Today's shoot (and test drive): 1991 Buick Park Avenue 3.8 V6

Started by cawimmer430, October 03, 2014, 02:45:06 PM

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 15, 2014, 11:05:32 AM
I think the J bodies and... W bodies?... from around 1991-1992 looked really good.

I think the 1995+ Cavalier is a really well styled and proportioned small car. Too bad they were all abysmal, insipid, trash.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 14, 2014, 01:55:57 PM
Watching Wimmer try and play this car up as anything better than absolutely awful is HILARIOUS.

That said, I have been meaning to write up an Oppo article on how GM hit a monster design stride in the late 80s/early 90s. The cars were absolute crap, but everything from the Cavalier to the Grand Prix looked damn good IMO. Clean lines, low shoulders, good details, futuristic, airy looks... they looked great.

Please show me where exactly I am defending this car?

I am simply stating my non-biased observations about this car after an enjoyable test drive with it.

Does it drive like a sports sedan? No. Is the handling impressive? No. But does the car wobble and float all over the place? No. The "handling qualities" of this car were better than expected and not what I expected. Power wise I thought the performance was more than sufficient. Without knowing too much detail about GM in the 1990s, I get the distinct impression that for its time this car was quite good and probably one of the better GM/American automotive products out there.

I don't drive cars like this on a daily basis, so it's a welcome and refreshing change from what I usually drive - believe it or not. I will freely admit that i enjoyed driving this car. I enjoyed the lifeless steering and the bench seats and the "American car feel" of that era that were all to present in this machine. I liked it. That's all.

:huh:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Then you're in for a real treat with the Eldorado. That Buick is a race car by comparison.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 16, 2014, 06:53:46 AM
Then you're in for a real treat with the Eldorado. That Buick is a race car by comparison.

The owner won't let me drive it. I'll be allowed to sit in it, but drive it? Not a chance.

Still - the pleasure of being able to shoot such a gorgeous vehicle is like an honor for me!  :wub:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 16, 2014, 07:00:53 AM
The owner won't let me drive it. I'll be allowed to sit in it, but drive it? Not a chance.

Still - the pleasure of being able to shoot such a gorgeous vehicle is like an honor for me!  :wub:

How disappointing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on October 15, 2014, 10:42:47 PM
I think the 1995+ Cavalier is a really well styled and proportioned small car. Too bad they were all abysmal, insipid, trash.
It had its moments... but GM's designs in the late 80s/early 90s were damn near Teutonic, but with more glass and expression. I can see why people were fooled into buying them... they looked really good.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs