Do insurance companies still buy radar/lidar for police departments?

Started by Klackamas, January 01, 2015, 02:21:55 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 09, 2015, 02:33:32 PM
Or out-of-country. Then you can really have basically zero consequences other than the fine. You should tag along with me on on of my 200kph visits to Leon. The autobahn is nothing.

Somehow I think the consequences for a gringo getting nailed at that speed in Mexico would be worse.than some demerit points back at home..... :lockedup: :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: dazzleman on January 09, 2015, 04:33:48 PM
Somehow I think the consequences for a gringo getting nailed at that speed in Mexico would be worse.than some demerit points back at home..... :lockedup: :lol:

No way in hell you'd get locked up. It just would be somewhat expensive. $500 tops.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 09, 2015, 04:35:00 PM
No way in hell you'd get locked up. It just would be somewhat expensive. $500 tops.

I could live with that.  It sounds sort of fun.  We'll worth the money. :rockon:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 09, 2015, 12:16:09 PM
How would they assess risk though?

I think it would be better to just to ban hiking rates off of moving violations. Insurers pay out based on accidents.... so accidents should be the basis of rates.

Speed limits should be adjusted to reflect modern car capabilities and general driver speed sentiments as well. 10 MPH over is pretty much the norm everywhere.

No it's not. People in the northwest drive slow as fuck. Average speed around [this] town is probably two under the limit, and on the freeway, probably about the limit or a couple over.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on January 09, 2015, 04:33:48 PM

There are two types of activities in Mexico: legal ones, and expensive ones.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 09, 2015, 09:29:42 PM
There are two types of activities in Mexico: legal ones, and expensive ones.

That's a good way of looking at it.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on January 09, 2015, 05:18:24 PM
No it's not. People in the northwest drive slow as fuck. Average speed around [this] town is probably two under the limit, and on the freeway, probably about the limit or a couple over.

15 out of the 18 Goodguys car shows include an autocross. Wanna guess which shows don't have it? Both shows in Washington.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

I just think it's funny.

There's also a lot of Mopar guys in the PNW and Mopar guys are usually afraid to drive their cars hard. Don't want the window sticker to fall off!

Rupert

There are SCCA autocrosses all over the place, though. AKA, real racing.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on January 10, 2015, 02:13:24 PM
There are SCCA autocrosses all over the place, though. AKA, real racing.

Real racing... against cones... that don't move unless you run them.over.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 10, 2015, 02:14:40 PM
Real racing... against cones... that don't move unless you run them.over.
This is relative to autocross with huge overpowered American iron.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on January 10, 2015, 06:16:26 PM
This is relative to autocross with huge overpowered American iron.

Most of them are $200k road-legal race cars and would whup the majority of SCCA cars (a lot of the drivers do SSCCA as well)

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 09, 2015, 12:16:09 PM
How would they assess risk though?

I think it would be better to just to ban hiking rates off of moving violations. Insurers pay out based on accidents.... so accidents should be the basis of rates.

Speed limits should be adjusted to reflect modern car capabilities and general driver speed sentiments as well. 10 MPH over is pretty much the norm everywhere.

I don't know exactly how risk would be assessed - let the free market decide. Could be anything from an affidavit on driving record, to court history, to criminal record, to credit history, to education level, to career. Or, all of those, or none of those, or nothing at all (and insurance becomes no fault).

No, no bans, or, the only ban that should be instituted is giving insurance companies direct line to one's driving record. 

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 10, 2015, 11:47:26 PM
I don't know exactly how risk would be assessed - let the free market decide. Could be anything from an affidavit on driving record, to court history, to criminal record, to credit history, to education level, to career. Or, all of those, or none of those, or nothing at all (and insurance becomes no fault).

No, no bans, or, the only ban that should be instituted is giving insurance companies direct line to one's driving record.

What's the difference between all those things, and a direct line to somebody's driving record?  There seems to be a distinction without a difference here.

What about those new sensors that some insurance companies are asking people to take, that record the individual's driving practices?

Reality is, as CLKid pointed out earlier, there's no perfect system and never will be.  Getting nailed for moving violations is pretty random, but it does provide some indication of how a person views driving responsibilities.

