Char's E92 Build thread

Started by Char, September 21, 2014, 03:37:33 AM

Secret Chimp

Quote from: GoCougs on September 23, 2014, 09:10:19 AM
There's no such thing as a "worst part" on any modern exhaust system.

Those cats hanging off the log manifolds are probably some of the worst parts.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

AutobahnSHO

That's retarded. Take a perfectly "tuned" exhaust and add a bad bend and you just messed it all up. That bad bend would be "the worst part", and fixing it has potential for better performance from the engine.

In the same thought, sure the OEMs build the best exhaust they can- FOR A PRICE, there is always room to improve it, and just like with a computer, you look at the "bottleneck" and upgrade that part first.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on September 23, 2014, 09:06:58 AM
Generally no. Plus, by definition only "improving" one section is not tuning.
Who's definition is that?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

LOL

Your belief in he infallibility of automakers at times borders on the comical.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 23, 2014, 11:49:11 AM
Those cats hanging off the log manifolds are probably some of the worst parts.

Circa 1975 sure; automakers had to smog up motors but in modern times there's simply too much $$$ spent on powertrain development to botch exhaust (or intake or air filter or w/e ricer add-on du jour).

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 23, 2014, 11:57:32 AM
That's retarded. Take a perfectly "tuned" exhaust and add a bad bend and you just messed it all up. That bad bend would be "the worst part", and fixing it has potential for better performance from the engine.

In the same thought, sure the OEMs build the best exhaust they can- FOR A PRICE, there is always room to improve it, and just like with a computer, you look at the "bottleneck" and upgrade that part first.

Why would an automaker spend millions on a powertain only to "add a bad bend" to the exhaust system?

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 23, 2014, 01:33:39 PM
LOL

What would push it over the border?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on September 23, 2014, 02:38:48 PM
Why would an automaker spend millions on a powertain only to "add a bad bend" to the exhaust system?

They wouldn't. But let's say they didn't spend the time/cash to thoroughly examine all the variants, it's totally possible a better bend could be found.

Why on earth do you think HP and mileage go up every decade???  It's not because the cars made 20yrs ago were perfectly efficient... There's also a reason aftermarket parts are bought and used.
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

AutobahnSHO

Will

Char

:huh:

I don't know what the arguement is - you can make 5+whp (sometimes even more than 10whp) depending on the car. Look at the 7th Generation Accord V6. A full bolt on 370Z, including intake, header and or testpipe/high flow catalyst/exhaust and a tune can make upwards of 40-50whp

I'd be happy to post the dynos.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Will

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 23, 2014, 01:33:39 PM
LOL

It all fits into the larger narrative of Smart GuysTM, the superiority of big business over small business and capitalism solving all problems in the world.

Char

... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 23, 2014, 04:40:04 PM
It all fits into the larger narrative of Smart GuysTM, the superiority of big business over small business and capitalism solving all problems in the world.

Or, if you live in a world where everything is a clean sheet design without time or budget constraints, where last minute bean counter changes never happen, or where off the shelf designs are never shoehorned into applications where they just kinda fit.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on September 23, 2014, 02:38:48 PM
You can't be this stupid....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

hotrodalex

Quote from: Char on September 23, 2014, 04:07:30 PM
Look at the 7th Generation Accord V6. A full bolt on 370Z, including intake, header and or testpipe/high flow catalyst/exhaust and a tune can make upwards of 40-50whp

Wait you can bolt a 370Z onto an Accord? Whoa

Char

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 23, 2014, 05:30:24 PM
Wait you can bolt a 370Z onto an Accord? Whoa

In Sporty's case - you put a Accord in a 350Z.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 23, 2014, 04:49:53 PM
Strangely familiar argument.

Can you skip ahead to the point where we give a fuck?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on September 23, 2014, 06:30:08 PM

Can you skip ahead to the point where we give a fuck?

Whatever is in your ass... it can be removed.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 23, 2014, 02:46:29 PM
They wouldn't. But let's say they didn't spend the time/cash to thoroughly examine all the variants, it's totally possible a better bend could be found.

Why on earth do you think HP and mileage go up every decade???  It's not because the cars made 20yrs ago were perfectly efficient... There's also a reason aftermarket parts are bought and used.

HP and mileage don't go up every decade because of a lack of bends.

Aftermarket parts like KASSY and CAIs and grounding kits are bought and used by people like Char (i.e., 'nuff said).

GoCougs

Quote from: Char on September 23, 2014, 04:07:30 PM
:huh:

I don't know what the arguement is - you can make 5+whp (sometimes even more than 10whp) depending on the car. Look at the 7th Generation Accord V6. A full bolt on 370Z, including intake, header and or testpipe/high flow catalyst/exhaust and a tune can make upwards of 40-50whp

I'd be happy to post the dynos.

The "argument" is you do not know what you are talking about. KASSY is rice, lol at detecting 5whp on a chassis dyno, and there's a very good reason why a tune will void a power train warranty (i.e., also bad premise).

Rupert

I don't trust dynos unless there is a pretty serious effort at a scientific approach.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on September 23, 2014, 08:23:27 PM
I don't trust dynos unless there is a pretty serious effort at a scientific approach.

All i know is that there's a serious difference between the dynos installed at the manufacturers and the dinky 24 inch roller Mustang dynos used by most tuning shops.

One if the calibration dynos at ford in Allen Park actually sits inside a hyperbaric chamber 

Char

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 23, 2014, 08:36:03 PM
All i know is that there's a serious difference between the dynos installed at the manufacturers and the dinky 24 inch roller Mustang dynos used by most tuning shops.

One if the calibration dynos at ford in Allen Park actually sits inside a hyperbaric chamber

Or you can use a dynojet that's actually calibrated by dynojet - and reads the same as another one across town.
I'm amused at people who criticize chassis dynos and have never used one themselves.

Soup DeVille

I've watched the exact same car make two runs within an hour of one another and get results that were 7-8 HP different.

They're good tools, but they shouldn't be worshipped as the supreme and flawless references that some internet bench racers treat them.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 23, 2014, 08:36:03 PM

Well, all you should need to show a power change is same atmospheric conditions before and after changes, same other-conditions for the car (same plugs unless you're testing plugs, for example), same dyno-conditions, and a bunch of dyno runs for each before and after (statistically valid sample, seems like n=5 to 10 would be enough).

And I would never trust any dyno outside of the OEM (pretty much) to actually give the real number.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA