2015 Subaru Outback

Started by Catman, September 02, 2014, 07:58:42 AM

68_427

Pfff I've got plenty-o-vins if I needed them.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: Catman on September 21, 2014, 07:15:58 PM
The one I got came in a bit under $32k. Not sure what else out there offers more for the money?

I do think the 3.6L adds a lot of cost and doesn't look as good money-wise.

$32,000 for a Subarua that's not a WRX or STI!?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: 68_427 on September 22, 2014, 02:07:50 PM
I wonder if Subaru will be doing another Special Appearance Package with brown leather like the 4th gen?

If they came out with brown leather and Android Auto for 2016, I'd be all over that.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on September 23, 2014, 12:47:34 AM
$32,000 for a Subarua that's not a WRX or STI!?

Like Laconian said, this car makes the Volvo wagon a little superfluous.

@ $40,000 for an AWD Volvo Wagon. 

Similar excellent safety record, Subie looks better in my opinion, Volvo has bigger/quieter engine, Volvo has better seats and interior (although Subie is much improved).  Subie has better gas mileage.  I personally don't find Volvo to have the cache of a luxury brand although some would disagree. 

On looks alone, I'd take the Outback.  It's really a big car.  Much larger than a WRX.  The only thing I don't like about the looks is the plasticky looking stuff on the bumpers surrounding the fog lights.   

Catman

I have noticed some wind noise around the passenger mirror. A common issue with the new door mounted mirrors. It's not terrible though. I guess Subaru is working on a solution to it.

hotrodalex

Door mounted mirrors on modern cars are so dumb.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Catman on September 23, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
I have noticed some wind noise around the passenger mirror. A common issue with the new door mounted mirrors. It's not terrible though. I guess Subaru is working on a solution to it.

Yeah same thing on my ten-years-older Forester. If they haven't figured out a solution in this amount of time it's just gonna do it.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Secret Chimp

I was just thinking cramming a piece of duct tape into the seam for the swivel...

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Catman

Supposedly it's not the mirror but the small triangle glass on the door

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Catman on September 23, 2014, 03:34:06 PM

The moulding next to it more likely. Anything that air hits instead of blowing past...
Will

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on September 23, 2014, 10:41:36 AM
Like Laconian said, this car makes the Volvo wagon a little superfluous.

@ $40,000 for an AWD Volvo Wagon. 

Similar excellent safety record, Subie looks better in my opinion, Volvo has bigger/quieter engine, Volvo has better seats and interior (although Subie is much improved).  Subie has better gas mileage.  I personally don't find Volvo to have the cache of a luxury brand although some would disagree. 

On looks alone, I'd take the Outback.  It's really a big car.  Much larger than a WRX.  The only thing I don't like about the looks is the plasticky looking stuff on the bumpers surrounding the fog lights.   
We priced out a V70 with the desirable doodads and hit the high 50's.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TBR

Quote from: Catman on September 23, 2014, 03:34:06 PM

My Outback developed a lot of wind noise from one of the mirrors by 20k miles. Apparently it was a real common issue (and guess it still is). I finally had them replace a gasket, and it fixed it.

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 23, 2014, 11:41:02 AM
Door mounted mirrors on modern cars are so dumb.

Where else does one mount a mirror in this country?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

I think they mean not mounted in the corner of the window.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Just put down a deposit on a Midnight Blue Limited Outback w/Eyesight. Delivery ETA in November.

CALL_911

Wow. What made you pick it over keeping the TSX?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 23, 2014, 10:12:48 PM
Wow. What made you pick it over keeping the TSX?

Lots of reasons... Better interior, HUGELY spacious trunk, quieter ride, improved fuel economy on 87 octane, adaptive cruise, AWD, and it can take the *ridiculous* potholes of south Seattle. The higher ride height will probably reduce glare during slick evening commutes in the colder months.

The TSX is a very nice car, but the Outback is better for daily driving.

CALL_911

I'd have been super tempted to keep the TSX, but I feel you man

Congratulations, man. What a great car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

We were going to keep it until we drove the Outback. It was pretty obvious that it was just a better car.

With cars like the Jettawagen and the 3, there was always the doubt of "eh, it's better in a few ways, but worse in others - are we looking at this just for the sake of change?"

But with the Outback, wow - the car's just fully baked. Neither of us had any such reservations. Other than maybe the power... or lack thereof... ;)

93JC

You got married and you and your husband turned into lesbians. That's just fucked.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 23, 2014, 08:10:36 PM
I think they mean not mounted in the corner of the window.

Like this?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on September 23, 2014, 10:01:20 PM
Just put down a deposit on a Midnight Blue Limited Outback w/Eyesight. Delivery ETA in November.

Congrats, no wonder they have been gaining market share every year this decade...
Will

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on September 23, 2014, 10:01:20 PM

:wub:

Ivory interior?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Catman

Quote from: Laconian on September 23, 2014, 10:37:53 PM
We were going to keep it until we drove the Outback. It was pretty obvious that it was just a better car.

With cars like the Jettawagen and the 3, there was always the doubt of "eh, it's better in a few ways, but worse in others - are we looking at this just for the sake of change?"

But with the Outback, wow - the car's just fully baked. Neither of us had any such reservations. Other than maybe the power... or lack thereof... ;)

Mine doesn't have iSight but the rear camera has that proximity warning and its pretty damn solid even with pedestrians at night.  Really impressed so far.  The whole power thing was way over stated in a couple of the reviews I read.  Bottom line, it's fine.  Hard to explain but with the CVT I find that I am driving a little different with this car.  After a couple hundred miles it feels a bit better to me now that its getting broken in.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Catman on September 24, 2014, 07:50:58 AM
Hard to explain but with the CVT I find that I am driving a little different with this car.

I believe the people having issues with CVTs are the people who are scared when the engine revs get above 3k. They're used to the shiftpoints of the auto transmission, and aren't spirited drivers.

Will

Catman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 24, 2014, 08:33:37 AM
I believe the people having issues with CVTs are the people who are scared when the engine revs get above 3k. They're used to the shiftpoints of the auto transmission, and aren't spirited drivers.

My wife told me one time that it sounded like something was wrong with the engine but it was just the CVT.  Guess she forgets how here 2007 Maxima drove.  :huh:  This transmission is funny though because when you accelerate hard it will change to shift points.   

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Catman on September 24, 2014, 09:45:07 AM
My wife told me one time that it sounded like something was wrong with the engine but it was just the CVT.  Guess she forgets how here 2007 Maxima drove.  :huh:  This transmission is funny though because when you accelerate hard it will change to shift points.   

That's to "unscare" the scared.
Friend with a Patriot gave me a ride, he found a place he could stop then floor it to 60mph to show me the rpms just stayed pegged. Did sound odd.
Will