All Porsche 911s to get turbos in 2015?

Started by cawimmer430, October 21, 2014, 07:11:42 AM

cawimmer430

All Porsche 911s to get turbos in 2015?

Currently, Porsche builds two turbocharged 911s – the Turbo and the Turbo S (and their cabriolet counterparts). The rest of the 911 range, meanwhile, is motivated by either 3.4- or 3.8-liter flat-sixes of varying outputs. This clear separation could be set to change in the very near future, though, as rumors continue to swirl that Porsche's rear-engined range could switch exclusively to turbocharged power.

This time, it's Car projecting that the 911 range will go turbocharged as part of a mid-cycle refresh, with the base Carrera's 3.4-liter dropping to 2.9 liters and adding an iron lung, bumping the entry level 911 up to 400 horsepower. Yes, a 400-horsepower, entry level 911. The Carrera S, meanwhile, will retain its 3.8-liter engine, but will also benefit from turbocharging, increasing output to 530 horsepower and 520 pound-feet of torque. So basically, it sounds like the current, 520-hp 911 Turbo will become the next Carrera S.

What does that mean for Porsche's traditional high-performance models? Well, it's a safe bet that the Turbo, Turbo S and eventual GT2 will be producing seriously huge power figures. Based on pure speculation, we wouldn't be shocked to see a 600-hp Turbo, with the S and GT2 increasing output markedly from there.

What do you think? Should Porsche go turbo only, or should there remain an aspect of the 911 range that makes its power the good ole fashioned way? Have your say in Comments.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/19/porsche-911-full-turbo-range-report/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd rather see a car below the cayman for the entry level guys, a new 944 if you will though I'd prefer a mid engined car. I thought there were rumors of such a beast but maybe they died out. Would make some sense since a base cayman/boxster is in the 50's. My proposed offering probably would not dip below 40K so that isn't huge savings, atleast in the german sports car landscape. Probably just easier to squeeze the extra 10K out of a buyer than offer another model.

12,000 RPM

This is a weird rumor. I guess they are ditching plans for their 960.

911 was one of the few cars that made the legitimate case for NA. It is more than fast enough, it's light, it's got great traction and balance, etc. etc. Kind of sad to see it go this route as we are legitimately losing something. But I'd rather all 911s go turbo than lose the 911 completely. Shitty that they are turbocharging these before the stupid ass Cayennes and Panameras though.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 21, 2014, 07:39:03 AM
I'd rather see a car below the cayman for the entry level guys, a new 944 if you will though I'd prefer a mid engined car. I thought there were rumors of such a beast but maybe they died out. Would make some sense since a base cayman/boxster is in the 50's. My proposed offering probably would not dip below 40K so that isn't huge savings, atleast in the german sports car landscape. Probably just easier to squeeze the extra 10K out of a buyer than offer another model.
Aren't the Cayman and Boxster supposed to be entry level Porsches?

Lebowski

Quote from: SVT666 on October 21, 2014, 09:35:59 AM

Aren't the Cayman and Boxster supposed to be entry level Porsches?

Anything more entry level than that would just cheapen the brand IMO.

MX793

Quote from: Lebowski on October 21, 2014, 09:39:19 AM

You mean like the Cayenne and Macan, which both start at a lower price point than the Boxster/Cayman?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

Quote from: MX793 on October 21, 2014, 09:52:08 AM

You mean like the Cayenne and Macan, which both start at a lower price point than the Boxster/Cayman?

I'm not a fan of those either, or the Panamera.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Lebowski on October 21, 2014, 09:39:19 AM

Fuck that, Porsche should be about sports cars, not unattainable ultra luxury. We need a new 914.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Lebowski

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 21, 2014, 10:12:32 AM

Fuck that, Porsche should be about sports cars, not unattainable ultra luxury. We need a new 914.

It's not an entry level or a value brand.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 21, 2014, 10:12:32 AM
For most folks a brand new car period is a luxury.

Again Id rather Porsche with Caymans and turbos than no Porsche at all. All the evidence I need of the "success" of "purist" brands is the non existence of Lotus.

Plus the Macan is not bad. Its pretty much everything the Cayenne was supposed to be, though it could use a more forward front axle and some 4 bangers and V8s.

r0tor

Sad to slowly see all the cars you aspire to be able to buy and own one day turn into cars you don't want to buy or own.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't think asking for a sub cayman model STARTING at 42-43K is neither an "entry level" or "value" brand.

