Ran a red light

Started by Morris Minor, December 10, 2014, 02:07:33 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 13, 2014, 08:42:51 AM
I'd like to see them replaced with roundabouts where feasible. I don't subscribe to the school of thought that American drivers, uniquely in the world, are too stupid to use them.
Small traffic circles should work in many cases.  The impediment in the centre would make most drivers aware that they need to, at least, slow down.  A bunch of flashing lights would, likely, be needed as well.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 13, 2014, 05:08:54 AM
Stop sign & red light controlled intersections are inherently a dangerous way to control traffic.

Stuff it, crumpet-stuffer, we won the war.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

About once a month I do something similar, esp. near my primary client, that has absolutely awful intersections (and drivers), primary sins of which is misaligned lights and worn out lane markers (to be fair I'm  also often enthralled in my latest podcast binge).

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 13, 2014, 05:08:54 AM
Stop sign & red light controlled intersections are inherently a dangerous way to control traffic.

Absolutely, esp. for pedestrians. I see close calls every day this time of year what with it being dark and wet so often.

Like any real red-blooded American I hate most anything new or different and traffic circles were no different but now I think they're the best thing ever. The multi-lane circles are not intuitive though (had to Google how to drive 'em actually).

Galaxy

Apropos red lights and stop signs:

One thing that bothers me a bit in North America is that the traffic lights are behind the intersections. Yes I know that the drivers at the front have to strain their neck less, but the problem is that this forces left turning drivers to run through the red light of the cross traffic. And that seems to break a fundamental principle that you never, ever run through a red light. I am not a fan of being able to make a right turn at a red light for the same reason.

Also, I noticed that often in North America, when I come to an intersection only after slowing down and coming close do I see that cross traffic has a stop sign. In Europe I would have a right of way sign that one can see from a distance. I think the US technically does have the yellow diamond as an official traffic sign, but they do not seem to use it. In North America, if one has no stop sign, no yield sign, does that always mean I can go, go, go, go, go?

ANd I second that  roundabout are generally a good thing, but that multi lane ones are a bad thing.

SVT_Power

Quote from: MaxPower on December 13, 2014, 07:54:01 AM
C'est le vie.  Not the first for me, won't be the last, and it's part of the job.

C'est la vie
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Quote from: Galaxy on December 13, 2014, 11:11:19 AM

One thing that bothers me a bit in North America is that the traffic lights are behind the intersections. Yes I know that the drivers at the front have to strain their neck less, but the problem is that this forces left turning drivers to run through the red light of the cross traffic. And that seems to break a fundamental principle that you never, ever run through a red light. I am not a fan of being able to make a right turn at a red light for the same reason.

Also, I noticed that often in North America, when I come to an intersection only after slowing down and coming close do I see that cross traffic has a stop sign. In Europe I would have a right of way sign that one can see from a distance. I think the US technically does have the yellow diamond as an official traffic sign, but they do not seem to use it. In North America, if one has no stop sign, no yield sign, does that always mean I can go, go, go, go, go?

ANd I second that  roundabout are generally a good thing, but that multi lane ones are a bad thing.

No sign for either intersection means four-way yield, I think. Might mean four-way stop, but I never do that. :lol: IMO, uncontrolled intersections are stupid, but in my neighborhood, they put up stop signs at uncontrolled intersections when they should have put up yield signs. I prefer the uncontrolled, personally.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

I don't think rotaries can really handle the level of traffic at major intersections of multi-lane roads.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Byteme

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 13, 2014, 08:50:54 AM
Observations seem to prove otherwise, sadly.

The roundabout is a superior form of traffic control for most intersections.

No room for them in many urban locations.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on December 13, 2014, 11:11:19 AM

Traffic light placement isn't universal. Some are closer to the front of the intersection.

As far as your question goes; usually yes, but not always. In more rural areas uncontrolled intersections are pretty common; and those are four way yields.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Another problem with stop lights and stop signs is that you are supposed to stop even if there's no need to do so.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rich

The left front tire wear has increased because of my roundabout use  :devil:

About 2x the wear
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 14, 2014, 09:59:36 AM

About 2x the wear

You must be going pretty fast around the roundabout... :rockon:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rich

Late night tend to be a series of chicanes of empty roundabouts.

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 14, 2014, 10:09:58 AM
Late night tend to be a series of chicanes of empty roundabouts.

Must be fun to whip around them when there isn't much traffic.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 14, 2014, 09:59:36 AM

About 2x the wear

Running too much toe out?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rich

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 14, 2014, 11:48:01 AM
too many right turn Gs

Any more camera tickets, Rich?  Have you got a collection going yet?  :devil:

Rich

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 14, 2014, 12:02:29 PM
Not in Afghanistan, no :praise:

WTF man, how did I miss that?  Back in Afghanistan?  Stay safe, buddy.

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on December 13, 2014, 01:03:12 PM
I don't think rotaries can really handle the level of traffic at major intersections of multi-lane roads.

I don't think roundabouts were ever designed to accommodate more than maybe 4 lanes of traffic and even then it becomes a little bit of a mess.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Roundabouts, aka chicanes. Love 'em.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

This sounds bad but I honestly run the same few red lights every morning to work.

CALL_911

I saw this same exact thing happen right next to me today

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 14, 2014, 01:55:56 AM
As far as your question goes; usually yes, but not always. In more rural areas uncontrolled intersections are pretty common; and those are four way yields.

So when one approches an intersection in the US, there is no way to really tell what the situation will be like?

Also, don't many US states technically have right before left, at uncontrolled intersections. The law is just not enforced?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Galaxy on December 18, 2014, 11:32:01 AM
So when one approches an intersection in the US, there is no way to really tell what the situation will be like?

Also, don't many US states technically have right before left, at uncontrolled intersections. The law is just not enforced?

Correct and correct.   :lol:

In some areas people assume which street is the busiest and therefore that street the right of way. Even though the law says otherwise.
Will

hotrodalex

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 10, 2014, 08:02:57 PM
I see false starts like that all the time now- people with their noses buried in their phone see the guy next to them go so they let off the brake but look up and realize it's still red for their lane.....

Yep, happened twice in one day last summer. I ROLF'd both times.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Galaxy on December 18, 2014, 11:32:01 AM

It's rare to have 100% uncontrolled intersections unless you're in a very rural area. Normally 4-way stop if both roads are equal in size, or the smaller road will have stop signs while the larger road doesn't stop.

I do think that a "stop not necessary" sign would be nice. The streets around my apartment have many different levels of priority, with some roads having stop signs at one crossroad but not at others. Can be hard to tell if you don't have a stop sign or if you simply didn't notice one. :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 18, 2014, 10:03:46 PM
It's rare to have 100% uncontrolled intersections unless you're in a very rural area. Normally 4-way stop if both roads are equal in size, or the smaller road will have stop signs while the larger road doesn't stop.

I do think that a "stop not necessary" sign would be nice. The streets around my apartment have many different levels of priority, with some roads having stop signs at one crossroad but not at others. Can be hard to tell if you don't have a stop sign or if you simply didn't notice one. :lol:

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Will