New shop tools and toys.

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, September 27, 2014, 05:38:36 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Lets have a little thread where we can show off and discuss new automotive tools and toys that we have recently added to our garages.

I didn't want to start a thread solely for just my one item.  So let's keep it going with everyone's new stuff.

FlatBlackCaddy

I just had these dropped off on Friday. Just got around to unboxing a bit ago.

Rupert

I need a new floor jack. Recommendations at the mid-price or cheaper level?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FlatBlackCaddy

Do you have northern tool stores in your area? I have, and now many people, that have used the torin brand they have there. Reasonable and seem to hold up well.

68_427

Tool in the back is the only tool I need.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 27, 2014, 07:15:40 PM
Do you have northern tool stores in your area? I have, and now many people, that have used the torin brand they have there. Reasonable and seem to hold up well.

+1 reasonable quality

Or check Harbor Freight for the cheapest all-aluminum racing jack!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Go to the junkyard and get a couple scissors jacks

Rupert

No Northern Tool here-- you guys aren't any help, as usual.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rupert on September 28, 2014, 12:52:03 PM
No Northern Tool here-- you guys aren't any help, as usual.

:lol:

I think menards has some of the torid stuff. Whatever they have might be descent, atleast they will stand behind whatever they do have.

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

Go to a damn tool store and buy shit.

Pancor

Quote from: Rupert on September 27, 2014, 07:03:49 PM
I need a new floor jack. Recommendations at the mid-price or cheaper level?

Any jack in that price range is going to be from China, so all I can suggest is to at least find one with a good name on it from a place that will back it up.   Of course even a Chinese jack that sees only intermittent use will still probably last 10 years, so.....

Rupert

That's about exactly how long my Craftsman jack lasted. I'm not sure it's totally dead, actually.

Pancor

Quote from: Rupert on September 30, 2014, 11:33:50 AM
That's about exactly how long my Craftsman jack lasted. I'm not sure it's totally dead, actually.

It probably isnt!  a $10 seal kit and a $5 bottle of oil would probably bring it back.     

Pancor

Here's my current favourite "toy", a Lincoln 175 amp tig welder.   

Which I recently used to build a shop press, around a cheap 6 tonne bottle jack.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Pancor on September 30, 2014, 12:01:06 PM

Which I recently used to build a shop press, around a cheap 6 tonne bottle jack.

You're in Ontario, right?  Where abouts?
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Pancor

FoMoJo

Quote from: Pancor on September 30, 2014, 12:09:24 PM
Near Barrie!    You?
Right now, near Port Perry.  We're relocating to Seagrave in a few months.  Not entirely serious, but you seem like a handy guy to know as I'm planning on restoring my old Alfa once we get relocated.

Pancor

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 30, 2014, 12:20:52 PM
Right now, near Port Perry.  We're relocating to Seagrave in a few months.  Not entirely serious, but you seem like a handy guy to know as I'm planning on restoring my old Alfa once we get relocated.

I used to be in that area quite a bit when I drove for a living, its nice!     I'd love to lend a hand working on an interesting vehicle like that, but its a bit of drive from up here!

FoMoJo

Quote from: Pancor on September 30, 2014, 12:41:16 PM
I used to be in that area quite a bit when I drove for a living, its nice!     I'd love to lend a hand working on an interesting vehicle like that, but its a bit of drive from up here!
Only kidding, sort of, but I need to get a few more big item tools for the process.  Ideally, I'd like to get a rotisserie.

Rupert

FlatBlackCaddy

Cool, Ironically I did the exact opposite. I bought a nice Press from the local Tool store and used it to build a tig welder.

It didn't turn out too well........

Pancor

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 30, 2014, 12:47:13 PM
Only kidding, sort of, but I need to get a few more big item tools for the process.  Ideally, I'd like to get a rotisserie.

If you've got the space, why not?  Awesome!

Pancor

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 30, 2014, 01:13:44 PM
Cool, Ironically I did the exact opposite. I bought a nice Press from the local Tool store and used it to build a tig welder.

It didn't turn out too well........

Lol...   What do you use the corner scales for, setting up for auto-x and stuff?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Pancor on September 30, 2014, 02:29:26 PM
Lol...   What do you use the corner scales for, setting up for auto-x and stuff?

I'm going to be really digging into my 300ZX this winter. Would like to use it for some base weighting, various stages of stripped weights and then of course corner weighting. Then I'm also going to do my 240sx, which I'll use as an autox car now that I don't own a miata.

AutobahnSHO

So cool!
Will

FoMoJo

FlatBlackCaddy

FoMoJo

Eye of the Tiger

That is a nice looking press.... and welder. I wonder if I could make good enough welds with a flux core to make a press. I would have to test it by maxing out the jack and seeing if anything breaks.