"The Sports Car Is Dead"- BMW head of sales

Started by 12,000 RPM, November 17, 2014, 01:28:03 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT666 on November 22, 2014, 08:09:10 PM
What do you think happens when you add stiffness, refinement, more power and more safety features?  Shit gets heavier.

False, it doesn't have to get heavier. It just gets heavier because nobody cares and they aren't going to be bothered with spending the time to not add a crap ton of weight.

Mazda manages, Porsche does just fine as well. I'm sure though for cost reasons the porsche remark will be dismissed but if mazda could do it anyone could. Ford sure as hell could have kept the new mustang within 100 lbs of the last one. But they didn't have to because people buy fat camaros and people will just keep buying fat(er) mustangs.

12,000 RPM

Not really fair to compare the Rustang with the Miata/Porsches.

Rustang got a 30% boost in power over the same period the 911 got like a 10 HP boost. Plus the IRS adds weight, as does the refinement necessary to convince anyone to buy it in Europe.

Cobra IRS on the old ones add weight, and the older the cars the more they benefit from chassis reinforcement. I do think it's a real shame that the Rustang is damn near 2 tons in GT trim now, but ultimately something's gotta give- Porsche can keep its weight down because it can charge out the ass and employ aluminum parts; Miata can keep its weight down because it doesn't have to have the strength necessary to deal with 600 HP V8s.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on November 25, 2014, 07:45:55 PM
How are waffle fries made

Install a potato inside of a differential and drift a lap of the Chik-Fil-A parking lot.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no