Cars you wished you bought back in the day, and ones you're glad you didn't

Started by 565, September 10, 2014, 02:29:36 PM

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 11, 2014, 06:54:50 AM
I still kind of want a Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

I am having trouble convincing wifey we need more cars though. 4 cars (my Z, turbo'd; a cheap stickshift commuter for me and a Volt for wifey, and a euro midsize wagon for road trips/ garage sales/ hauling friends & family etc) would be perfect.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

You want to turbo your Z? You, Mr. Turbos Are Only Okay On Camrys?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Quote from: SJ_GTI on September 11, 2014, 06:16:13 AM

I think I made a mistake getting the GTI. It was a nice enough car, but I knew when I bought it that it was a bit of an "experiment." After a few months I was already looking for another new car, but I was able to hold off a good # years before I took the plunge.

Other cars I was looking at, at the time, were a 330i and a Saab 9-3 Aero. I kind of wish I had bought the Saab, just so I would have known what it was like to own a Saab before they went out of business.

That's funny, I always thought the GTI was a great choice.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on September 11, 2014, 06:41:11 PM
Oh, you definitely do not need four cars!

whatevah!!!   :lol:

People who only own one don't understand the joy of choice. When I had my Miata still and the ex had her van and didn't want to drive either one of "mine" it was bliss to pick which one to drive to work every day....
Will

AutobahnSHO

Wish I hadn't sold my Miata last year, and I shouldn't have bought a 1983 Honda CRX (ugly version) in 2005, it was a piece of junk. (Sold it a year later at a loss, but the sale financed my amp/sub I still have in my car..)
Will

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on September 12, 2014, 05:53:11 AM

That's funny, I always thought the GTI was a great choice.

It wasn't a bad car at all. I sold it to my brother and still liked driving it once in a while. Only reason I think it may have been a mistake is because after a few months I already had the urge to get a different car. With my current car, I still have no urge to replace it (in fact I want to drive it another ~10 years) so I know I got the "right one" this time.

BTW, good call on the GTO Raza. I did test drive one when I was shopping and eventually got the GTI. it was a fun car, and drove "smaller" than I expected. I didn't take the plunge on that one either, which now that you mention it I also regret.  :lol:

Wonder how much a used ~400 HP GTO would cost nowadays.  :hmm:

12,000 RPM

GTO is so ugly though. Impractical as well. Barring price, I can't see why anyone would get one over a Corvette, considering its back seat is FR-S level useless. I would go as far as to say it's the worst RWD LSx equipped car... CTS-V, G8, Corvette all strike better balances IMO.

MrH

I almost bought one of the very last remaining RX-8 R3 (in blue, just like Onslaught's).  Sold out from under me right before completing a deal.  I wish I had just paid they extra grand or so and bought it.  I still love those.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

I still wish I could have bought the 86 Suzuki Samurai. Long story short it was sold out from under me, and I ended up with the Volvo.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on September 12, 2014, 09:21:12 AM
I almost bought one of the very last remaining RX-8 R3 (in blue, just like Onslaught's).  Sold out from under me right before completing a deal.  I wish I had just paid they extra grand or so and bought it.  I still love those.

Hahah join the club

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 12, 2014, 10:46:37 AM
Hahah join the club

Yeah.  It wasn't an R3, but I was seriously considering an RX before buying the Mustang.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

I test drove an RX8 before buying the C6, at Raza's insistence, but didn't really seriously consider it.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on September 12, 2014, 06:57:01 AM
It wasn't a bad car at all. I sold it to my brother and still liked driving it once in a while. Only reason I think it may have been a mistake is because after a few months I already had the urge to get a different car. With my current car, I still have no urge to replace it (in fact I want to drive it another ~10 years) so I know I got the "right one" this time.

