Time for a new car, sadly, they all kinda suck.

Started by GoCougs, November 11, 2014, 08:05:40 PM

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on November 12, 2014, 06:23:49 AM
I sort of agree with Cougs on this and its why I still drive my now 11yr old RX8... Just nothing new even gets me excited - especially in the 4 seat category

I agree too. Really the only things on the market I like are the GTI, A3/S3, A4/S4, and the WRX.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 12, 2014, 07:17:46 PM
Hey Cougs, have you ever changed your point of view on anything based or even motivated by a Spinner in the history of the Internet?

Just get the S4.

If you read closely however I was not looking for advice ;).

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on November 13, 2014, 10:51:45 AM
Rumor is it will shortly have M/T option.

I really like subtlety of the Zeta sedans (vs. something like the SRT-8 cars) but I need AWD.

Nah, the low rent, plebian, malibu-esque front end on the SS makes it clearly a car for Betas.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on November 13, 2014, 07:38:29 PM
Nah, the low rent, plebian, malibu-esque front end on the SS makes it clearly a car for Betas.

Nah, betas need to front (pun intended) to make their point. Alphas just go about their business.

Onslaught

If something happened to my RX-8 and she was totaled then there's nothing out there I would buy now. Not one car made by any car makers that cost less the $50K interests me. Not one damn car.

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on November 14, 2014, 04:41:07 AM
If something happened to my RX-8 and she was totaled then there's nothing out there I would buy now. Not one car made by any car makers that cost less the $50K interests me. Not one damn car.

I'd find a used Lotus Exige I think
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on November 13, 2014, 09:20:49 PM
Nah, betas need to front (pun intended) to make their point. Alphas just go about their business.

Nope, betas need to hide in the crowd, a true alpha makes sure everyone knows their alpha status, a constant throughout the animal kingdom. Alphas are loud and proud because they have to be. Weakness begets challenge.

SJ_GTI

I don't think I could go through life being that picky.

I enjoy driving all different types of cars. I certainly have my preferences, but would rather be able to drive around in a Chevy Aveo than not be able to drive at all. That being said, I can think of dozens of interesting (and fun) new cars below 50k.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Onslaught

There is nothing out now I like. Nothing.

Now because I'm not in love with anything out there I'm not saying I hate everything. Most of them I have zero feelings for. I don't even notice them going down the road.

Could I drive a Mazda6 or Honda civic everyday to work and other places? Sure I could. Would I look forward to the drive or give a shit about the car? Not so much.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Onslaught on November 14, 2014, 08:18:53 AM
There is nothing out now I like. Nothing.

Now because I'm not in love with anything out there I'm not saying I hate everything. Most of them I have zero feelings for. I don't even notice them going down the road.

Could I drive a Mazda6 or Honda civic everyday to work and other places? Sure I could. Would I look forward to the drive or give a shit about the car? Not so much.

I completely understand what you are saying, I just don't have the same feeling.

If someone showed up in my office right now and offered me a chance to go test drive a:

Civic SI, GTI, Focus ST, FIesta ST, Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, 3-series, 2-series, A3, A5, etc....

I would be excited and would jump at the chance. I enjoy driving cars. All different types of cars. I have certain things I prefer over others (ie: manual transmissions, RWD/AWD vs FWD), but I would still enjoy driving most cars approaching "fun to drive" in one aspect or another.  :huh:

Maybe I am just easily entertained.  :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on November 14, 2014, 06:19:27 AM
Nope, betas need to hide in the crowd, a true alpha makes sure everyone knows their alpha status, a constant throughout the animal kingdom. Alphas are loud and proud because they have to be. Weakness begets challenge.

Actually, not at all. That is the beta's interpretation of what an alpha is, because the beta has no context or experience, and has no choice but to make stuff up based on what he remembers from high school or what he sees on NatGeo.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Onslaught

Perhaps it because I'm inside most of these cars everyday I just no longer care.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on November 14, 2014, 08:41:08 AM
Cougs test drive an awd XF.

No way I'd ever own an English car (though many of the new Jags do look hot).

SVT666

Cougs is irrational when it comes to country of origin. He won't buy anything from the WWII allies...just their enemies.

FlatBlackCaddy

Sounds like a personal problem, a pretty sad one at that.

You should clean out your wallet more often, you would have noticed your enthusiast card expired years ago.  :mask:

Laconian

I'd totally drive a Mazda2 or some other FWD hatch if I wasn't particular about not having a roof.

