29:27 PM
Our Focus gets 40-42mpg highway... Why again are people burdening themselves with diesels?

Cars bigger than a focus getting the same mileage?
Will

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 04, 2014, 06:58:49 PM
Go read your "gas" cap.

As I pulled into the "gas" station and opened up my "gas" cap, it states Ultra low-sulfur diesel fuel only.  Never use gasoline.  Occasionally I get worried looks from the "gas" station attendant for which I state that my car takes diesel.  This is sometimes folllowed up by banter where usually the good "gas" mileage of diesel fueled cars is commented upon.  At this particular "gas" station, they were having a sale on "gas" cans.  I corrected the "gas" attendant indicating that it is really a jerrycan as it can used for both gasoline and diesel fuel for which I got punched.   

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on September 04, 2014, 08:18:23 PM
As I pulled into the "gas" station and opened up my "gas" cap, it states Ultra low-sulfur diesel fuel only.  Never use gasoline.  Occasionally I get worried looks from the "gas" station attendant for which I state that my car takes diesel.  This is sometimes folllowed up by banter where usually the good "gas" mileage of diesel fueled cars is commented upon.  At this particular "gas" station, they were having a sale on "gas" cans.  I corrected the "gas" attendant indicating that it is really a jerrycan as it can used for both gasoline and diesel fuel for which I got punched.   

Its not a jerry can either...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 04, 2014, 08:22:59 PM
Its not a jerry can either...

You're right.  It's more appropriately called a "gas" can despite it being used to carry and transport diesel fuel for those who own such vehicles. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on September 04, 2014, 09:12:01 PM
You're right.  It's more appropriately called a "gas" can despite it being used to carry and transport diesel fuel for those who own such vehicles. 

Well, it definitely isn't used to carry Jerrys.

veeman

Quote from: Tave on September 04, 2014, 06:24:23 PM
My TDI is getting anywhere from 46-53 mpg highway depending on the net grade of the road. The Focus isn't noticeably faster than the TDI from 60 and likely much less responsive from 20-40 or 30-60 etc... Probably also gotta hunt for the right gear every so often too.

I check my fuel economy right before every fill up on my TDI beetle.  In the winter 35-36 mpg.  In the summer usually 39 mpg.  I'm averaging 75 - 80 mph on the highway and the tach is usually stable above "2" at that speed.  I'm usually mashing the gas pedal quite a bit when I drive because the car is slow initially from a stop light/ stop sign.  I'm working on getting a consistently smooth 1st gear to 2nd gear shift.  If I'm not uber concentrating, it's jerky.

Same exact engine as your Jetta so you're getting way more mileage than me for identical weight car.  My car doesn't "look" that non aerodynamic though but the domed roof must be taking some toll.  You must be much more judicious with mashing the gas pedal than me. 

I guess I'll need a new turbo sooner than you from mechanical failure.   

Tave

Quote from: veeman on September 04, 2014, 10:40:53 PM
I check my fuel economy right before every fill up on my TDI beetle.  In the winter 35-36 mpg.  In the summer usually 39 mpg.  I'm averaging 75 - 80 mph on the highway and the tach is usually stable above "2" at that speed.  I'm usually mashing the gas pedal quite a bit when I drive because the car is slow initially from a stop light/ stop sign.  I'm working on getting a consistently smooth 1st gear to 2nd gear shift.  If I'm not uber concentrating, it's jerky.

Same exact engine as your Jetta so you're getting way more mileage than me for identical weight car.  My car doesn't "look" that non aerodynamic though but the domed roof must be taking some toll.  You must be much more judicious with mashing the gas pedal than me. 

I guess I'll need a new turbo sooner than you from mechanical failure.

Do you have the multifunction trigger on your wiper stalk? It tracks your daily mileage (will reset after 2 hours of inactivity) and your global mileage over the last ~20 tanks (the lesser of the last 9999 miles driven or last 9999 hours).

That 46-53 mpg figure is what the readout is telling me @ 75-80mph with the car in cruise control. When I take control of the pedal it drops down to about 40-43 mpg.

Yeah I tend to wring out 1st as it's a little slow of the line. You can hit the 800rpm cutoff in 2nd even if you're still moving forward if you aren't careful.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

MX793

What is this 800 rpm cutoff?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on September 05, 2014, 06:10:58 AM
What is this 800 rpm cutoff?

The engine just shuts off if you fall below the cutoff. It doesn't matter if the car is still moving forward and you would otherwise be able to lug along, when it hits the magic number the system shuts itself down. Makes it very easy to stall the car.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2014, 06:23:09 AM
The engine just shuts off if you fall below the cutoff. It doesn't matter if the car is still moving forward and you would otherwise be able to lug along, when it hits the magic number the system shuts itself down. Makes it very easy to stall the car.

Is there any way to disable it?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

cruise control will help mpgeez  like 2-5mpg sometimes
Will

Tave

Quote from: thecarnut on September 05, 2014, 07:00:27 AM
Is there any way to disable it?