The current system works fine for those of us who have good credit, few accidents and scant moving violations.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on January 10, 2015, 11:47:26 PM

This makes zero sense. Seems your only gripe is that the free market didn't decide. But none of the alternatives you suggested are any more rational.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on January 11, 2015, 10:11:33 AM
What's the difference between all those things, and a direct line to somebody's driving record?  There seems to be a distinction without a difference here.

What about those new sensors that some insurance companies are asking people to take, that record the individual's driving practices?

Reality is, as CLKid pointed out earlier, there's no perfect system and never will be.  Getting nailed for moving violations is pretty random, but it does provide some indication of how a person views driving responsibilities.

The current system works fine for those of us who have good credit, few accidents and scant moving violations.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 11, 2015, 05:03:55 PM
This makes zero sense. Seems your only gripe is that the free market didn't decide. But none of the alternatives you suggested are any more rational.

The current system is predicated on monopolies and corporatism = huge distortions in the market, particularly, assessing risk. Time and time again goofy stuff like "speeding" and HOV lane violation have been proven to not be dangerous.

The "perfect" (i.e., rational) system is one what the market decides - the market would NOT decide the current system, that is for damned sure. My hunch is, again, things would primarily tend toward assessing risk based on Things That Matter - DUI, reckless driving, eluding police, etc., and of course accidents and claims.

The sad reality of the current state of traffic enforcement is over emphasis on things that don't matter; speeding, speed traps and click-it/ticket campaigns, etc.; diverts resources away from things that DO matter like DUI, drowsy driving, distracted driving, etc.

GoCougs

The current system works great for me too. Owing to career, credit score, education level, etc., I have the largest discount possible through my insurance company (90th percentile driver) and I use traffic lawyers with abandon. 

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 11, 2015, 06:03:25 PM
The current system works great for me too. Owing to career, credit score, education level, etc., I have the largest discount possible through my insurance company (90th percentile driver) and I use traffic lawyers with abandon.

When did you last use a traffic lawyer?  Seems like a while.

GoCougs

Probably 3 years. I use the HOV lane daily, though total mileage is way down as I've found a quicker route to work. I've gone right past state troopers but not pulled over - helps that this time of year in this area it's dark for both the morning and evening commutes.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2015, 01:50:58 AM
Probably 3 years. I use the HOV lane daily, though total mileage is way down as I've found a quicker route to work. I've gone right past state troopers but not pulled over - helps that this time of year in this area it's dark for both the morning and evening commutes.

HOV lane tickets are totally lame anyway.  Maybe you need to drive faster.  :devil:

GoCougs

But the benefit of HOV violation is near infinite. It's my favorite violation by far.

I pretty much never pay attention to speed limits but thing is in a good many cases I think speed limits are about right (or within 5-10 mph of being right). I will typically drive 10-15 mph over on the interstate but so many others are doing so as well and I now rarely if ever see state troopers speed trappin'. My hope is they've gotten smart and are de-emphasizing things that don't matter (speeding) in favor of things that do (DUI, reckless driving, gross equipment violations, esp. driving in the dark without headlights which I see pretty much every day).

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2015, 08:22:11 AM
But the benefit of HOV violation is near infinite. It's my favorite violation by far.

I pretty much never pay attention to speed limits but thing is in a good many cases I think speed limits are about right (or within 5-10 mph of being right). I will typically drive 10-15 mph over on the interstate but so many others are doing so as well and I now rarely if ever see state troopers speed trappin'. My hope is they've gotten smart and are de-emphasizing things that don't matter (speeding) in favor of things that do (DUI, reckless driving, gross equipment violations, esp. driving in the dark without headlights which I see pretty much every day).

When I got my last speeding ticket, the cop told me that if I kept it to 15 over or less, I wouldn't be stopped.

hotrodalex

Utah HOV lanes have like 0 enforcement methods. It's hilarious.

Klackamas

I'm told ticketing for speeding in an unmarked car in Georgia is illegal, but not enforced by the state.
Must have 3 inch lettering back and sides. Can that be right?
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

Klackamas

Sho 'nuf

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-91

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2009 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2009 Regular Session ***

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 8. EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 1. EQUIPMENT GENERALLY
PART 5. EQUIPMENT OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AND EMERGENCY VEHICLES

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-91 (2009)

§ 40-8-91. Marking and equipment of law enforcement vehicles; motorist allowed to continue to safe location before stopping for law enforcement officer vehicles

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this Code section, any motor vehicle which is used on official business by any person authorized to make arrests for traffic violations in this state, or any municipality or county thereof, shall be distinctly marked on each side and the back with the name of the agency responsible therefor, in letters not less than four inches in height.

