C&D Lightning Lap 2014

Started by 68_427, September 06, 2014, 01:52:16 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 09, 2014, 07:48:55 PM
It's not what speed you reach, it's the strain on the engine. And I highly doubt an insurance company would be happy to pay out on an accident there.
...and, obviously, some engines strain more than others.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

So do you guys know how an engine is made, or how bits of metal ruin an engine?

You will be unsuccessful in trying to paint the GM small block V8 as dainty - GM's made the best Detroit V8 since the debut of the 2nd gen LT1 in 1992, pooprods and all.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on September 09, 2014, 09:12:35 PMSo do you guys know how an engine is made, or how bits of metal ruin an engine?
Maybe so, maybe no, but I'm certain of the circumstances called for it you would, even though you don't.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on September 09, 2014, 09:12:35 PM

You will be unsuccessful in trying to paint the GM small block V8 as dainty - GM's made the best Detroit V8 since the debut of the 2nd gen LT1 in 1992, pooprods and all.

Of course piston slap is an indication of quality.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 10, 2014, 06:00:17 AM
Of course piston slap is an indication of quality.

But it goes away after 10 minutes, so whats the big deal.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 09, 2014, 09:12:35 PM

Please tell me how engines are made  :popcorn:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 10, 2014, 07:52:19 AM
But it goes away after 10 minutes, so whats the big deal.
...when it doesn't.  It's a matter of quality.  Granted, the parts...pistons, cylinders...are, generally, withing spec but there is always slight variance.  It's a matter of integrity and quality control to match them so the fit is more precise. 

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 10, 2014, 08:16:44 AM
...when it doesn't.  It's a matter of quality.  Granted, the parts...pistons, cylinders...are, generally, withing spec but there is always slight variance.  It's a matter of integrity and quality control to match them so the fit is more precise. 

You're just a ford fanboy, I have no problem with piston slap, or leaking intakes or valves dropping with only 5K on the motor.

FoMoJo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 10, 2014, 08:40:46 AM
You're just a ford fanboy, I have no problem with piston slap, or leaking intakes or valves dropping with only 5K on the motor.
:lol:

I've always admired the tenacity of GM fans.  No matter how bad things get they still cling to their misconceptions.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 10, 2014, 08:52:40 AM
:lol:

I've always admired the tenacity of GM fans.  No matter how bad things get they still cling to their misconceptions.

It's not just GM fans.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

I can understand the angst to an extent - watching GM rule the V8 roost for the last 20+ years is disappointing for haters for sure, considering the last time Ford was at the forefront of engine tech/performance was the flathead V8 days, and the last time for Chrysler was the end of the muscle/pony car hey day with the 2nd gen Hemi (early '70s).

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 10, 2014, 09:49:49 AM
I can understand the angst to an extent - watching GM rule the V8 roost for the last 20+ years is disappointing for haters for sure, considering the last time Ford was at the forefront of engine tech/performance was the flathead V8 days, and the last time for Chrysler was the end of the muscle/pony car hey day with the 2nd gen Hemi (early '70s).
GM had the best V8 for 50 years or so, but Ford's V8 is far and away a superior engine. I still love the Chevy V8, but nobody can deny, with a straight face, that the Coyote is superior.

hotrodalex

Coyote is superior to which GM engine?

SVT666

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on September 10, 2014, 10:42:31 AM
GM had the best V8 for 50 years or so, but Ford's V8 is far and away a superior engine. I still love the Chevy V8, but nobody can deny, with a straight face, that the Coyote is superior.

Sure it can be denied by simply asking for facts and data - how is the Coyote (or Boss 6.2L) superior exactly? The LS3, LT1 and (10-year-old ;)) LS7 are smaller, simpler, as powerful or (far) more so, and have a better power band (case in point on the latter - despite equivalent peak power and shorter gearing the Mustang 5.0 isn't any quicker than the Camaro SS). The Coyote/Boss is worlds better than the Modular but they need VVL and perhaps more displacement to equal/best GM's V8s.

GoCougs

I will say the pooprod design lends itself to theoretically inferior NVH but if you're gonna hang your hat on that, well, that pretty much defeats your point actually ;).

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 10, 2014, 11:02:03 AM
Sure it can be denied by simply asking for facts and data - how is the Coyote (or Boss 6.2L) superior exactly? The LS3, LT1 and (10-year-old ;)) LS7 are smaller, simpler, as powerful or (far) more so, and have a better power band (case in point on the latter - despite equivalent peak power and shorter gearing the Mustang 5.0 isn't any quicker than the Camaro SS). The Coyote/Boss is worlds better than the Modular but they need VVL and perhaps more displacement to equal/best GM's V8s.
The Coyote achieves more power than the LS3 with 1.2L less displacement.  The LS7 is a 7L engine, and it has just 60 more hp than the 5L Coyote.  The LS9 in the ZR1 puts out 24 fewer horsepower than the engine in the GT500 and the LS9 has more displacement.  On top of all that, the Coyote sounds better...not to mention better NVH.  I love GM small blocks, but the Coyote is a better engine.

MrH

Ah yes, the old power per liter and sound argument :facepalm:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on September 10, 2014, 11:57:49 AM
He made it first and I debunked what he said.  Not to mention, Coyotes don't blow up when in the hands of auto journalists.

hotrodalex

More displacement but what are the external dimensions and weight of the engines?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 10, 2014, 12:00:32 PM
More displacement but what are the external dimensions and weight of the engines?

