The Manhattan Project II: Sporty's Civic Build

Started by 12,000 RPM, January 01, 2015, 06:53:12 PM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on March 14, 2015, 07:59:05 PM
Eh, you do you man. I certainly don't have room to talk shit. Actually, so don't a lot of people here. H put coilovers and wheels/tires on his BRZ and ended up DD'ing an olde man Genesis. Plus, other people talking shit are probably jelly that their SO won't let them modify their cars.

I feel you on the impracticality. Having a two door/two seat car as an only/main car blows. Plus, having lower consumable costs is always nice. I would have gone for an Si, though, because they were actually good cars. That K20 is so nice, and isn't like the current Si's K24 where Honda went full retard and put the fucking header in the block. :facepalm:

Other than that, I'm excited to see where you take this thing.
Yea its a damn shame what they did to the K. It doesnt seem like it hurt much though. People are getting 210-220WHP with bolt ons and tunes. Plus, easy turbo  :evildude:

Every time I go to get gas I'm glad I didn't get the K20. It's definitely faster but I just don't like the power delivery. I have plans though  :rastaman:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

hotrodalex

:popcorn:

As the person on here who has done the most to his car, I'd keep this one stock.

SVT_Power

Quote from: MrH on March 14, 2015, 04:03:54 PM
The mental gymnastics to get to where he is is just funny, that's all.

The Z is too harsh for daily driving.  A Civic Si is too much performance.  So he bought a standard Civic, and is now going spend even more to get wheels and suspension to lower it.  It'll now be harsher than an Si, more expensive, and slower.

The harshest ride I've ever experienced was a friend's 8th gen civic with Honda's Factory Performance suspension. Jesus that thing was a rough POS.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 14, 2015, 08:03:23 PM
What exactly is "legit" damping?
In summary, damping by a company that supplies OEMs or has racing cred (i.e. Tokico, KYB, Koni, Bilstein etc). Or to put it another way, NOT that Taiwanese "32 way adjustable" crosstalking crap. Has to be designed for stiffer and lower springs, but most legit performance dampers/coilovers are.

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 15, 2015, 02:49:36 AM
The harshest ride I've ever experienced was a friend's 8th gen civic with Honda's Factory Performance suspension. Jesus that thing was a rough POS.
HFP 8th gen setup is agreed to be too harsh by everybody on 8thcivic.com. It's something with the damping. Other shocks work great

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 14, 2015, 11:57:24 PM

As the person on here who has done the most to his car, I'd keep this one stock.
Why?

SVT666

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 15, 2015, 02:49:36 AM
A buddy of mine has a 2005 Civic SiR and it's stiffer and rougher than the lowered Mustang I modified years ago.

Cookie Monster

As the person on here with the most unlivable DD, I wouldn't. :devil:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 15, 2015, 07:30:02 AM
Why?

It's a Civic, supposed to be a DD. I don't think springs and shocks are gonna change anything except possibly make it ride stiffer, which is silly.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I agree! Put that money into the Z or the bike!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

As the person on here with a lifted Accent with a stiff ride that will soon be a lowered (again) Accent with a stiff ride, I say do what you want and keep the original parts in case you have back problems in the future.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2015, 09:00:13 AM
A buddy of mine has a 2005 Civic SiR and it's stiffer and rougher than the lowered Mustang I modified years ago.
7th gen Civics have shit suspension designs though, and in any case all spring/shock combos aren't the same :huh:

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 15, 2015, 09:30:34 AM
It's a Civic, supposed to be a DD. I don't think springs and shocks are gonna change anything except possibly make it ride stiffer, which is silly.
It will look better and handle better. And no offense but I think building an El Camino to do auto-X is a lot sillier. But that's the choice you made, and even though I wouldn't do it I respect that that's what you want. I really don't see what is so impossible to comprehend about wanting to make a daily driver more fun. We are not talking a full race setup or a ricey hellaflush setup. We are talking lowering it no more than an inch and a half and upgrading the shocks to match. Maybe a stronger RSB and definitely some better wheels and tires. No different from a sport package on something like a Bimmer 3, just not OEM :huh:

2o6

Que? The Si/SiR EP3 if anything is too soft

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 15, 2015, 11:48:55 AM
7th gen Civics have shit suspension designs though, and in any case all spring/shock combos aren't the same :huh:
It will look better and handle better. And no offense but I think building an El Camino to do auto-X is a lot sillier. But that's the choice you made, and even though I wouldn't do it I respect that that's what you want. I really don't see what is so impossible to comprehend about wanting to make a daily driver more fun. We are not talking a full race setup or a ricey hellaflush setup. We are talking lowering it no more than an inch and a half and upgrading the shocks to match. Maybe a stronger RSB and definitely some better wheels and tires. No different from a sport package on something like a Bimmer 3, just not OEM :huh:

I took a poor handling car and made it acceptable for modern standards. A Civic is already a comfortable, decently good handler. Personally, I think it fits the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category.

