Choices

Started by CALL_911, November 22, 2014, 03:59:27 PM

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 28, 2014, 01:55:26 PM
They haven't looked good in years. Last gen may have been the ugliest

Last gen was bland in hatch form to ugly/bland in the pre-fender-flared sedans.  Post fender flares, it was OK-looking.  This new one is just ugly.  I think it would look a lot better as a hatch, since the proportions of the Impreza, like the last model, seem to indicate it was designed as a hatch first and then turned into a sedan.  The back half of the car, in particular, is just not good.  The rear wheels look too small because there's way too much sheet metal between the top of the wheel arch and the beltline.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on November 29, 2014, 10:41:27 AM
Last gen was bland in hatch form to ugly/bland in the pre-fender-flared sedans.  Post fender flares, it was OK-looking.  This new one is just ugly.  I think it would look a lot better as a hatch, since the proportions of the Impreza, like the last model, seem to indicate it was designed as a hatch first and then turned into a sedan.  The back half of the car, in particular, is just not good.  The rear wheels look too small because there's way too much sheet metal between the top of the wheel arch and the beltline.

Agreed.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

I've warmed to the 2015. It looks terribly proportioned in pictures, but imo it works in real life.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

2015 WRX looks so much better on 18s it's kind of ridiculous. 19s are even better. And the STI wing is a must too.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 30, 2014, 12:39:14 AM
I've warmed to the 2015. It looks terribly proportioned in pictures, but imo it works in real life.

I still find the back half awful in person, though the front is better in person than in photos.  Though beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

All these cars are mediocre snow vehicles because they have no clearance, which means any snowfall deep enough to fuck with your GTI is going to fuck with the other two as well.

If we're going to nitpick the WRX is the best winter option, followed by the GTI, and then the S5.

Keep the GTI or take the 535x if you're actually that worried about the snow. If you want the S5, then get it. It's by far the best/coolest option out of the ones you listed.

But don't be an idiot, there's nothing foul-weather practical about a 350hp V8 stuffed inside a little car, AWD or not.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Bigger engine = more engine braking

2o6

Quote from: Tave on December 05, 2014, 06:17:54 AM
All these cars are mediocre snow vehicles because they have no clearance, which means any snowfall deep enough to fuck with your GTI is going to fuck with the other two as well.

If we're going to nitpick the WRX is the best winter option, followed by the GTI, and then the S5.

Keep the GTI or take the 535x if you're actually that worried about the snow. If you want the S5, then get it. It's by far the best/coolest option out of the ones you listed.

But don't be an idiot, there's nothing foul-weather practical about a 350hp V8 stuffed inside a little car, AWD or not.

That too.

When the roads are dry after the plows clear it, it'll be just fine on the roads with a 2WD car.

MX793

The roads in Syracuse frequently have a thin layer (.5 to up to 2 inches) of dense, greasy snow.  The consistency is slushier than snow, but dryer than real slush, and it cakes in tires.  It's in these conditions where AWD is a definite benefit.  Particularly in the hilly areas (where all of the hospitals are).  It's not really a depth/ground clearance issue.  You can get by with 2WD and snow tires OK (or even aggressive all-seasons), but its much easier with AWD.  They generally do a good job of clearing the roads, but it frequently snows too heavily for the plows to keep up and keep the roads bare.  I also think they may intentionally leave some snow (slurried with sand and salt) on the roads because then you don't need to worry about black ice.
Needs more Jiggawatts

68_427

Ground clearance only ever becomes an issue when the snow is up to the headlights.  Which is almost never.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

There is nothing wrong with the GTI. With that said, I do not want to fuck around with getting stranded on my 3rd-4th year rotations, and within reason, the replacement would not be a financial burden.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: 68_427 on December 05, 2014, 01:38:35 PM
Ground clearance only ever becomes an issue when the snow is up to the headlights.  Which is almost never.

As long as the snow isn't packed, yeah, you can drive through pretty deep snow without worry for lack of ground clearance.  I drove my Mazda through snow up to the rockers over a stretch of several hundred feet (with all-season tires) with surprisingly little difficulty.
Needs more Jiggawatts

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

What is this thing snow?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

68_427

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 05, 2014, 05:22:31 PM
What is this thing snow?

It's a magical substance that makes any mundane car more fun.
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

CALL_911 Im so glad you got into med school dude. Seriously

CALL_911

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 05, 2014, 05:30:42 PM
CALL_911 Im so glad you got into med school dude. Seriously

Haha I gotta ask what brought that about, but thanks a lot man. I really appreciate that.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

veeman

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 05, 2014, 03:16:42 PM
There is nothing wrong with the GTI. With that said, I do not want to fuck around with getting stranded on my 3rd-4th year rotations, and within reason, the replacement would not be a financial burden.

