Had a new A3 as a Loaner

Started by SJ_GTI, January 14, 2015, 11:12:29 AM

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 15, 2015, 12:21:29 PM
I liked DSG when I drove it but I wonder if I would have got bored with it.

I got bored with it before my short test drive was over.  Much better than any traditional slushie I've ever driven, but in the end it's still an automatic.  Flogging the piss out of the car, I'm sure the experience is better, but driving around normally it felt like a very good, responsive, and crisp automatic.  Not a suitable replacement for a traditional stick.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 15, 2015, 07:31:52 AM
Not to mention for the price of an S3 you can land the new Golf R when it gets here.

Other than the badge(which I don't even thing would translate to better resale in this case) I don't see why anyone would pick the S3.

Not wanting a hatchback easily sways me to the S3 over the golf r
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Atomic

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 16, 2015, 06:09:44 AM
I was thinking more about this car last night and why I was so disappointed.

Then I remembered that a couple of years ago I had an ATS rental, and between the two it wouldn't even be close. Even though I couldn't see myself ever going back to a slushie, if I HAD to choose between a base model ATS with an autotragic and the 2.5L V6 and a 2.0T A3 with DSG/Quattro, I think I would still go with the ATS. It was just a better overall package.

One real advantage to taking cars for a long spin in advantage in at possible, especially having a loaner or rental gives you a chance to experience a vehicle to make a sound comparison and ultimately edicated decision. Great thread.

Char

A warmed over Golf, drives like a warmed over Golf.

SHOCKER.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

SJ_GTI

So I dropped of my S4 to the deal last Wednesday to get the repair done. I got another A3 as a loaner. this time it was grey exterior with brown interior, Looked a lot nicer than the black/black version.

I had the A3 for roughly three days (dropped my car off first thing Wednesday morning, picked it up Friday evening after work) so I got to spend more time with this one.

Really don't like automatics. Was so happy to shift my own gears when I got my car back.

The seats in the A3 are comfy, but I missed the lateral support of my car's seats. Surprisingly, I think I sit closer to the ground in my car than the A3.

I know I am biased, but I think my interior, though a lot older, is so much nicer than the A3's. And I am talking design, not materials (since obviously an A4 should be more expensive than an A3). I don't like the round vents (never have) and I very much prefer the "driver oriented" configuration of the A4. I hope the next A4 doesn't move toward the A3's design language on the inside.

All that being said, the menu/infotainment system on the A3 is definitely superior, so there is that. Will be curious to see what the next A4/S4 looks like.

12,000 RPM

Will be interesting to see what they do next go round. I feel like it's high time Audi moved to a RWD biased setup. They are just shooting themselves in the foot hanging the engine over the front like one of those public bus bike racks :lol: Especially now since they tried to move the wheels forward like a RWD car.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 02, 2015, 08:10:42 AM
Will be interesting to see what they do next go round. I feel like it's high time Audi moved to a RWD biased setup. They are just shooting themselves in the foot hanging the engine over the front like one of those public bus bike racks :lol: Especially now since they tried to move the wheels forward like a RWD car.

They did both of those things in the current gen A4. Front wheels were pushed forward and, at least for the S4, Quattro is putting 60% of the power to the rear wheels. The front end proportions are not quite to typical RWD standards, but you definitely see the difference between my car and typical FWD cars. Much less front overhang and more space between the front wheel and front door.

That being said, I certainly still prefer the "pure" RWD proportions (3-series, C-Class, and ATS are all good examples), but I don't think that is a direction Audi will keep moving. I think being FWD/AWD is their niche in the luxury market in Europe and they sell a lot of cars over there.