BTW, good call on the GTO Raza. I did test drive one when I was shopping and eventually got the GTI. it was a fun car, and drove "smaller" than I expected. I didn't take the plunge on that one either, which now that you mention it I also regret.  :lol:

Wonder how much a used ~400 HP GTO would cost nowadays.  :hmm:

They're cheap. My friend got a mint one for like $18k

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 12, 2014, 09:06:35 AM
GTO is so ugly though. Impractical as well. Barring price, I can't see why anyone would get one over a Corvette, considering its back seat is FR-S level useless. I would go as far as to say it's the worst RWD LSx equipped car... CTS-V, G8, Corvette all strike better balances IMO.

I put a 6 footer in the back of a GTO and he had no complaints.  :huh:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 12, 2014, 09:06:35 AM

Is there any 2-door car that you don't think has a useless back seat?

And the rear seat in the GTO is vastly bigger than the FR-S.  5 inches more hip room, 7 inches more leg room, 2 inches more head room.  It's well bigger than an E9x 3-series coupe as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 12, 2014, 06:14:57 AM
whatevah!!!   :lol:

People who only own one don't understand the joy of choice. When I had my Miata still and the ex had her van and didn't want to drive either one of "mine" it was bliss to pick which one to drive to work every day....

Keep in mind who you're talking to. :P I haven't needed 80% of the cars I've owned.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FoMoJo

Wish I had bought the '56 Buick, Robins egg blue with white interior and white convertible top.  Bought a '57 Studebaker Silver Hawk instead.  It was okay, but I still think about the Buick.

Wish I had bought the '70 Boss 302 that I test drove instead of the Mach I 351 Cleveland.  The Mach I was okay but it was a let down after driving the Boss.  I sold the Mach I after a couple of years but I think I would still have the Boss 302 if I had got it instead.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

ifcar

I've fit alive into the rear of a GTO with fewer complaints than in many other cars. Those are real chairs back there:

Compared to FR-S/BR-Z:

MrH

Quote from: ifcar on September 12, 2014, 11:01:29 PM
I've fit alive into the rear of a GTO with fewer complaints than in many other cars. Those are real chairs back there:

Compared to FR-S/BR-Z:

Brz back seats actually look roomy in that picture compared to what they're like in person.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 12, 2014, 08:03:43 PM
Wish I had bought the '56 Buick, Robins egg blue with white interior and white convertible top.  Bought a '57 Studebaker Silver Hawk instead.  It was okay, but I still think about the Buick.

Wish I had bought the '70 Boss 302 that I test drove instead of the Mach I 351 Cleveland.  The Mach I was okay but it was a let down after driving the Boss.  I sold the Mach I after a couple of years but I think I would still have the Boss 302 if I had got it instead.

The '57 SB Hawk is a classic though - exterior design ahead of its time.

CALL_911

I test drove one with my mother (I know, I know), who is 5'0". She couldn't even fit in the rear seat

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on September 12, 2014, 11:22:34 PM
The '57 SB Hawk is a classic though - exterior design ahead of its time.
It was a nice design, even had machine turned finish on the dash.  Quite attractive.  The exterior style was very nice for the most part and an evolution of the Loewy coupe.  The underpinnings were a bit dated though, kingpins instead of ball joint.  Nice 289 V8 engine with a Borg Warner T-85(?) automatic.  It was great until it popped a frost plug in the middle of a dark foggy night and I didn't notice all the steam trailing behind...until I stopped at a stop sign and the engine seized.  Never was the same after that.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Onslaught

Quote from: MrH on September 12, 2014, 09:21:12 AM
The only complaint I have about the R3 is the seats. I love how they fell and how you don't move at all from side to side in them. But you can't adjust the seats side bolsters and the R3's seats are known for having the leather wear out and look like shit. My seat is doing this and it bugs the hell out of me. And new seat covers cost $5K a seat from Mazda because the air bags come on the damn cover. I'm going to take it to a good upholstery shop one day and have both front seats redone with higher quality stuff.

12,000 RPM

Semi regret.... not jumping on an S54 swapped 330i a few months back. Dude wanted 7K for it, that's the price of the engine alone.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i