Ford Releases 2015 F150 mileage numbers.

Started by Byteme, November 21, 2014, 12:30:08 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 22, 2014, 10:43:13 AM
I've seen it mentioned in a few articles.  Generally speaking, it takes more energy to plastically deform aluminum than steel.  It takes nearly 4x the energy per unit volume to deform 6061-T6 than it does a Grade 36 steel.

Are those the materials were dealing with though? It's been m experience that the exact opposite is true when talking about body panels; and then there's the repair cost...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 22, 2014, 11:30:01 AM
I'd prefer the V8 myself, but 150,000 miles is 240,000 kilometres.  Would you keep it that long?  Also, based on the torture testing they did with the 3.5 EcoBoost...simulated 150,000 miles, work in a lumber camp dragging logs, pulling 2 NASCAR cars on a trailer around Miami Speedway for 24 hours averaging 82 mph, a towing contest where it beat both Silverado and Ram Hemi in an uphill towing contest, ran the Baja finishing 1st in the Stock Engine Class, dyno-ed the engine where it produced 364HP and 420ft-lb TQ, then did a complete tear-down where Visual inspection of the turbos, heads, pistons/rings, rod bearings and cylinder walls were within spec...http://www.full-race.com/articles/what-is-ecoboost.html.

Sounds like the turbos were still good for another 150,000 miles.

The impressive thing about the V6 Ecoboost in the F150, is that so much torque is available almost immediately.  Might be worth checking out when considering a pick-up.

Lots of people are now keeping their vehicles for over 200,000 miles; especially trucks. And those that don't are likely to be concerned with he resale value, which a blown out turbo is going to have a detrimental effect on.

But, there's no hard and fast rule about how long they'll last either. It could be these are better units than is expected.

Any engineer that does these things will tell you though; the wear that happens during torture testing is a different animal than what happens over the years of ownership.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 22, 2014, 12:34:06 PM
Lots of people are now keeping their vehicles for over 200,000 miles; especially trucks. And those that don't are likely to be concerned with he resale value, which a blown out turbo is going to have a detrimental effect on.

But, there's no hard and fast rule about how long they'll last either. It could be these are better units than is expected.

Any engineer that does these things will tell you though; the wear that happens during torture testing is a different animal than what happens over the years of ownership.
Undoubtedly true.  However, since they've been in production from 2009, there must be a lot of them out there with pretty high mileage and, if there was a problem with the turbos wearing out, there'd be a lot more squawking on the web than can now be found.  Ford put out a number of 150k, but it would be "at least".
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Need a factory system to cool the turbos after shutdown. DUH.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 22, 2014, 12:57:12 PM
Need a factory system to cool the turbos after shutdown. DUH.
Turbos (bearings) are water/coolant cooled as well as designed for convection flow through the bearings after shutdown.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 22, 2014, 01:04:29 PM
Turbos (bearings) are water/coolant cooled as well as designed for convection flow through the bearings after shutdown.

Right, but how far does that get it? Oil coking can still occur if it is just sitting there in the heat.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 22, 2014, 01:10:52 PM
Right, but how far does that get it? Oil coking can still occur if it is just sitting there in the heat.
With the engine off?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 22, 2014, 01:34:26 PM
With the engine off?

Right. I'm sure some engineer figured an adequate rate of heat transfer from the bearings, but it is not instantaneous. The real problem will be owners who tend to shut down quickly after driving hard and/or cheap out and use conventional oil. That kind of abuse is not tolerated well by turbos.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on November 22, 2014, 08:10:26 AM
I would take an 8 over a T6 too. When the Explorer kicks the bucket, I will be getting a 4 door pickup to replace it, and there is no way I will be buying an EcoBoost, for the simple reason that I will be buying used, and that turbo has to be replaced at 150K.
Do u typically keep cars for 150K miles

Let the next sucker deal with that.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

ifcar

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 22, 2014, 12:54:44 PM
Undoubtedly true.  However, since they've been in production from 2009, there must be a lot of them out there with pretty high mileage and, if there was a problem with the turbos wearing out, there'd be a lot more squawking on the web than can now be found.  Ford put out a number of 150k, but it would be "at least".

Only since 2011 in a heavy-duty use like the F-150, though. A Taurus isn't going to put quite the same pressures on it.

SVT666

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 22, 2014, 11:30:01 AM
I'd prefer the V8 myself, but 150,000 miles is 240,000 kilometres.  Would you keep it that long?  Also, based on the torture testing they did with the 3.5 EcoBoost...simulated 150,000 miles, work in a lumber camp dragging logs, pulling 2 NASCAR cars on a trailer around Miami Speedway for 24 hours averaging 82 mph, a towing contest where it beat both Silverado and Ram Hemi in an uphill towing contest, ran the Baja finishing 1st in the Stock Engine Class, dyno-ed the engine where it produced 364HP and 420ft-lb TQ, then did a complete tear-down where Visual inspection of the turbos, heads, pistons/rings, rod bearings and cylinder walls were within spec...http://www.full-race.com/articles/what-is-ecoboost.html.

Sounds like the turbos were still good for another 150,000 miles.

The impressive thing about the V6 Ecoboost in the F150, is that so much torque is available almost immediately.  Might be worth checking out when considering a pick-up.
I would definitely be keeping it that long.  My Explorer is at 190,000 km right now and I will be retiring it to towing only/bad weather duty in a year or two when it hits 225K or so.  At that point I will get myself something sporty and fun with a back seat. When the Explorer kicks the bucket, I will replace it with a higher mileage pickup.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 22, 2014, 12:29:54 PM
Are those the materials were dealing with though? It's been m experience that the exact opposite is true when talking about body panels; and then there's the repair cost...

I'm not sure what steel alloy is used for body panels.  A co-worker used to work in GM's sheetmetal design group, I'll have to ask him Monday.  30-36 ksi is a pretty typical grade for most steel applications, though.  IIRC, Ford is using 6061 for the F-150, though I'm not sure what temper.  I would guess T4, but it might be T6.  Depends on if they heat treat it before or after forming, since 6061 is notoriously difficult to form at the T6 temper.  If you want T6 on a formed part, your best bet is to form it in the O temper and then heat treat it up to T6 after forming.  And if you're going to heat treat post-forming anyway, you may as well go for T6.

The trouble with aluminum is that with many alloys and tempers, if it does dent it's very difficult to pull/pound the dent out.  Often it will crack (T6 as well as work-hardened alloys like 5000 series).  And welding can be a bitch since weld shrinkage on aluminum is far worse than on steel.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Reynolds wrap. Good enough for space ships, good enough for trucks.