DIY Adventures - 2008 Jeep Wrangler U-Joints

Started by Pancor, November 04, 2014, 11:50:41 AM

Pancor

I know there's probably more interest in stuff like this on make-specific forums, but I thought I'd start sharing some of my DIY projects here, and become a more active member  :cheers:

So the Jeep is my fiance's, and she's had it longer than she's had me.   Its 7 years old, but only has about 70,000 kms on it, and I'm just now trying to catch up on the maintenance.     I found a loose, squeaky u joint on the front axle (Dana 30), and figured I'd better get that fixed before the snow flies!

First I removed the wheel and brakes, and removed the axle nut.    I also unclipped the wheel speed sensor harness from the brake line, so I have some slack to move the bearing around once it comes out.  Ideally, I'd completely remove the sensor from the hub bearing, but I've learned the hard way in the past that these things are very fragile, and incredibly expensive for some vehicles!

Then I removed the three bolts holding the hub bearing onto the knuckle.

I don't know if the moron works for Dana or Chrysler, but whoever spec'd bolts with 13mm 12-point heads on them, is a fucking idiot!  If I had known they'd be this bad, I would have ordered new ones, or possibly even replaced them with hex-heads.

Next I pulled out the hub-bearing, and slid out the axle shaft.   

On the u-joint, there a circlip on each leg, holding it into the yoke.  You'd never guess that from looking at pile of rust in the first pic, but its there!      I eventually got them off with some penetrating oil and a punch.

Then, I pounded the u-joint through one way, removed the cap, then went the opposite way to separate the yokes. 

And there's your problem!

Installation from here was basically reverse of previous, making sure the clean everything up nice, and apply lots of grease and anti-seize compound where necessary.

Looking back on this job, I really just should have done ball joints and wheel bearings at the same time, which probably would have guaranteed never getting this deep into the front axle ever again.    Oh well, right?   I'm just glad the steering is smooth and quiet again!

hotrodalex

Lol yeah those bolts would have been tossed in the trash if I did it.

FoMoJo

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Pancor

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 04, 2014, 02:07:44 PM
So, how long did it take?

Hard to say, I did it on a day off and spent plenty of time with a coffee mug in my hand.  1.5-2 hours per side?     On a less rusty vehicle and at a quicker pace, it could definitely be done in less than an hour per side.   

FoMoJo

I wouldn't have expected that the axle shafts would be so rusty.

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

I remember when U-joints had zerk fittings so they would never have to get so rusty and squeaky. I don't see any on that one. I don't see any on most things made in the last ten years.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 04, 2014, 07:30:10 PM
I remember when U-joints had zerk fittings so they would never have to get so rusty and squeaky. I don't see any on that one. I don't see any on most things made in the last ten years.

If any did, I would suspect the Wrangler with its old school solid axles to be one of them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Pancor

I found a lot of debate on sealed vs greasable joints, and it seems a modern sealed joint has no disadvantage over one with a grease nipple.   Since this truck should be long gone before these need to be replaced again, I figured I'd take my chances with some good Moog sealed units. :praise:  That being said, on my Nissan there are four Spicer greasable joints, which I hit up with the grease gun  every time I change the oil.   Two of them have almost 100,000 km's on them, are and as tight as new.   

Pancor

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 04, 2014, 03:10:36 PM
I wouldn't have expected that the axle shafts would be so rusty.

No kidding!