Habitual Drunk Drivers

Started by dazzleman, October 05, 2014, 10:03:37 AM

bing_oh

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 14, 2014, 04:50:52 PMI limit myself to one beer with my meal if I'm on the road.  I really don't think that amount would make any difference to the majority of people.

My limit is two. I know for a fact that won't get me even within spitting distance of .08, but I personally feel it's irresponsible for a driver to have any level of impairment.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on October 15, 2014, 12:12:27 AM
Would I be "out of my element" if I agreed with him?

But you don't.

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 14, 2014, 07:31:05 AM
That's pure crap. It's exactly what 100% of drunk drivers are thinking.

SOME people might be able to drink "a little" and be "okay" "sometimes"- how much do you want the guy in the lane next to you to have drunk before driving??? There are a billion variables, and people are particularly good at making bad decisions.

Quote from: bing_oh on October 15, 2014, 12:15:13 AM
My limit is two. I know for a fact that won't get me even within spitting distance of .08, but I personally feel it's irresponsible for a driver to have any level of impairment.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Quote from: bing_oh on October 15, 2014, 12:12:27 AM
Would I be "out of my element" if I agreed with him?

Well you clearly don't agree with him, so it's a bit of a moot point, but if you did, no, you would be idiot. :lol:

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 15, 2014, 12:37:34 AMBut you don't.

Quote from: Rupert on October 15, 2014, 12:45:51 AMWell you clearly don't agree with him, so it's a bit of a moot point, but if you did, no, you would be idiot. :lol:

I do agree with him that many drunk drivers actually believe stupid things like they're "ok to drive" or "they drive better/are more careful when they've had a few beers." And I also agree with him that people are particularly good at making bad decisions. Quite a few drunk drivers actually do legitimately believe...or say that they believe...that they're not too drunk to drive.

AutobahnSHO

I personally feel it's irresponsible for a driver to have any level of impairment.

THIS.

And the way people drive, I shudder and cringe to think that y'all think it's ok that those around you drive "somewhat" buzzed.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: bing_oh on October 15, 2014, 01:11:07 AM
Quite a few drunk drivers actually do legitimately believe...or say that they believe...that they're not too drunk to drive.

MOST of them think everything will turn out ok if they drive after drinking.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on October 14, 2014, 07:35:13 PM
You're out of your element.

If everyone thought the same as me, no more drunk driving deaths/accidents. :huh:
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 15, 2014, 05:42:02 AM
If everyone thought the same as me...

Now there's an idea that will drive me to drinkin'
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 15, 2014, 08:14:14 AM
Now there's an idea that will drive me to drinkin'

how bout just this one issue???  :lol:
Will

Tave

Quote from: bing_oh on October 14, 2014, 01:44:08 AM
Tave said that he believes that lower per se BAC limits lead to more DUI arrests. The statistical numbers for the last 30 years contradict that. :huh:

I never made a claim about arrest rates. To clear up any confusion, I was speaking more in terms of criminalizing the behavior.

Quote from: bing_oh on October 13, 2014, 11:28:42 PM
So, that establishes your timeline for the lowering of per se BAC levels across the country, as well as showing a decline in DUI arrests since 1983...all despite those lowered BAC limits. Dispute it all you like, but the numbers disagree with your assertion that lower per se BAC limits are "making criminals out of an extremely large portion of the populous."

Well at least those second set of numbers you quoted actually say what you think they do. It still doesn't move the ball in terms of causal factors, and interestingly enough contradicts your earlier statistics.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

Even after just one stiff pint I feel it enough that I do not want to drive, and I'm nowhere near 0.08%. It doesn't take much - the thing I've noticed is that I can get a bit confused or not pay attention as much.

bing_oh

Quote from: GoCougs on October 15, 2014, 09:24:17 PMEven after just one stiff pint I feel it enough that I do not want to drive, and I'm nowhere near 0.08%. It doesn't take much - the thing I've noticed is that I can get a bit confused or not pay attention as much.

What the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests primarily check is what are called "divided attention skills"...the ability to do multiple simple tasks simultaneously. Basically, we're talking about the normal multitasking that we do pretty much without thinking while driving. Alcohol (and other central nervous system depressants) impair those abilities. Someone who is under the influence can (sometimes) concentrate on and do one task ok, but cannot do two or three simple tasks at the same time.

FoMoJo

Various forms of impairment.  Some eat so much it depletes the blood supply to their brain. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Tave

Or talking/texting on a phone, which is more dangerous than borderline BAC cases but treated as a civil infraction in a lot of jurisdictions.

Or driving while sleepy, driving with a car-full of screaming kids, driving while experiencing severe emotional distress, etc., etc., etc... (and those aren't even infractions).
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Tave on October 16, 2014, 09:51:33 AM
Or talking/texting on a phone, which is more dangerous than borderline BAC cases but treated as a civil infraction in a lot of jurisdictions.

Or driving while sleepy, driving with a car-full of screaming kids, driving while experiencing severe emotional distress, etc., etc., etc... (and those aren't even infractions).

