Top Gear Christmas special goes down to Argentina

Started by Mustangfan2003, September 22, 2014, 06:01:57 PM

AutobahnSHO

Yes but they didn't discover the oil until the last few years. Long after the war..
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 05, 2014, 04:18:59 PM
Yes but they didn't discover the oil until the last few years. Long after the war..
I would hope that there would be some oil revenues available from the Falklands...as the Brits spent so much of their North Sea oil revenues in financing the war.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 05, 2014, 04:18:59 PM

There has been talk of oil there since the 1950's.  Confirmation by drilling is much more recent, certainly post 1982.

Argentina's always felt the islands were theirs.  Repeated attempts to resolve the 150 year old dispute came to nothing.  By 1982 I think Argentina, with it's military government,  felt the time was right to flex their muscles and take the islands by force.  They underestimated the resolve of the UK to fight for and hold the islands.

Rupert

Geographically Argentina's, culturally the UK's. Will of the people, etc.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MexicoCityM3

Argentina was a top world power at the beginning of the 20th century. Then they wasted an entire century and became a third world country. But they don't seem to ever accept that and get to work to fix it.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Mustangfan2003

AutobahnSHO

Btw I studied it and wrote a paper, the debate "can" be linked to America getting mad and an American ship destroyed the Spanish colony, which is when the Brits settled for good.... :lol:
Will