Maybe I'll make the switch to fixed roof once my scalp is fully aerated (hopefully that takes a good long time).
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 14, 2014, 10:05:15 AM
Sounds like a personal problem, a pretty sad one at that.

You should clean out your wallet more often, you would have noticed your enthusiast card expired years ago.  :mask:
lots of used cars I'd want. Nothing new.

Payman

I do see where Josh is coming from. There's really nothing in my price range (<40k) that really interests me. The closest ones might be the new Miata, the Abarth 500, and Golf GTI. Now, in used cars for that scratch we get the Boxster/Cayman or an older 911.

Onslaught

Let's look at what the cars I'm interested in the past have.

RWD- a must for me

V6 and up. Or rotary.

5 or 6 speed with short throws.

Handling is more important then power.

I prefer cars made in Japan for the most part.

Looking at that please tell me what's out there other then the 370Z?
And sure, I'm limiting myself. But I never claimed to be a huge enthusiast.
It's also why I keep what cars I do like for so long. Nothing to replace them with.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on November 14, 2014, 11:11:18 AM
I'd totally drive a Mazda2 or some other FWD hatch if I wasn't particular about not having a roof.

Maybe I'll make the switch to fixed roof once my scalp is fully aerated (hopefully that takes a good long time).

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 14, 2014, 12:08:14 PM
:wub: :wub: :wub:

See, even then I'd want a 2 door manual with the same options I can get with a 4 door auto.

Char

Quote from: Raza  on November 13, 2014, 06:18:22 PM
I agree too. Really the only things on the market I like are the GTI, A3/S3, A4/S4, and the WRX.

:rofl: what a tool. FWD economy cars with shit powertrains, undefeatable stability control and horrid quality.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on November 13, 2014, 12:04:01 PM
The new Accord is drool worthy, I LOVE it.
You are really something special lmao.

I second the VWAG product nominations. I am probably going to test drive an MKV GTI this weekend if time permits. Let's see, that will make

- dude with the diesel Beetle
- Tave
- Cougs
- dazzleman
- me (wifey's Rabbit)

who have bought, and enjoy VWAG products in the last year. Not to mention SJ_GTI and Raza aka Mr. "A TT is a worthy alternative to a 350Z" for VWAG owners/endorsers.

Me thinks you may be on the wrong board friend. There are plenty of BMW boards to pray for single digit WHP gains on four figure mods and do meetups for the weekly water pump changes  :pee:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Char

Quote from: Onslaught on November 14, 2014, 11:51:25 AM

RWD- a must for me

V6 and up. Or rotary.

It's also why I keep what cars I do like for so long. Nothing to replace them with.

BMW M235i (Si-R Type R) Yeah, it kinda looks like a civic, but this is as good as it gets from Germany for the type of car your looking for.

Honda Accord/Mazda 6 V6 - I don't think they come in manual, and they are FWD, but they look NICE. I'm actually in love with the new Accord, it's my favorite design since the 1998-2002 6th Generation (or TSX Euro Accord)

Infiniti G37 Coupe, the last RWD VQ coupe you can have in a manual. The Q50 is automatic only.

... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Onslaught on November 14, 2014, 11:51:25 AM

RWD- a must for me

V6 and up. Or rotary.

You only need to look beyond Japan and there are several choices. M235i / 228i, Mustang, etc.

I understand the RX-8 is special however because of the weight + powertrain uniqueness. Keep it forever.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Char

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 14, 2014, 12:50:34 PM
You are really something special lmao.

I second the VWAG product nominations. I am probably going to test drive an MKV GTI this weekend if time permits. Let's see, that will make

- dude with the diesel Beetle
- Tave
- Cougs
- dazzleman
- me (wifey's Rabbit)

who have bought, and enjoy VWAG products in the last year. Not to mention SJ_GTI and Raza aka Mr. "A TT is a worthy alternative to a 350Z" for VWAG owners/endorsers.

Me thinks you may be on the wrong board friend. There are plenty of BMW boards to pray for single digit WHP gains on four figure mods and do meetups for the weekly water pump changes  :pee:
not my problem you like shitty cars.  :huh:
Have fun with your carbon build up, camshaft bearing wear, electrical issues, fading displays, fading paint, other misc problems while you struggle to put down meaniful power from a small as turbo to the front wheels.
LOL @ Raza reference - dude couldn't tell you anything about a decent cars because VAGs balls are blocking his vision.