Isn't what you mean to say: There is nothing wrong with the GTI. With that said, I do not want to fuck around with dealing with my parents calling me every evening to make sure I'm not stranded on the road since I don't have an AWD car.

:lol:

veeman

by the way, congrats on Med School

CALL_911

Quote from: veeman on December 05, 2014, 11:09:27 PM
Isn't what you mean to say: There is nothing wrong with the GTI. With that said, I do not want to fuck around with dealing with my parents calling me every evening to make sure I'm not stranded on the road since I don't have an AWD car.

:lol:

While that may be true as well, I suspect there's a good chance I'm in a climate like Syracuse's for longer than medical school. I'm also with this.

Quote from: veeman on December 05, 2014, 11:10:40 PM
by the way, congrats on Med School

Thanks man. I appreciate the support and good wishes of everyone here, you guys have no idea how much I mean that.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 05, 2014, 05:34:37 PM
Haha I gotta ask what brought that about, but thanks a lot man. I really appreciate that.
U just seem less stressed out. Plus I like non-sequtirs, I think I mentioned my engagement in a similar way

CALL_911

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 08, 2014, 10:49:36 AM
U just seem less stressed out. Plus I like non-sequtirs, I think I mentioned my engagement in a similar way

You wouldn't be wrong, a huge weight was lifted off my back. Amazing how that shows over the internet too

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on December 05, 2014, 09:57:39 AM
The roads in Syracuse frequently have a thin layer (.5 to up to 2 inches) of dense, greasy snow.  The consistency is slushier than snow, but dryer than real slush, and it cakes in tires.  It's in these conditions where AWD is a definite benefit.  Particularly in the hilly areas (where all of the hospitals are).  It's not really a depth/ground clearance issue.  You can get by with 2WD and snow tires OK (or even aggressive all-seasons), but its much easier with AWD.  They generally do a good job of clearing the roads, but it frequently snows too heavily for the plows to keep up and keep the roads bare.  I also think they may intentionally leave some snow (slurried with sand and salt) on the roads because then you don't need to worry about black ice.

Eh-seems like too many variables at play here. If we were comparing an A4fwd to an A4quattro, sure, that's a clear improvement. But comparing a really competent, short, square-wheelbase, fwd compact like the GTi to a 350-hp V8 quattro--I mean who's to tell? Like I said, the WRX or 535 seem like the much better options to me, although both are less than ideal.

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 05, 2014, 03:16:42 PM

If you are actually worried about it, you should get something that isn't going to create additional foul-weather problems of its own.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

Quote from: 68_427 on December 05, 2014, 01:38:35 PM

Syracuse receives more snow than any city (pop > 50,000) in the nation. From what I understand, they get it in huge dumps too, with 1-2 foot snowfalls being very common.

I mean, a Lamborghini is AWD, so it must be great in the snow right?

MX793

Quote from: Tave on December 11, 2014, 06:04:41 AM
Syracuse receives more snow than any city (pop > 50,000) in the nation. From what I understand, they get it in huge dumps too, with 1-2 foot snowfalls being very common.

I mean, a Lamborghini is AWD, so it must be great in the snow right?

Actually, Syracuse gets a lot of snow dropped in frequent, small doses (1-3") with the ocassional foot+ snow storm thrown in here or there.  Many of the multi-foot snowfall events in Syracuse actually take place over a couple of days.  I can only recall two storms that dropped over 18" in a single day in the past 15 years.

The DPW is generally pretty good about keeping up with the snowfall.  The Syracuse area got nearly a foot yesterday, but the major streets generally didn't have more than 2" on them because the plows run throughout the day.  The roads were slick, but ground clearance was a non-issue.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on December 11, 2014, 12:16:44 PM
Actually, Syracuse gets a lot of snow dropped in frequent, small doses (1-3") with the ocassional foot+ snow storm thrown in here or there.  Many of the multi-foot snowfall events in Syracuse actually take place over a couple of days.  I can only recall two storms that dropped over 18" in a single day in the past 15 years.

The DPW is generally pretty good about keeping up with the snowfall.  The Syracuse area got nearly a foot yesterday, but the major streets generally didn't have more than 2" on them because the plows run throughout the day.  The roads were slick, but ground clearance was a non-issue.

Lol, well then denial isn't just a river in Egypt. :lol: I didn't mean to imply that your streets were perpetually snow-locked. Obviously they plow the city. Just saying, if the kid is worried about getting to the hospital in an emergency situation, that's the kind of storms y'all get, no bueno?

And again, I think the S5 would be fine.

68_427

I guess Ro needs this then huh

'racecar is die'
no

Tave

68_427

Those are crap in the snow
'racecar is die'
no

Tave