AutobahnSHO

I wish I had money laying around to build a street car or go crazy and build subie into offroader.

I just laugh that you deny that deep down rice fanaticism.  :lol:
Will

MrH

That doesn't count. That chassis is so floppy, you could put solid metal blocks in place of the springs, and it'd still feel soft. Everything else just flexs. It's got the torsional rigidity of warm butter :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: MrH on March 15, 2015, 01:48:20 PM
That doesn't count. That chassis is so floppy, you could put solid metal blocks in place of the springs, and it'd still feel soft. Everything else just flexs. It's got the torsional rigidity of warm butter :lol:

Ha!  I was going to say the exact same thing.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on March 15, 2015, 11:54:29 AM

Que? The Si/SiR EP3 if anything is too soft
His SiR made my SVT Focus feel like Cadillac in comparison.

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on March 15, 2015, 01:48:20 PM
LOL.  True, but the point is, I put Ford Racing springs on it and it rode like shit, but was still more comfortable than my buddy's SiR.

Cookie Monster

Speaking of undrivable, I got the Miata stuck on the entrance of the parking garage at work today. :mask: :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

I get where Sporty is coming from (I was just ribbing you).  Once my wife gets the Mazda3,I want to put springs/dampers, exhaust, and wheels on the G. Wheels are tough though because stock wheels are nice already, but ours are getting dinged up from winter driving.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 15, 2015, 12:27:33 PM
I took a poor handling car and made it acceptable for modern standards. A Civic is already a comfortable, decently good handler. Personally, I think it fits the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category.
It has room to play. The chassis can handle more grip, and more grip requires a better suspension. Plus roads down here are not that bad... the Z's stiff suspension is not an issue here; it's the road noise from it that is annoying. The Civic is a Lexus by comparison. So I think tweaking it a little to fit my tastes will be fine. It won't ruin the car at all. U took a crap (no offense) platform and made it OK. Why can't I take an OK platform and make it great?

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2015, 03:21:55 PM
I get where Sporty is coming from (I was just ribbing you).  Once my wife gets the Mazda3,I want to put springs/dampers, exhaust, and wheels on the G. Wheels are tough though because stock wheels are nice already, but ours are getting dinged up from winter driving.
If you have good stock wheels I don't think they are worth replacing. Stock Si wheels are like 17x7.5... those with 225/40s run great on the Civic. If I were to keep + invest in the Z I would probably just switch to the updated wheels which are the same size as mine or the 19s from the old G35 coupe. The track wheels on Gs/Zs are Rays which are like the BBS of Japan. You are right to not bother with wheels...

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2015, 03:07:57 PM
His SiR made my SVT Focus feel like Cadillac in comparison.

The soft suspension is why I like the EP3 so much

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 15, 2015, 12:27:33 PM

The civic is kind of soft, and stiffer springs would go a longer way to making the car feel sharper and more responsive

Idk why you guys are giving him shit or acting like modding a HONDA CIVIC, One of the most nodded cars on the planet, is such a new concept

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2015, 03:21:55 PM

The AWD G does not do well with suspension mods (well, no car does really). The G is particularly sensitive as Nissan's ATTESA depends heavily on expected inputs from what the car is doing.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2015, 05:47:41 PM
The AWD G does not do well with suspension mods (well, no car does really). The G is particularly sensitive as Nissan's ATTESA depends heavily on expected inputs from what the car is doing.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 15, 2015, 03:32:06 PM

If you have good stock wheels I don't think they are worth replacing. Stock Si wheels are like 17x7.5... those with 225/40s run great on the Civic. If I were to keep + invest in the Z I would probably just switch to the updated wheels which are the same size as mine or the 19s from the old G35 coupe. The track wheels on Gs/Zs are Rays which are like the BBS of Japan. You are right to not bother with wheels...
Our stock wheels are chipped up from winter driving. I would like gunmetal grey wheels if I could find some that look good.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on March 15, 2015, 05:00:22 PM

The SiR has rock hard suspension. Feels like the wheels are bolted to the frame. 

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2015, 05:57:18 PM
You have no idea what you are talking about.

You're gonna want to do some research on how ATTESA works.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on March 15, 2015, 05:00:22 PM

The civic is kind of soft, and stiffer springs would go a longer way to making the car feel sharper and more responsive

Idk why you guys are giving him shit or acting like modding a HONDA CIVIC, One of the most nodded cars on the planet, is such a new concept

Well most modded Civics are garbage, so...

I think the money would be better spent on Z parts, bike parts, or maybe a track day. I'd kill to have a stock Civic as a DD so I could go further with my El Camino. I wouldn't mod the Civic because to me, the point of it is to be a car I just get in and drive with no hassle or thought put into it. If he wants to mod it, go ahead, I saying it's not what I would do.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on March 15, 2015, 06:10:19 PM
You're gonna want to do some research on how ATTESA works.

What about a Tesla?

68_427

Can't wait to absorb all the h8 when I slam the outback
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no