CTS-V

Started by Rich, December 21, 2014, 11:21:32 PM

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 22, 2014, 02:31:02 PM
Its no Panamera GTS

GTS has turbos now so it's no driver's car anymore.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 22, 2014, 02:36:11 PM
The overheating issues that are an issue on the Z06 aren't as important here IMO. This car is too heavy to seriously track anyway. Like the M5.

Z06's are having issues after momentary full throttle acceleration runs.

If anything that's all most owner do in a Z06, certainly to a higher degree in a fast saloon. I don't see how it wouldn't be an equal, or greater, problem in the V.

Still, for the same price I don't see what this offers ABOVE a comparable German car. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. It would seem to me that cadillac has to offer MORE(even slightly) to win customer over. Otherwise offering the same performance, for the same price, backed by a complete lack of pedigree in a market that is somewhat driven by history, doesn't seem to be all that compelling of a sales pitch.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 22, 2014, 02:54:54 PM
Z06's are having issues after momentary full throttle acceleration runs.

If anything that's all most owner do in a Z06, certainly to a higher degree in a fast saloon. I don't see how it wouldn't be an equal, or greater, problem in the V.

Still, for the same price I don't see what this offers ABOVE a comparable German car. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. It would seem to me that cadillac has to offer MORE(even slightly) to win customer over. Otherwise offering the same performance, for the same price, backed by a complete lack of pedigree in a market that is somewhat driven by history, doesn't seem to be all that compelling of a sales pitch.

I thought the issues were only at the track. If they come up on the road it's tragic.

Here the price gap with ze Germans is already very considerable.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

68_427

GM stated all the owners have to do is break the engines in.  Have we seen anything from owners with properly broken in engines yet?
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 22, 2014, 02:57:39 PM
I thought the issues were only at the track. If they come up on the road it's tragic.
It's happening on the street too.

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on December 22, 2014, 03:04:53 PM
GM stated all the owners have to do is break the engines in.  Have we seen anything from owners with properly broken in engines yet?
GM stated 500 Miles.  An owner over at Corvette Forums has almost 900 Miles on his and it's still having that issue.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SVT666 on December 22, 2014, 03:05:11 PM
It's happening on the street too.
I guess GM thought no one would notice :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on December 22, 2014, 03:05:59 PM
GM stated 500 Miles.  An owner over at Corvette Forums has almost 900 Miles on his and it's still having that issue.
I read it was 1500 miles. 500 miles is when the dash removes the Yellow lines on the tach that keeps owners from over revving the fresh engines.......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on December 22, 2014, 03:33:49 PM
I read it was 1500 miles. 500 miles is when the dash removes the Yellow lines on the tach that keeps owners from over revving the fresh engines.......
Not too sure how valid this is...Yep, according to Corvette Forum, all that's required is about 500 miles on the odometer before the Engine Control Module stops cutting power. That simple message comes from Rocko Parker of Chevrolet Performance, so we like to think it has some credibility.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/12/to-overcome-the-z06s-power-robbing-ecu-just-break-it-in-says-chevy-follow-up/
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

GoCougs

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on December 22, 2014, 03:33:49 PM

Guys are posting pages from their manuals - it says break in is a hard 1,500 miles. It specifically says no racing or track events or performance driving schools or more than 4,000 rpm. Does the ECU nanny for 1,500 miles? I wouldn't be surprised - this carries the same warranty as a Cruze or Malibu (5 years/100,000 miles) after all...

hotrodalex

LOL you guys just love to poo-poo on everything.

This looks great. I'd take one in a heartbeat, probably over a German too. Kinda bored of the Germans.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 22, 2014, 03:45:59 PM
Not too sure how valid this is...Yep, according to Corvette Forum, all that's required is about 500 miles on the odometer before the Engine Control Module stops cutting power. That simple message comes from Rocko Parker of Chevrolet Performance, so we like to think it has some credibility.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/12/to-overcome-the-z06s-power-robbing-ecu-just-break-it-in-says-chevy-follow-up/
I posted that In the C7 thread! But all C7s have a "Limited" redline up until 500 miles. The actual full break in period is 1500 miles Like Cougs posted.
Here's a link to a pic of the Pre 500 mile Tach:
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2013/10/16/video-gm-lets-you-know-when-its-okay-to-redline-your-new-2014-corvette-stingray/
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 22, 2014, 05:03:48 PM

This looks great. I'd take one in a heartbeat, probably over a German too. Kinda bored of the Germans.
Just a bit of payback for you Chevy guys crappin' in the Mustang thread. ;)

68_427

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 22, 2014, 05:11:19 PM
Just a bit of payback for you Chevy guys crappin' in the Mustang thread. ;)

Well that is the internet's toilet
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 22, 2014, 02:24:21 PM
The Jag XF-R ain't shabby as a driver's car.

My pick in the segment... Its unapologetically badass
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 22, 2014, 05:03:48 PM

Quote from: 68_427 on December 22, 2014, 05:19:56 PM
Well that is the internet's toilet

Imagine you're a Ford guy having to hear/read all this stuff about the C7, Z06, Z/28, ZL1, CTS-V, ATS-V, etc. ;).

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on December 22, 2014, 09:39:51 AM
Read up on the Z06 problems.  It's not that it only has full power for a short blast, it's that once you have made that blast, you no longer have full power....period. And the power keeps dropping with every successive full throttle run.  You have to shut your car off and wait for it to reset itself.  This is not acceptable in any car, never mind a balls out performance car like the Z06.  Go over to Corvette Forums and you will see all kinds of discussion about it.

There is one thread where a guy talks about how his Z06 continually lost more and more power with every highway run he had against a GT-R (illegal and stupid, I know).  First run, he beats the GT-R by a car length, second: win by half a car length, third: they were tied, fourth: loss with Z06 nose at the GT-R's rear wheels, fifth: loss by a car length, sixth: loss by two car lengths, and on the seventh it was even worse, and his car had almost 900 miles on the clock, so so much for GM's "500 mile" break in explanation.

I'll grant that its maybe; maybe an issue fo rthe Z06. That car will likely see track time, or at least be bought by people who fantasize about track time with it. The Caddy is about bragging rights at the golf course. Cool car; but let's not pretend its a race car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on December 22, 2014, 05:45:04 PM
Imagine you're a Ford guy having to hear/read all this stuff about the C7, Z06, Z/28, ZL1, CTS-V, ATS-V, etc. ;).
The fun part is hearing you guys making excuses about them :lol:.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 22, 2014, 05:52:11 PM
The fun part is hearing you guys making excuses about them :lol:.

No need to excuse the lap times.

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 22, 2014, 05:59:41 PM
No need to excuse the lap times.
Wait 'til the races begin.

hotrodalex

As long as you can wait until after 1500 miles, okay. :lol:

FoMoJo

Payman

I was going to say Cadillac depreciation will make this an appealing car in 2-3 years, until I researched the asking prices of 2010-2013 CTS-Vs. Holy shit, they are mostly up in the $45-60,000 range, and holding their value better than Merc AMGs and BMW 5 series and M5s. I had no idea these cars held their value so well.

68_427

Quote from: Rockraven on December 22, 2014, 06:15:28 PM
I was going to say Cadillac depreciation will make this an appealing car in 2-3 years, until I researched the asking prices of 2010-2013 CTS-Vs. Holy shit, they are mostly up in the $45-60,000 range, and holding their value better than Merc AMGs and BMW 5 series and M5s. I had no idea these cars held their value so well.

Buy one down here
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

hotrodalex

M5's of the same year are in the mid 35s, though. Maybe not with 7k miles, but point is you don't get the crappy-brand-discount with the used Caddy V's.

Payman

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on December 22, 2014, 08:05:10 AM
Like the ATS-V, this is a bit too over the top styling-wise for me.  Give me the old CTS-V coupe, with a 6 speed manual.

A fine example of restrained design, that.

Payman

Quote from: ifcar on December 22, 2014, 07:00:45 PM
A fine example of restrained design, that.

Yeah, not over the top at all.  :lol: