300ZX Turbo Track(ish) Car Build

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, October 09, 2014, 07:46:39 AM

MrH

Yeah, that's really impressive work.  I don't have the skills, patience, or dedication to pull off half the shit you do. :golfclap:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on April 19, 2016, 06:50:47 AM
Yeah, that's really impressive work.  I don't have the skills, patience, or dedication to pull off half the shit you do. :golfclap:

Thanks, but I really don't have any of that either. I've tried letting things sit and get done on their own, but that doesn't work. So somebody has to do the work, I'd really rather be driving than working on stuff.

CaminoRacer

You're going to redo the Mustang suspension, right?

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 18, 2016, 03:53:18 PM
Thanks, but I take a long time. You'd never see your car again.

Meh, not like I drive it anyways. I've had a radiator and A/C delete pulley sitting in my room for the past 2 months. I have a giant laundry list of things to do to my car, most of which don't even cost that much money or I have the parts for, but I haven't gotten around to doing it.

Hell, I only need to spend about $600 on the car to get it where I want it to be. Just need to do a bunch of little things that I really just don't have the time or patience for. Plus, on the weekends I'm always off riding my motorcycle somewhere.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 19, 2016, 09:34:28 AM
You're going to redo the Mustang suspension, right?

Ohh god yes, these old cars are garbage.

I'm going to do a budget build, it's going to be pretty minimal(caged, no interior/rear seat).

I'm most likely going to do a rear IRS subframe as well as a nice coilover front(found some aloominium ones). With some bracing and a cage the car should be pretty stiff, hopefully it will handle pretty well.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Cookie Monster on April 19, 2016, 10:21:51 AM
Meh, not like I drive it anyways. I've had a radiator and A/C delete pulley sitting in my room for the past 2 months. I have a giant laundry list of things to do to my car, most of which don't even cost that much money or I have the parts for, but I haven't gotten around to doing it.

Hell, I only need to spend about $600 on the car to get it where I want it to be. Just need to do a bunch of little things that I really just don't have the time or patience for. Plus, on the weekends I'm always off riding my motorcycle somewhere.

I had my coilovers for the 300zx for 14+ months before I finally got around to putting them in.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 19, 2016, 11:23:46 AM
Ohh god yes, these old cars are garbage.

I'm going to do a budget build, it's going to be pretty minimal(caged, no interior/rear seat).

I'm most likely going to do a rear IRS subframe as well as a nice coilover front(found some aloominium ones). With some bracing and a cage the car should be pretty stiff, hopefully it will handle pretty well.

Biggest issue on those cars is the tiny front wheel wells. Same problem as your Z, actually. :lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

I would like to find a tasteful way to widden both the front and rear on the mustang.

CaminoRacer

Wouldn't be too hard to flare the fenders since it's already in need of paint. Here's the same Mustang that I posted the rear suspension of:

FlatBlackCaddy

FlatBlackCaddy

Well, finally got the back end all put together, just needed to throw the exhaust on. Which I of course gave a quick cleaning too before doing so even though It will just be replaced this fall.

Not real dirty, but could certainly use a bit of work. Side by side after a light clean and quick pass with some metal polish.

Back on the car.

All I have left to do now on the suspension is head up front and put the new inner and outer tie rods on(stock inners, SPL outers) and change the calipers over to the new setup.

Getting the SPL outer on after installing the inner and new boot.

Pulling the old AP kit off the front.

New caliper next to the old.

Should have the front all wrapped up this weekend. Then I just have some things to do around the motor(remove AC, put my new battery in, maybe some misc removal and cleaning) then I can get on to putting the 4 point bar in and picking up some seats. Which I think will be the stopping point. Once all that is done I'll get a weight measurement and set the ride height, corner weight and do a full alignment. Once all that is set I'll take some measurements and find out what I can run for new wheel/tire sizes.

MX793

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 19, 2016, 12:23:17 PM
I would like to find a tasteful way to widden both the front and rear on the mustang.

I liked what the Ring Brothers did with their Espionage Mustang build.  Widebody that doesn't really look widebody (until you park it next to an original car).  They sell the kit, but it's like $28K for the fiberglass version ($40K for carbon fiber).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

where do you keep this car? Is that your garage or somewhere else??
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

That's my shop/garage, its a big 3 car detached.

I thought I posted some pictures after I cleaned up before winter profect season.

Through the door there is the 3rd stall for washing or light painting.

I'm glad I took these pictures. It's a shithole now.

giant_mtb

So jelly. :cry:

Also, which is bigger...your house or garage? :lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 07, 2016, 11:06:08 AM
So jelly. :cry:

Also, which is bigger...your house or garage? :lol:

The house, by a bit. House is too big, garage is too small.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 07, 2016, 11:12:59 AM
The house, by a bit. House is too big, garage is too small.
Same issue I have!  :ohyeah:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Late update, should have posted weeks ago.

Got the brakes all done in the front. Was a little disappointed that the new front rotors where heavier. They are only a half inch larger in diameter and I figured the 2 piece would have saved me weight over the old single piece. The reason became apparent when I did a side by side.

Old AP Racing rotor in front.

The reason for the weight gain.

New Rotor

Old Rotor

Front pads, old(top) vs new.

I really didn't want to add weight on ANYTHING that I did, but here proved to be the exception. I'm not happy about it, but given the obvious benefits in surface area and rotor thickness(not just the braking surface, but cooling structure as well). I think I can live with it given the hopeful performance benefit.

Here it is, all assembled up.

68_427

You can make that back with new wheels.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 68_427 on June 19, 2016, 04:47:13 PM
You can make that back with new wheels.

Or just skip the wheels altogether! How serious are you about saving weight?

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm going to step down to 18s and buy something nice and light. I'm sure it will even out.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Ive actually found a few volk wheels that are pretty nice and surprisingly reasonable.

68_427

The new CE28SL in 18x10 should be like 17lbs
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Quote from: 68_427 on June 19, 2016, 10:18:57 PM
The new CE28SL in 18x10 should be like 17lbs

Oooo, those look good.  I like them.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

Long overdue update.

Moved around front to get the A/C out and clean up the front end. Also installing a larger oil cooler.

Pulled the cooler out.

Old oil cooler hanging there waiting for removal, gaping hole is where the compressor once was.

Pretty dirty up in here

Got the old cooler and lines removed, as well as removed the old A/C lines from the compressor to the condenser. For the time being I left the lines that go to the passenger compartment. I'll get those when the engine comes out in the future.

FlatBlackCaddy

This thing was looking pretty rough, I've seen cracks in it before but I don't remember it being this bad. I'd better replace it. Apparently when they blow to pieces it sucks.

Cooler mounted, and getting ready to run the lines.

Tight working area, really had a bitch of a time getting this all bolted up. Lines should have been about 4-6 inches longer, or the fitting should have been 60 or 90 degrees instead of 120 at the sandwich plate.

Used a lot of hose to wrap the braided lines in some key areas. Both to protect the lines, surrounding components and paint finish. Those lines can rub and really do damage.

The most important area, these lines would have been rubbing both the radiator and the passenger side (pressurized) IC pipe.

Rad and oil cooler installed.

Got everything all hooked back up and checking the cooling system. Love this coolant tool, one of the best tools I've bought in the past 5 years.

No leaks.

With a vacuum pulled, fill it up.

FlatBlackCaddy

All back together.

Much better(cleaner, better airflow) than it was before.

FlatBlackCaddy

Just have to refill some fluids(engine oil, differential fluid), check the transmission oil, bleed the brakes and then do all my suspension setup(ride height, cross weight, F/R toe, F/R camber) and then she should be ready to drive for a while.