What are Toyota designers smoking???

Started by Payman, November 29, 2014, 04:26:48 AM

Payman

Toyota Mirai, their new hydrogen, um, car.  :confused:

Now excuse me while I Javex my eyes...

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Remove the Toyota badge and I would have mistaken it for something from Ssangyong!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CALL_911

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 29, 2014, 06:17:30 AM
Looks like the Dink's car on Doug

I don't even know what the Dink's car looks like, but that's hilarious

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

I think it's interesting.

I didn't say good.

But interesting.

It looks super sci-fi, and that's clearly the market they're going for

FlatBlackCaddy

FlatBlackCaddy

Looking at it again(sadly), it looks like it has got to be for the chinese market. Way too much mish mash and garbage design elements thrown together for it to be seen any place other than chinese streets or underneath the big top.

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on November 29, 2014, 09:14:14 AM

It looks super sci-fi, and that's clearly the market they're going for

The i8 looks sci-fi. Now, many also consider the i8 to be a bit homely looking but nothing on the scale that Toyota did here.

FoMoJo

The designers grew up watching too much Anime :nutty:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Looks like a really low-budget scifi car.  Like somebody took a Corolla and tacked a bunch of Cylon-inspired grilles and openings on it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

It looks like a failed Prius or Corolla prototype from 10 years ago, there's nothing futuristic about it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Submariner

It's like they took a Japanese mainstream sedan from the late 90's and said "tack on some really crazy bits to spice it up!"  It's a seriously disjointed design that manages to be both bland and overkill at the same time.  What an accomplishment. 

Toyota and especially Lexus need to quit with the gaping mouth they're slapping on their lineup.  Take for example the LS 460, which was an elegant, if a bit bland, sedan before the facelift, only to be ruined by the totally out of place facia it has now.  It won't age well at all. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

AutobahnSHO

this one is closer

Darth Vader is at least cool. This car is dorky.
Will

Atomic

Agreed!

Another car? The MY15 Toyota Camry does not strike me as being all that more attractive -- still, nothing compared to this all new oddly styled Toyota. The 2015 Camry is certainly not an ugly car. There are merely a few minor annoyances like the molded plastic on the window area of the C-pillar that cheapens the sedan's profile. All-in-all, it will make little to no difference for the vast majority of Toyota loyalists and should keep it selling in very large numbers. Mission accomplished there from what they set out to do. I cannot see many jumping ship to get into one. Toyota does not necessarily need those Honda Accord, Kia Optima, Hyundai Sonata owners but if priced right, it might steal more Altima owners awaiting for its next refreshening. I am only speculating here because each of these midsized cars and the Ford Fusion have a loyal group of followers.   

MaxPower

I saw this car when I was picking up take-out a few weeks ago.  Toyota had parked it on the street - there was a tech convention in town so I'm guessing they were showing it off.  It was dusk and it took me a minute to realize it wasn't a Corolla with lots of LEDs.  Very underwhelming despite the attempt.