You have to remember that porsche base prices are BS, porsche has outrageous profits on it's hundreds of options and packages. A 40K base model would probably have transaction prices closer to 50. Just like the base cayman(at 52k) seems to really cost more like 60 once you get on a lot. NO porsche dealer has cars without profitable options on them.

I really don't think that's asking much, and I don't think it will change the image of the company at all. I'm guessing most of the people(90 percent) that would buy this new entry model would be conquest and not profits lost from cayman/boxster buyers.

12,000 RPM

Plus a 40K sports car is still a rich man's toy, lets be totally honest

You will still need another car so it becomes a 60-70K endeavor with 2x the maintenance etc. The whole "cheap" Porsche thing is BS, u want a "cheap" Porsche, buy a 986/996 and pray every nite to the IMS gods.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Lebowski on October 21, 2014, 10:21:59 AM

It's not an entry level or a value brand.

Then what is a 914? And fuck branding. Put a damn Hyundai badge on it as long a it's a mid engined roadster for real people. I'm talking about cars, not snobbery and marketing.

Submariner

The current 911T does 0-60 in 2.7 - 2.8 seconds.  How much faster will a 600 HP 911 be?  Jesus. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on October 21, 2014, 05:20:47 PM
The current 911T does 0-60 in 2.7 - 2.8 seconds.  How much faster will a 600 HP 911 be?  Jesus.

Probably +0.1 seconds because traction.

Raza

Why are you guys so upset about cars you won't own? They'll be faster, faster is better. I hope they drop the manual too, in favor of PDK. Faster.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

IF anyone is to blame for this its Nissan for building the GT-R that legitimized bench racers like GoCougs. "Who needs chassis balance and steering feel, look at the Ring times" :wanker:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 21, 2014, 05:36:11 PM
Why are you guys so upset about cars you won't own? They'll be faster, faster is better. I hope they drop the manual too, in favor of PDK. Faster.
What a terrible strawman

FlatBlackCaddy

Sadly, the average porsche owner is more 911 cabrio than GT3. I'm sure this move will fit in with the direction of the market.

I like fast cars as much as the next guy, but I'd rather my increase in money went to lighter as opposed to more powerful cars.

Galaxy

Ok, but then rename the 911 turbo to 911 GT or something like that.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 21, 2014, 05:39:44 PM
What a terrible strawman

Not a strawman.  Not everything is an argument. 

Some things are just mockery. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 21, 2014, 06:23:51 PM

Sadly, the average porsche owner is more 911 cabrio than GT3. I'm sure this move will fit in with the direction of the market.

What's so sad (or new) about this?  It's a $100k+ car, people want to drive it and enjoy it.

How many here track regularly?

MX793

I read a rumor recently that Porsche is looking at dropping a turbo-4 in the Coxster in lieu of the H6.  Hope they make their sound better than the latest Subaru motors.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Small displacement naturally aspirated flat 8........ahhfuuuu, gotta change the shorts.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 21, 2014, 07:12:31 PM
Not a strawman.  Not everything is an argument. 

Some things are just mockery.
Its more effective/funny to make fun of something when the observation you make is true... which essentially makes it an argument.

Not to mention, when we had the argument u are trying to throw back at us, u were wrong then too. The 991 GT3 is a brilliant car, in spite of its DCT, and does the GT3 line proud. Your knee jerk existential aversion to any and all driving aids has nothing to do with driving or cars.

68_427

Info from Pfaff in Toronto.

Confirmation that all 911s and Cayman/Boxster are going turbo except for the 911 GT3, 911 GT3 RS and Boxster/Cayman GT4 you will never again be able to buy a new non-turbo Porsche 911 or Boxster/Cayman. 

The Boxster/Caymans will all be Flat-4 TT, you will never again be able to buy a new Flat-6 Boxster/Cayman other than the GT4.

The facelifted 911s are going to be designated 991.2 (not 992 as rumoured.) But, the facelifted Boxster/Cayman are going to be designated 982. Not 981.2. 

Okay so here are the exact numbers: 

991.2 C2 (base 911) is gong to be a 2.7L Twin Turbo Flat-6 making 380hp

991.2 C2S (S model 911) is going to be a 3.0L Twin Turbo Flat-6 making 420hp

Boxster/Cayman base models are going to be a 2.0 Twin Turbo Flat-4 making 25hp more than now

Boxster S/Cayman S are going to be a 2.5 Twin Turbo Flat-4 making 25 hp more than now.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

12,000 RPM

They gotta do what they gotta do. I just hope they make em sound good.