(b) Any motor vehicle, except as hereinafter provided in this subsection, used by any employee of the Georgia State Patrol for the purpose of enforcing the traffic laws of this state shall be distinctly painted, marked, and equipped in such manner as shall be prescribed by the commissioner of public safety pursuant to this Code section. The commissioner in prescribing the manner in which such vehicles shall be painted, marked, or equipped shall:

(1) Require that all such motor vehicles be painted in a two-toned uniform color. The hood, top, and the top area not to exceed 12 inches below the bottom of the window opening thereof shall be a light gray color and the remaining portion of said motor vehicle shall be painted a dark blue color;

(2) Require that any such motor vehicle be equipped with at least one lamp which when lighted shall display a flashing or revolving colored light visible under normal atmospheric conditions for a distance of 500 feet from the front and rear of such vehicle; and

(3) Require that any such motor vehicle shall be distinctly marked on each side and the back thereof with the wording "State Patrol" in letters not less than six inches in height of a contrasting color from the background color of the motor vehicle. Notwithstanding the above provisions, it shall be permissible for the commissioner to allow not more than five motor vehicles per State Patrol post to be employed in traffic law enforcement which are painted any solid color designated by the commissioner and marked with "State Patrol" in six inch high letters of a contrasting color.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person, except persons lawfully entitled to own vehicles for law enforcement purposes, to paint, mark, or equip any motor vehicle in the same manner prescribed by this Code section or by the commissioner for law enforcement vehicles.

(d) When a law enforcement vehicle is disposed of, or is not in use for law enforcement, the lettering and colored lights must be removed. Any person using such vehicle for personal use prior to removing colored lights and lettering shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(e) Whenever a motorist driving on the roadways of this state is directed to stop by a law enforcement officer in a law enforcement vehicle marked as required under this Code section, the motorist may continue to drive until a reasonably safe location for stopping is reached. Such motorist shall indicate to the officer his or her intent to proceed to a safe location by displaying the vehicle's flashing lights or turn signal. In proceeding to a safe location, the motorist shall observe the posted maximum speed limit.

(f) An otherwise lawful arrest shall not be invalidated or in any manner affected by failure to comply with this Code section.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 107A; Ga. L. 1966, p. 166, § 1; Ga. L. 1976, p. 208, § 1; Ga. L. 1986, p. 802, §§ 1-3; Ga. L. 1987, p. 3, § 405; Ga. L. 2006, p. 231, § 3/SB 64; Ga. L. 2006, p. 255, § 1/SB 454.
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

MX793

Quote from: Klackamas on January 13, 2015, 06:38:25 PM
I'm told ticketing for speeding in an unmarked car in Georgia is illegal, but not enforced by the state.
Must have 3 inch lettering back and sides. Can that be right?

NY had issued a similar directive, though it only applied to state police and not local municipalities, due to a series of police impersonation cases.  However, they recently eliminated that directive.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on January 03, 2015, 09:48:49 PM
Of all moving traffic citations given, what % are for materially dangerous behavior - running red lights, illegal turns, tailgating, etc.? My hunch is it's preciously small, with most citations being of the speeding variety which I'd bet in the majority if not most cases is not materially dangerous.
If you are talking nonresidential roads I might be inclined to agree.

For residential areas I would argue speeding is dangerous by the very nature of the environment.

I was surprised to see Alabama roads at 60 most everywhere away from residential and commercial areas.

My problem with speed limits as they are today is that cars are safer and have much better braking and overall handling abilities.  On the flip side of that drivers seem much less well trained and overall much more dangerous, partly because of the seriously reduced driver training, at least equally because of the distractions driver have now.

If the states all got together and outlawed using cell phones while driving, specifically texting, and applied seriously harsh penalties to licenses for violations, not fines but actual progrssively increasing license sanctions I would be fine raising all non-residential prima facia speeds by 10 mph.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hotrodalex

Haven't all states banned texting? The problem is with enforcement of that ban. Not the easiest thing to catch.