+1

Who cares about displacement when the motor itself is smaller and lighter?

HP/L is for mag racers.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on September 10, 2014, 11:31:41 AM
The Coyote achieves more power than the LS3 with 1.2L less displacement.  The LS7 is a 7L engine, and it has just 60 more hp than the 5L Coyote.  The LS9 in the ZR1 puts out 24 fewer horsepower than the engine in the GT500 and the LS9 has more displacement.  On top of all that, the Coyote sounds better...not to mention better NVH.  I love GM small blocks, but the Coyote is a better engine.

Not sure where you're getting your stats.

The LS3 is 426 - 436 hp depending on application. The Coyote is 412 - 440 hp depending on application. The LS7 is 505 hp in all applications. You conveniently did not mention the LT1 at 455 - 460 hp depending on application. The 5.4L S/C ain't anything close to the Coyote (but it is a bit more powerful than the LS9, so you can have 1 out of 4 ;)). In all cases the GM V8 is smaller and simpler. 

Like I said, if the only facts and data are superior sound (subjective) and NVH (who buys a pony or performance car for NVH, and this can be subjective too) well, you've proven my point ;). The Coyote needs VVL and/or more displacement to rationally be called "superior" ("far and away" or otherwise) to GM's LS/LT motors.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 10, 2014, 11:02:03 AM

The LS7 is a phenomenal motor. It's too bad they have a defective head design that drops valves and nukes motors in as little as 5 thousand miles(sometimes you get as much as 20K out of them).

Other than that minor issue they are badass.

GO GM!!!!!!!

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on September 10, 2014, 11:57:49 AM

Quote from: thecarnut on September 10, 2014, 12:10:24 PM
+1

Who cares about displacement when the motor itself is smaller and lighter?

HP/L is for mag racers.

Well, there is some theory behind it. More hp/L = lower pumping losses = inherently more efficient engine. In 2014 what with VVT, VVL, DI and sky high compression ratios, it doesn't mean much though, esp. in the case whereby the engine with the lower hp/L is smaller, lighter, simpler, and has equivalent or more power.

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 10, 2014, 12:13:06 PM
The LS7 is a phenomenal motor. It's too bad they have a defective head design that drops valves and nukes motors in as little as 5 thousand miles(sometimes you get as much as 20K out of them).

Other than that minor issue they are badass.

GO GM!!!!!!!

Well, if owners would stop putting in custom cams it wouldn't be a problem  :huh:.

A factory engine these days is a highly engineered system with millions of engineering $$$ behind it. Billy Bob swapping in a Crane Cam from Summit Racing is asking for trouble, esp. with the sodium-filled (i.e., hollow) valves and extremely toleranced valve train needed to get a pooprod motor to reliably spin 7,000 RPM.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 10, 2014, 12:21:34 PM
Well, if owners would stop putting in custom cams it wouldn't be a problem  :huh:.

A factory engine these days is a highly engineered system with millions of engineering $$$ behind it. Billy Bob swapping in a Crane Cam from Summit Racing is asking for trouble, esp. with the sodium-filled (i.e., hollow) valves and extremely toleranced valve train needed to get a pooprod motor to reliably spin 7,000 RPM.

Funny, alot of the failures are on bone stock motors.

But I'm sure that's the load that GM shot in your face and you're more than happy to just gobble it up.

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 10, 2014, 12:30:22 PM
Funny, alot of the failures are on bone stock motors.

But I'm sure that's the load that GM shot in your face and you're more than happy to just gobble it up.

Do you know how a cam and valve train works; pooprod, OHC or otherwise?

FlatBlackCaddy

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 10, 2014, 12:37:05 PM
Sure I do

The cam moves from cylinder to cylinder once every other even duration and pushes against the intake which causes the valve to rotate open and let the air into the piston. The piston blows the air out into the combustion chamber where the heat from the hot power steerage fluid ignites the air and causes a small nuclear reaction pushing the valve closed and causing the piston to turn over and suck more air.

It's very simple. Kind of like you

C'mon man, that's somewhere between JV and the WNBA. You can do better.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 10, 2014, 12:11:14 PM
Not sure where you're getting your stats.

The LS3 is 426 - 436 hp depending on application. The Coyote is 412 - 440 hp depending on application. The LS7 is 505 hp in all applications. You conveniently did not mention the LT1 at 455 - 460 hp depending on application. The 5.4L S/C ain't anything close to the Coyote (but it is a bit more powerful than the LS9, so you can have 1 out of 4 ;)). In all cases the GM V8 is smaller and simpler. 

Like I said, if the only facts and data are superior sound (subjective) and NVH (who buys a pony or performance car for NVH, and this can be subjective too) well, you've proven my point ;). The Coyote needs VVL and/or more displacement to rationally be called "superior" ("far and away" or otherwise) to GM's LS/LT motors.
Coyote is a smaller displacement engine producing the same or more horsepower.  Keep inventing BS data Cougs.  You proved my point in your first line.  Coyote makes more power (depending on application) and is 1.2L smaller.

GM doesn't publish dimensions or weights, but I found on GM Authority that the 6.2L LS3 found in the Corvette Grand Sport is 466 lbs.  Ford publishes weights and dimensional drawings right on their website and the Ford Coyote 5.0L is 444 lbs and is 29" wide, 29" high, and 26" long.