The Manhattan Project II: Sporty's Civic Build

Started by 12,000 RPM, January 01, 2015, 06:53:12 PM

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on January 05, 2015, 06:49:36 PM
As supposed king of rice on his forum (see my BRZ thread) , I side with sporty. I've got really sensitive eyes, and HIDs aren't a tenth as bad as misaligned reflectors or idiots who drive with their brights on everywhere. There's a ton of those around here for some reason.

YOU'RE the king of rice on this forum? I don't think so.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

I had an AEM sticker on my first Accord... no AEM products ever, in my life, though. I have had 3 Hondas. I had a Maxima that was dropped 3 inches. Its clear who the king is.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

alright, BRING IT, sticker count as of RIGHT NOW.   :lol:

I have 4.   

-Wyoming bucking bronco
-US Army
-Giant bicycles
-Subaru badges
Will

Cookie Monster

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 06, 2015, 07:47:02 AM

I have 4.   

-Wyoming bucking bronco
-US Army
-Giant bicycles
-Subaru badges

I have like 8 on the Miata...

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 06, 2015, 04:44:57 AM
I had an AEM sticker on my first Accord... no AEM products ever, in my life, though. I have had 3 Hondas. I had a Maxima that was dropped 3 inches. Its clear who the king is.

Bro, my car is pretty much slammed to the max, has the loudest exhaust system short of straight pipes and has yellow wheels, plus a bucket seat, purple dash and harness and a baby blue rollbar with camo tape on it.

You guys ain't even on my level.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FlatBlackCaddy

uhh ohh

Rice-off

It's going down like china town in this bitch

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 06, 2015, 07:47:02 AM

I have 4.   

-Wyoming bucking bronco
-US Army
-Giant bicycles
-Subaru badges

18 stickers, but not a one is rice (and neither are yours, fortunately).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

^ Explorer not 944. 944 has one sticker; a jolly roger.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on January 06, 2015, 02:15:05 PM
18 stickers, but not a one is rice (and neither are yours, fortunately).

What are yours?  (just curious- I lost to at least 2 of y'all so far)

BTW the Subaru badges are ricey. Somewhat anyway.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

I have rally flaps with rally flap logos (counts as four stickers?), modified suspension, oversized tires, polished lip rimz, a holy muffler, an intake tube hanging below my bumper, a DC Sport strut tower bar, red LED strips in my foot wells, red interior lughts, amber license plate lamps, a red tow hook and the remnants of a 'ring sticker even though I've never left this continent.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 06, 2015, 07:19:36 PM
What are yours?  (just curious- I lost to at least 2 of y'all so far)

BTW the Subaru badges are ricey. Somewhat anyway.

Too many to list.

12,000 RPM

"Power To The Peaceful!"

"Coexist (made of all the religious symbols)"

:lol:

AutobahnSHO

Will

12,000 RPM

Yea, commuting in is pretty nice with this car. Actually has enough power to pass on 2 lane roads too. Handling is actually pretty good too. It def doesn't throw in the towel like the Rabbit, and its limits dont seem far off from, but more importantly are nowhere near as scary to approach as the Z's. Civic actually has less weight on its nose (~100lbs), so with 225-235s up front, a lowered suspension and RSB I think it would pretty much be on the level of the Z, but with lower wheel rates and by extension much better ride quality.

The stock suspension is actually tuned pretty nicely too. Car feels "springy" but controls body motions well. KW makes Suspension Techniques coilovers that are like 25% stiffer than stock, and separate ride height adjustments from travel. Even have helper springs. Pretty much KW V1s for half the price. So I will probably be going with those, summer wheels/tires and some kind of RSB. Stock brakes are not terrible but I am already getting judders on the highway. Rear EX brakes are the same as Si's so those stay... but for the hassle of changing rotors/pads it won't be much more cost/time to do front calipers. TSX calipers/rotors swap right on. Gonna take my time with all that though, probably won't get into this until well after we are settled in the new house.

Still trying to figure out what to do about audio. Plan for now is no subs. IB 6.5s in the stock rear deck location, possibly the front too (the ones I see go up to 2500Hz and I have a separate tweeter), amped of course and plenty of sound dampening/door sealing. Should be enough, I'm not 18.

That along with an intake for more growl will probably be it. "B-b-b-but you should have got the Si" Again I would have done all these mods to it anyway.

Recalling a 335i test drive I did a while back, I have to say I prefer the Civic's interior. Materials were (marginally) better in the 3 (from what I can remember), but I still prefer the design of the Civic. The gauges are def where the Civic wins hands down. 335i also felt a lot heavier (as it was). Neighbor has an 06 325i and its just not that nice inside.

