How often do you change headlamp bulbs?

Started by JWC, December 29, 2014, 12:41:36 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

It's crazy how much disassembly you have to go through on some of these newer cars!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

NomisR

You have to take off the bumper to replace a headlight?  At least with my Elise, you only have to pull off the wheel and open the wheel well to get to the headlights...  what kills it is the DLR requirement means the headlights are on ALL THE TIME!

JWC

On my daughter's 07 Focus, the easiest way to replace a HL bulb is to remove the headlamp. Two bolts, unplug it, and you're done.

I ordered some cheap Phillips H7 bulbs from Amazon. I'm going to see if there is any improvement and proceed from there.

I do miss the days of $2 headlamps held in place with a retaining ring. (I also miss the days when a $19.99, 36-month battery was all you needed to keep your car cranking for five years.)

Speed_Racer

Quote from: NomisR on December 31, 2014, 02:59:01 PM
You have to take off the bumper to replace a headlight?  At least with my Elise, you only have to pull off the wheel and open the wheel well to get to the headlights...  what kills it is the DLR requirement means the headlights are on ALL THE TIME!

Unfortunately unless I had the hands of a three year old, you have to remove the HL assembly which because of how its bolted in requires you remove the bumper and some plastic engine bay cladding. It probably took 2 hours total to replace both sides.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

The problem with putting any brighter-than-stock bulb in any stock lamp is the glare it creates for other drivers. IME, most stock lamps have too much dispersed light/aren't sharply aimed/have vague beam cutoffs, and bright bulbs end up largely in the eyes of oncoming drivers. Applies to halogens as well as HIDs.

As for color temp of an HID bulb, IMO, halogens kind of have it nailed. A little yellow is good. "White" temps are often pretty blue, and as mentioned, blue is bad (on a neon "Open" sign from across the street, the red is sharp and the blue is kind of blurry-- same effect).

I have big 100W Hella halogen auxiliary lamps on my Explorer, which are great and also wired so that they go off and on with the brights. Explorer also has some Hella projector fogs, which I think are 55W, and are marginally effective. The 944 has Hella e-code lamps as a replacement for the stock sealed beams. These lamps have a very good sharp low beam cutoff, and are mounted super low relative to practically every other car on the road, so I have 90/100W halogen bulbs in them. Very effective, much like. Fog lamps on the 944 are decorative.  :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rupert on January 03, 2015, 05:32:07 PM
The problem with putting any brighter-than-stock bulb in any stock lamp is the glare it creates for other drivers. IME, most stock lamps have too much dispersed light/aren't sharply aimed/have vague beam cutoffs, and bright bulbs end up largely in the eyes of oncoming drivers. Applies to halogens as well as HIDs.
Unless you car has Projectors like mine.........

Rupert

Projectors do tend to have better light control, yes.

Assuming the lamps are good for bright bulbs, what is the advantage of an HID vs., say, a 100 W halogen? HIDs seem pretty complicated and expensive.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on January 03, 2015, 05:32:07 PM
As for color temp of an HID bulb, IMO, halogens kind of have it nailed. A little yellow is good. "White" temps are often pretty blue, and as mentioned, blue is bad (on a neon "Open" sign from across the street, the red is sharp and the blue is kind of blurry-- same effect).

I agree. A little bit of yellow seems more natural and easier on the eyes.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rupert on January 04, 2015, 12:54:26 PM

Assuming the lamps are good for bright bulbs, what is the advantage of an HID vs., say, a 100 W halogen? HIDs seem pretty complicated and expensive.
The differance is night and day! And the kits i use are around 60 bucks and they're plug and play.....

Rupert

Gotta-Qik-C7

Rupert

Is that the lamp or the bulb? It seems like a light source is just a light source and it's the lamp that puts the light in the right place.

BTW, that vid was stock halogens vs. HIDs, not something like a 100W halogen. Not to mention that video and photos are bad ways to compare headlamps.

One advantage I can see is that for a 100W halogen, you want a decently beefy wiring harness, whereas HIDs that put out similar lumens seem to be more like 35W.

JWC

Dammit...now I have to replace a bulb in the 2007 Focus. Rain=pours

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on January 05, 2015, 01:18:21 AM
Is that the lamp or the bulb? It seems like a light source is just a light source and it's the lamp that puts the light in the right place.

BTW, that vid was stock halogens vs. HIDs, not something like a 100W halogen. Not to mention that video and photos are bad ways to compare headlamps.

One advantage I can see is that for a 100W halogen, you want a decently beefy wiring harness, whereas HIDs that put out similar lumens seem to be more like 35W.

100W halogens on a 12V system would still require only about a 16 gauge wire- maybe slightly larger than many stock headlamp wires, but by no means overly large.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 06, 2015, 03:26:38 AM
100W halogens on a 12V system would still require only about a 16 gauge wire- maybe slightly larger than many stock headlamp wires, but by no means overly large.

Helps a lot if you can shorten the wiring harness.

NomisR

Quote from: Speed_Racer on January 03, 2015, 02:31:17 PM
Unfortunately unless I had the hands of a three year old, you have to remove the HL assembly which because of how its bolted in requires you remove the bumper and some plastic engine bay cladding. It probably took 2 hours total to replace both sides.

Sounds like the newer Hondas, although I just end up with scrapes on my hand trying to jam it into little alcoves using your fingers to get stuff in place.  That's why I never used bright bulbs with my RSX because of the bulb life.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 06, 2015, 03:26:38 AM

Right, larger than stock, i.e., you're doing some wiring if you're doing it right.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 06, 2015, 10:07:24 AM
Helps a lot if you can shorten the wiring harness.

If you're running so close to the melt point of a wire that voltage drop from length is a problem: shortenening the wire isnt going to solve anything.

We're not talking 200 foot runs here.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rupert on January 04, 2015, 12:54:26 PM

Def the amp draw..... 200W is kind of a lot

Bulb life is also better with HID I think though on a $/time basis it might be a wash.

I agree that lower color temps are better. I like 3500-4100K.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rupert

Makes sense if you already have good projectors or it's an easy mod, your car is fairly low, and you don't want to replace the wiring harness (because it sucks, ask me how I know), IMO.

12,000 RPM

U can do a relay if the harness sucks. Actually u probably SHOULD do a relay if the harness sucks. Even on HID, there is a high inrush current before things stabilize.

Either way though lighting is important.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

hotrodalex

Do new cars not have a relay already? I put one on my car, but I figured after 40 years it would become standard equipment.

MexicoCityM3

I don't think I have ever preventively replaced a headlamp. Only when they fail.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 09, 2015, 09:24:54 AM
Do new cars not have a relay already? I put one on my car, but I figured after 40 years it would become standard equipment.

I think so... I think the Explorer has a relay, though the wires are pretty small. I added relays to the 944 and used pretty big wire.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 09, 2015, 01:54:58 PM
I don't think I have ever preventively replaced a headlamp. Only when they fail.

I always replace both of the when one fails. So, I guess I do it about 50% of the time.

CJ

Changing a headlight on a V70 is ridiculously easy.