The Manhattan Project II: Sporty's Civic Build

Started by 12,000 RPM, January 01, 2015, 06:53:12 PM

Rupert

I'm not really into any of those things, though.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Trouble in paradise already. Loading up the car with gym stuff, trunk wouldn't close. We got hit with a deep freeze down here and I guess the cold did something to the latch. Had to drive the Z in :rolleyes:

For some reason I wasn't speeding as much in the Z today as I usually do. I passed some people but it wasn't the 80 MPH dash it usually is. Z controls are so comically heavy though, it really makes no sense. Its not for the weak but the heft is not feedback so its unnecessary. Big thing I really noticed though was how much better the Z's stereo is. That sub makes a huge difference. I will need a headunit that has the ability to delay different channels though to get everything synced up.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Spray some WD40 on the latches and in your lock holes! That'll help prevent freezing.....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Wait did you just leave your trunk open all day?

12,000 RPM

I backed it up to a bush and put a tire iron on it. There was a guy in my lot who left the windows of his G35 coupe open for WEEKS.... nobody messed with it. I'm gonna take it to Honda tonight. They should fix it for free.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 08, 2015, 06:21:15 AM
Trouble in paradise already. Loading up the car with gym stuff, trunk wouldn't close. We got hit with a deep freeze down here and I guess the cold did something to the latch. Had to drive the Z in :rolleyes:

For some reason I wasn't speeding as much in the Z today as I usually do. I passed some people but it wasn't the 80 MPH dash it usually is. Z controls are so comically heavy though, it really makes no sense. Its not for the weak but the heft is not feedback so its unnecessary. Big thing I really noticed though was how much better the Z's stereo is. That sub makes a huge difference. I will need a headunit that has the ability to delay different channels though to get everything synced up.
Did you slam it a few times?  Sometimes that works.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

I've never heard of or seen a latch or lock freezing up such that it won't close due to cold temps.  I've had them freeze shut and not open due to moisture inside the lock turning to ice and binding up, but once you break it free, they'll latch closed again.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on January 08, 2015, 03:22:26 PM
I've never heard of or seen a latch or lock freezing up such that it won't close due to cold temps.  I've had them freeze shut and not open due to moisture inside the lock turning to ice and binding up, but once you break it free, they'll latch closed again.
I've had it happen...but I live in Canada,  so......

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on January 08, 2015, 04:36:34 PM
I've had it happen...but I live in Canada,  so......

Winters here are as cold or colder, on average, than they are Pacific NW.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

I've accidentally knocked the latch closed while the trunk was open, meaning it wouldn't latch. Just had to turn the key again or hit the trunk button and it would work.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

I think the cable in the release snapped. Anyways its at the dealership. We will see what happens

CJ

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 08, 2015, 06:51:14 PM
I think the cable in the release snapped. Anyways its at the dealership. We will see what happens

The latch failed on my mom's Accord, so I can't say I'm terribly surprised.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rupert

What are you going to ask for the Z when you sell it?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on January 08, 2015, 07:21:06 PM

Welcome, noob. This question has already been answered. Learn to use the search button.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 08, 2015, 07:26:55 PM
Welcome, noob. This question has already been answered. Learn to use the search button.

I probably asked it. Don't care, search is shit last time I checked. It'll take him 8 seconds and he'll get to advertise here a little in a non-advertisey way.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rupert on January 08, 2015, 07:21:06 PM
I will ask for 8 but Im hoping to get like 7

Rupert

That's not too bad. I think they're a bit spendier around here.

12,000 RPM

They are not very common down here for less than 10K, at least when I was looking. Mine has miles and a little interior wear and tear but its so mechanically solid. Would be a really fun project car and can be a decent daily driver for someone not bothered by the noise/costs.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on January 08, 2015, 07:13:17 PM
:RECORD SCRATCH: HONDAS BREAK?  :mask:
They did admit to programme problems with their problem reporting applications. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Hondas have always had little niggles. All of my Accords had main relay issues that kept the car from starting with a hot interior. Easy fix though. Everyone knows about the V6 transmissions from the late 90s. But even still, you see plenty of 10-20 year old "problem Hondas" on the road running fine. So they aren't anything that will sideline the cars.

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on January 08, 2015, 04:57:15 PM
Winters here are as cold or colder, on average, than they are Pacific NW.
They aren't colder than Edmonton. That's where I loved for 5 years. Then I lived in Calgary for another 5.

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 09, 2015, 06:19:24 AM
They are not very common down here for less than 10K, at least when I was looking. Mine has miles and a little interior wear and tear but its so mechanically solid. Would be a really fun project car and can be a decent daily driver for someone not bothered by the noise/costs.

Maybe I should drive one and then buy from the east. Always wanted to drive across the country.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on January 09, 2015, 05:19:49 PM
Maybe I should drive one and then buy from the east. Always wanted to drive across the country.

350Zs are surprisingly comfortable and agreeable to drive in. Wouldn't be a bad car for a cross country trip.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

The 370Z has steadily moved up my list in the past year.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 10, 2015, 10:39:52 AM
The 370Z has steadily moved up my list in the past year.

From a purely statistical standpoint, the 370z is possibly the best performance option besides the miata.  It offers a lot of performance for the money in a pretty decent package.

12,000 RPM

I think the HR 350 is the better value used though. Unless you really want the nicer interior. From a pure straight line perspective on the street I was not impressed. You need to hit triple digit speeds to really feel the difference

hotrodalex