AutobahnSHO

Will

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 07, 2015, 08:50:50 AM
Yea, commuting in is pretty nice with this car. Actually has enough power to pass on 2 lane roads too. Handling is actually pretty good too. It def doesn't throw in the towel like the Rabbit, and its limits dont seem far off from, but more importantly are nowhere near as scary to approach as the Z's. Civic actually has less weight on its nose (~100lbs), so with 225-235s up front, a lowered suspension and RSB I think it would pretty much be on the level of the Z, but with lower wheel rates and by extension much better ride quality.

The stock suspension is actually tuned pretty nicely too. Car feels "springy" but controls body motions well. KW makes Suspension Techniques coilovers that are like 25% stiffer than stock, and separate ride height adjustments from travel. Even have helper springs. Pretty much KW V1s for half the price. So I will probably be going with those, summer wheels/tires and some kind of RSB. Stock brakes are not terrible but I am already getting judders on the highway. Rear EX brakes are the same as Si's so those stay... but for the hassle of changing rotors/pads it won't be much more cost/time to do front calipers. TSX calipers/rotors swap right on. Gonna take my time with all that though, probably won't get into this until well after we are settled in the new house.

Still trying to figure out what to do about audio. Plan for now is no subs. IB 6.5s in the stock rear deck location, possibly the front too (the ones I see go up to 2500Hz and I have a separate tweeter), amped of course and plenty of sound dampening/door sealing. Should be enough, I'm not 18.

That along with an intake for more growl will probably be it. "B-b-b-but you should have got the Si" Again I would have done all these mods to it anyway.

Recalling a 335i test drive I did a while back, I have to say I prefer the Civic's interior. Materials were (marginally) better in the 3 (from what I can remember), but I still prefer the design of the Civic. The gauges are def where the Civic wins hands down. 335i also felt a lot heavier (as it was). Neighbor has an 06 325i and its just not that nice inside.

And that folks is how you rationalize your car purchase when going from a sports car to a (nice) econobox.

Now we're comparing the Civic to a 335i? You've gone mad.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 07, 2015, 09:42:39 AM
And that folks is how you rationalize your car purchase when going from a sports car to a (nice) econobox.

That's just like, his, opinion man.

:rastaman:

12,000 RPM

Naw, like I said the rationale = car that's cheaper and easier to own and more suited to the bulk of driving I do

The fact that I can mod it to my tastes and have it still be cheaper and easier to own + suited to the bulking of driving I do than the Z is just icing on the cake.

I dont find value in saying "I drive a sports car" or need a sports car to enjoy driving.

And yea the 335i I drove was disappointing. Not comparing them directly, obviously they are totally different classes. But I didn't come away impressed with the 3 for what it was and for what they were charging for it. For my commute and driving record, all it would really have added was less road noise.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 07, 2015, 09:42:39 AM

Just wait until he dumps a few grand into it(suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, etc).

You'd better be nice, he just might come gunning for you and your 1M.

2o6

235's are overkill for a car with 130HP at the wheels, max.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on January 07, 2015, 12:30:17 PM

Depends if he's using a 10" or 12" wide rim.

SJ_GTI

Probably, but they would look nice IMHO.

I had 235's on my GTI, I liked the way they looked even versus the stock 225's. I would have happily went with 245's if they fit the wheel, but the stock 18 inchers couldn't comfortably handle that much tire (and I didn't feel like spending more on wheels at the time).

On my current car I went a slightly different direct. Instead of going with a slightly wider tire I went with a wheel that has a slightly smaller offset (I think that is right, the wheels sit slightly further out) to improve the stance. Although to be honest, I again wouldn't mind 265's instead of the stock 255's, even if it was just for looks.

12,000 RPM

Its more about lateral grip and wear time than straight line grip. 205 summer tires will prob grip a little better than 235 all seasons, but they cost more, wear faster and need a second set of wheels/tires for the winter. Realistically 225s will prob work fine. Just want that little extra.

AutobahnSHO

This thread is living up to expectations.

:clap:  :wtf:  :hammerhead:  :muffin:  :golfclap:  :dance:  :rastaman:  :lol:  :nutty:  :rockon:

:popcorn:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

"stock suspension is actually tuned pretty nicely" = "probably getting coilvers" :wtf:

12,000 RPM

It is but its too high. Hence keeping close to stock rates

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 07, 2015, 04:08:47 PM
It is but its too high. Hence keeping close to stock rates

What if you have to drive over a speed bump? :lol:

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 07, 2015, 05:56:55 AM
"Power To The Peaceful!"

Nomeansno, The Melvins, "Adventure", Clifford the Big Red Dog (just like the Explorer), nothing political. ;)

hotrodalex

Surf shop, surf company, surf shop, surf company, something else I think, Mooneyes, Puerto Rico surf sticker.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 07, 2015, 05:56:55 AM
"Power To The Peaceful!"

You should get this one