Not sure. I know you can disable the hill-assist, which causes a lot of people to hit the cutoff, but I don't know if you can disable the cutoff itself. Personally I haven't had trouble with the hill-assist once I got use to it, but sometimes I still hit the cutoff when I'm put-putting around parking lots in 1st or 2nd. I've hit it mid-corner in 2nd too.

MX793

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2014, 06:23:09 AM

Ah, the min RPM setting for the fuel control solenoid.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2014, 05:53:23 AM
Do you have the multifunction trigger on your wiper stalk? It tracks your daily mileage (will reset after 2 hours of inactivity) and your global mileage over the last ~20 tanks (the lesser of the last 9999 miles driven or last 9999 hours).

That 46-53 mpg figure is what the readout is telling me @ 75-80mph with the car in cruise control. When I take control of the pedal it drops down to about 40-43 mpg.

Yeah I tend to wring out 1st as it's a little slow of the line. You can hit the 800rpm cutoff in 2nd even if you're still moving forward if you aren't careful.

I've never used the cruise control.  Even on my other cars which are automatic I hardly use it even for long distance travel.  I have to try it though.

veeman

I check the fuel economy by dividing the reading on the odometer (from prior fill-up) with the number of gallons (to the tenth decimal point) I put in.  I don't top off because I don't want any of that stuff to spill.  It smells nasty.  Somehow I think that's a more accurate mileage count than the electronic doo dads.

hotrodalex

Cruise control is awesome on long trips. Just don't let it bring you back up to speed after you cancel it momentarily, because most systems like to gun the throttle and kill mpgs.

Raza

Quote from: veeman on September 05, 2014, 11:33:04 AM

I've never used the cruise control.  Even on my other cars which are automatic I hardly use it even for long distance travel.  I have to try it though.

It's awesome for long distance driving.  Set the cruise control and it holds your speed steady without any effort on your part.  So easy.  I've always gotten my best mileage on cruise.  In my old Passat, switching to cruise for my drives between home and school made my average MPG go from ~25 to ~32.  And that's driving at relatively the same speeds. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: Tave on September 05, 2014, 05:53:23 AM

My mpg figure on our focus was on a full tank, not just a stretch of road.

Diesel fail.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

Quote from: r0tor on September 06, 2014, 08:39:28 AM
My mpg figure on our focus was on a full tank, not just a stretch of road.

Diesel fail.

Nah you specifically said highway, and I gave you my highway mileage in every scenario (cruise on/off).

If you're telling me mileage for "a...tank" and not what you average across all tanks, my first instinct is to assume you cherry picked your best trip ever, and that you typically make less.

Tave

I went for a drive on the Blueridge Pkwy yesterday, 190 miles total with about 60 on the Pkwy, I would have done more but I passed a park ranger going a little over the limit and decided to exit early.

About 90 of those miles were interstate or divided highway where I set my cruise @ 75-80, the rest was all mountain driving in 3rd-6th with lots of shifting. I stopped probably 6-7 times for pictures and to grab a snack, and got hung up at stoplights in the small towns and construction in the mountain. Every opportunity I had on the Pkwy to let loose I took it.

48 mpg round trip

Man that's a fun drive. I've done a portion of the VA-WV Pkwy but it's been awhile. Sometime soon I want to go back to where I started yesterday and take it all the way to Asheville.

12,000 RPM

Wow thats better mileage than my bike

I have been meaning to get up there too but it's just too far on the bike for me. Wifey and I are looking to do Asheville.... maybe by the end of the month.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 08, 2014, 08:51:56 AM
Wow thats better mileage than my bike

I have been meaning to get up there too but it's just too far on the bike for me. Wifey and I are looking to do Asheville.... maybe by the end of the month.

It's not a bad drive up either I40 or I26 and once you get up there Asheville is a lot of fun.

Tave

I averaged 50 mpg for work today (on the nose, 50.0 on the daily trip readout), with 150 miles on the clock. About 60/40 rural highway vs. interstate, no cruise. I've got about 1600 miles on the odometer now and my highway mileage is consistently hovering at 46-50.

Small correction to one of my earlier posts: the second trip readout on this generation TDI records your mileage over the last 9999 miles or 99 hours, not 9999 hours. So unless you just drove the Pan-American highway, it's probably only showing the past 4 days.

Tave

^^^^I was also babying the throttle (sorry Soup) to see if I could push it, on Sunday when I hit 48 mpg I wasn't nearly as cautious. Not a bad drop off at all though given that I did the 48 in the mountains.

For my next weekend drive, I'm going to turn off the mpg tracker until the end of the day and try not to drive with any purpose.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Those on the fly computers aren't that accurate. It's most accurate to do it via hand calculations

CALL_911

This is a trip computer calculating for one isolated trip, not a whole tank. Its a useless picture, I just like the figure

2004 S2000
2016 340xi