Exactly- one should focus on driving when driving.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: bing_oh on October 15, 2014, 09:38:30 PM
What the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests primarily check is what are called "divided attention skills"...the ability to do multiple simple tasks simultaneously. Basically, we're talking about the normal multitasking that we do pretty much without thinking while driving. Alcohol (and other central nervous system depressants) impair those abilities. Someone who is under the influence can (sometimes) concentrate on and do one task ok, but cannot do two or three simple tasks at the same time.
Seems like flawed logic. When I drive- sober or not- I tend to drive with the radio off and focus 100% on the task of driving. Multitasking while driving is no bueno sober or not and the ability to multitask doesn't seem to be a relevant measure of how well one can drive....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 16, 2014, 07:52:16 AM
Various forms of impairment.  Some eat so much it depletes the blood supply to their brain. 

Quote from: Tave on October 16, 2014, 09:51:33 AM

The issues here are measurable/objective levels causation and detectability. Texting is sorta there but the others don't really qualify save for seeing the end result (poor driving, wreck).

bing_oh

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 16, 2014, 12:57:09 PMSeems like flawed logic. When I drive- sober or not- I tend to drive with the radio off and focus 100% on the task of driving. Multitasking while driving is no bueno sober or not and the ability to multitask doesn't seem to be a relevant measure of how well one can drive....

Really? You multitask every day when you drive...it's a requirement of the task. You steer with your hands, control gas and brake (and maybe clutch) with your feet, you have to think about navigation, operate various other required controls (turn signals, gear shift, cruise control, headlights, windshield wipers, etc), watch and react to your surroundings like weather conditions, road conditions, obstructions, pedestrians, wildlife, other drivers, etc. That's multitasking and it's what we do when we drive. If you can't multitask safely, you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

AutobahnSHO

Just staying in the lane and keeping speed constant is beyond some people.

Sober.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: bing_oh on October 16, 2014, 07:22:42 PM
Really? You multitask every day when you drive...it's a requirement of the task. You steer with your hands, control gas and brake (and maybe clutch) with your feet, you have to think about navigation, operate various other required controls (turn signals, gear shift, cruise control, headlights, windshield wipers, etc), watch and react to your surroundings like weather conditions, road conditions, obstructions, pedestrians, wildlife, other drivers, etc. That's multitasking and it's what we do when we drive. If you can't multitask safely, you shouldn't be behind the wheel.
Do breathing and blinking count as tasks too?

All the things you listed are sub tasks under the single task of driving. By this logic, shit like texting should be no problem- just another task to manage, right?- as something like turning your windshield wipers on requires some high level of attention/concentration.

No, I think metrics measuring things like awareness, coordination & reaction times are a much better indicator of one's level of intoxication and ability to drive.

bing_oh

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 17, 2014, 08:34:20 AMDo breathing and blinking count as tasks too?

All the things you listed are sub tasks under the single task of driving. By this logic, shit like texting should be no problem- just another task to manage, right?- as something like turning your windshield wipers on requires some high level of attention/concentration.

I never said they were particularly difficult or complex tasks...things that the human brain can multitask rarely are. Of course, the things that are asked from a person during the SFST's are also not complex tasks...comprehending and following directions, balance, and counting are all things that most of us have been doing since we were little kids. Yet, they are different tasks that different parts of the brain and different functional systems engage to accomplish them...as are the small tasks you do when you drive. Like it or not, you are multitasking when you drive.

QuoteNo, I think metrics measuring things like awareness, coordination & reaction times are a much better indicator of one's level of intoxication and ability to drive.

If you know so much about human physiology and intoxication, perhaps you should develop and approach the NHTSA with a new set of SFST's.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: bing_oh on October 17, 2014, 11:32:23 AM
I never said they were particularly difficult or complex tasks...things that the human brain can multitask rarely are. Of course, the things that are asked from a person during the SFST's are also not complex tasks...comprehending and following directions, balance, and counting are all things that most of us have been doing since we were little kids. Yet, they are different tasks that different parts of the brain and different functional systems engage to accomplish them...as are the small tasks you do when you drive. Like it or not, you are multitasking when you drive.

If you know so much about human physiology and intoxication, perhaps you should develop and approach the NHTSA with a new set of SFST's.
STRAWMAN ALERT :pullover: Questioning the value of assessing one's ability to "multitask" in the context of checking intoxication is hardly a claim of expertise in anything. Not surprised you take a question of authority as an ATTACK on authority though, thats your thing. Heres how silly that "multitasking" thing is though... A drunk college kid can mack on a doe eyed sorority pledge, play a game of beer pong and rap along with a song in the background without missing a beat... doesn't mean they should be behind the wheel of a car. Meanwhile there are folks who can barely walk and talk sober. So yea I question the value of that line of testing. Even with that, you still cant issue a DUI without breathalyzing which shows how much the NHTSA actually values SFSTs. But why would you ever question anything you are told to do thats not a threat to your power? :huh:

bing_oh

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 17, 2014, 02:38:02 PMSTRAWMAN ALERT :pullover: Questioning the value of assessing one's ability to "multitask" in the context of checking intoxication is hardly a claim of expertise in anything. Not surprised you take a question of authority as an ATTACK on authority though, thats your thing. Heres how silly that "multitasking" thing is though... A drunk college kid can mack on a doe eyed sorority pledge, play a game of beer pong and rap along with a song in the background without missing a beat... doesn't mean they should be behind the wheel of a car. Meanwhile there are folks who can barely walk and talk sober. So yea I question the value of that line of testing. Even with that, you still cant issue a DUI without breathalyzing which shows how much the NHTSA actually values SFSTs. But why would you ever question anything you are told to do thats not a threat to your power? :huh:

Wtf are you talking about? :nutty: