Motor Trend Magazine"s 2015 SUV/Crossover of the Year

Started by Atomic, October 28, 2014, 07:42:40 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 08, 2014, 09:38:17 AM
Psychological advantage is a fancy way of saying that its better because people think it should be better. The car in front of you is the one to be concerned about, not the one in front of it. Yes, I understand his is a big deal to a lot of people. It's also a little silly.

That being said; the choice is t between a compact and a small SUV; its a theoretical choice between a compact SUV and a modern mid sized wagon that that same company would have built if they werent building that SUV.
In my wife's case, psychological advantage means that she is less nervous in her small SUV than she was driving a Focus.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on November 08, 2014, 09:39:24 AM

Do you really think every design engineer from various oems in each continent conspire to create hard defined dimensions of their vehicles? :confused: that doesn't make any sense.

No.  Based on my experience of getting in and out of various vehicles, it just means that imports appear to have a tighter door opening than domestics...at least the specific examples that I'm familiar with. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 08, 2014, 11:48:33 AM
In my wife's case, psychological advantage means that she is less nervous in her small SUV than she was driving a Focus.

You should be nervous when driving.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: MrH on November 08, 2014, 09:39:24 AM

Do you really think every design engineer from various oems in each continent conspire to create hard defined dimensions of their vehicles? :confused: that doesn't make any sense.

But they do all share a similar clientele base and have to cater to that clientele.

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 08, 2014, 03:14:00 AM
I don't see them being easier to get in and out of for the average person. Sure, somebody with knee or back problems might find it easier to get into a slightly taller vehicle, but that would not be the significant majority of people. The "better visibility" claim is pretty much nil and void now that the majority of other vehicles on the road are just as tall and have just as many tinted windows. Besides which, its only the poorer portion of drivers who ever thought that made a difference anyways. I would like to hear the reasoning behind assuming a higher roofline means better snow handling capability.

There are some practical advantages to a minivan for a lot of people when it comes to passenger and cargo room: and (a biggie for those with young kids) easier car seat ingress, access, and removal; but by and large I think the sedan based staton wagon is a better solution in many cases.

Small SUVs are easier to get in and out of than small cars.  Visibility is subjectively improved for a lot of people because you're more at eye level with other vehicles, bicyclists, and pedestrians.  Usually ground clearance is more than a car and most SUVs sold where it snows have AWD and both of those features are advantageous in the snow.

Many SUVs can't be driven safely over 100mph.  That's completely a non factor in the US but is very relevant in Europe. 

FoMoJo

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on November 08, 2014, 12:21:06 PM

But they do all share a similar clientele base and have to cater to that clientele.

And, in the case of the best-selling import-brand cars in the U.S., that same clientele is Americans. It's not like a Malibu is designed for Americans and a Camry is designed for Japanese people.

hotrodalex

I can't imagine her driving my car then. :lol:

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on November 08, 2014, 01:27:29 PM
And, in the case of the best-selling import-brand cars in the U.S., that same clientele is Americans. It's not like a Malibu is designed for Americans and a Camry is designed for Japanese people.

Nor does that mean the clientele demands aren't the same in key areas from market to narket

Galaxy

You need to so this then...

... to increase her psychological advantage.  :lol: