2o6's Civic

Started by 2o6, January 14, 2015, 04:41:44 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on January 14, 2015, 11:34:50 PM
...why? its not rocket science'

For his car it might be. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 14, 2015, 10:59:40 PM
Seems much easier to disconnect the transmission and hoist the engine out.

Nah, literally disconnect axles then four bolts and the engine/tranny on a Taurus dropped out. Straight down.
Will

hotrodalex

Well that's disconcerting.

2o6

It's probably better than other solutions and is likely stronger too

The CRV's is suspended. There really isn't anything under the motor and trans

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 14, 2015, 06:38:21 PM
Too soon, junior. Race wars isn't for another six months.

He going to be packing spoon engines brah
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Technician verified the motor is fucked. Crank is turning, cam isn't.

Found a cheaper motor.

I should be driving this thing within a week

Gotta-Qik-C7

i'm the only black guy on here that doesn't own a Civic!  :cry:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on January 17, 2015, 10:20:49 AM

Corolla is close enough.

Xer0

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on January 17, 2015, 10:20:49 AM

First it was miata-spin, then it became G37-spin, brief flirting with OutBack-spin, and now I feel like Civic-spin is upon us.  Better get on the wagon!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 17, 2015, 10:48:50 AM
Corolla is close enough.
I gotta update my sig.That car is dead! LOL!!! I gave it to my daughter when she turned 16.......... NEED I SAY MORE!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on January 17, 2015, 04:30:18 PM
I gotta update my sig.That car is dead! LOL!!! I gave it to my daughter when she turned 16.......... NEED I SAY MORE!

:lol:

2o6

Picked it up today.

- it needs a hood latch (common on these)

- it needs control arm bushings (too big of on center dead spot)

- it might either have a bent wheel or a tire out of round or balance from sitting (freeway shimmy)

- these 14" tires suck ass

- I didn't realize how fucking high the yaris is until I drove a similar year car from a class up. The yaris is like sitting at a bar stool

Other than that - it's a great little clean car.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on January 20, 2015, 07:02:01 PM

- I didn't realize how fucking high the yaris is until I drove a similar year car from a class up. The yaris is like sitting at a bar stool

People used to SUVs actually like that. :huh:
Will

Secret Chimp

You sure the steering feel isn't just the alignment? I had to do my car every year with the potholes

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 21, 2015, 09:16:00 AM
You sure the steering feel isn't just the alignment? I had to do my car every year with the potholes

It vibrates, but it probably needs aligmnnent too

MrH

Picked it up today.

- it might either have a bent wheel or a tire out of round or balance from sitting (freeway shimmy)

Wow.  That was quick.  Stock engine from a junkyard I take it?  How many miles & how much $ to get that thing up and going?

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on January 21, 2015, 09:41:08 AM
Wow.  That was quick.  Stock engine from a junkyard I take it?  How many miles & how much $ to get that thing up and going?

Dude's a machine. Junkyard motor was from an 2005 model with 120k.

550 + 100 (Honda genuine water pump and t belt) + 450 install. (And $100 to replace a battery that failed)

I'm about $2200 deep.

Car is still worth $3500 all day. I'm at least looking at around a $1000 profit if I change my mind.

I could have saved money by doing the engine myself, but I don't have the time (or desire - something satisfying letting others deal with your problems) and the guy got it done IN A DAY. I dropped the motor off Monday evening. By Tuesday afternoon the car was done.

Still needs a hood latch and some front end parts ($50 tops)

But otherwise it's a great little car

2o6

Lol I haven't even owned this car a week

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2015, 09:49:52 AM

Dude's a machine. Junkyard motor was from an 2005 model with 120k.

550 + 100 (Honda genuine water pump and t belt) + 450 install. (And $100 to replace a battery that failed)

I'm about $2200 deep.

Car is still worth $3500 all day. I'm at least looking at around a $1000 profit if I change my mind.

I could have saved money by doing the engine myself, but I don't have the time (or desire - something satisfying letting others deal with your problems) and the guy got it done IN A DAY. I dropped the motor off Monday evening. By Tuesday afternoon the car was done.

Still needs a hood latch and some front end parts ($50 tops)

But otherwise it's a great little car

Man.  Cocaine is a hell of a drug :lol:  That's a crazy quick turn around for a full engine swap.

How did you get the car?  You pay to get it towed or something?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on January 21, 2015, 09:54:41 AM
Man.  Cocaine is a hell of a drug :lol:  That's a crazy quick turn around for a full engine swap.

I used my AAA free tow.

Otherwise, I could have flat towed it using my friends Scion xB. We've flat towed a lot of things across town...like a Prizm. Or a Camry.

This guy doesn't fuck around. When I gave him the motor, the old one was pretty much out.

Here's the old motor. Notice the lack of timing belt. The crankshaft chewed it up lol

FoMoJo

Did you take the head off so see what shape the pistons were in?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2015, 11:39:27 AM
No and no point
I'd be curious.  The block might be salvageable.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 21, 2015, 08:27:19 AM
People used to SUVs actually like that. :huh:

Small cars are becoming like that as a higher more upright seating position is more space efficient. My Civic has the same wheelbase as my old Accord (~107"), and feels about as roomy, but is about a foot shorter. Cars like the Sonic are designed this way to an extreme.
Quote from: MrH on January 21, 2015, 09:54:41 AM

There was a dude in NYC who was a Maxima mechanic... he turned around a transmission replacement for me in the time it took me and wifey to walk to a nearby movie theater and watch it, with time to spare. It was free too since he kept the transmission for parts to flip. Those guys are the best. I don't enjoy projects that take more than 2-3 hours to complete.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

I need to find mechanics like that.....

My parents take their cars to a guy that has a shop (not even a full retail garage) off an alleyway. Does great work for them and charges them just the parts and time it actually takes to do the work, at like $20-25/hr.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Picked it up today.

Tie rods, not control arms. Easy to check by jacking up under the lower control arm and getting the tire off the ground. Shake it side to side. Any play means you need a tie rod end on that side (inner or outer - you have to look and see what's moving). Then push/pull the bottom on the tire. Any play means you need a lower ball joint.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

I was told it needed control arm bushings by the tech who did my engine.

But I can't tell if the steering just bad because of these crappy tires

thewizard16

Impressive deal, impressively quick motor install, impressive all around. :golfclap:
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

2o6

Been driving this for the past few days

- CEL come on. EVAP code. Meh

- Wow, this steering sucks. It has more feel than the Yaris, but the balloon tires and narrow tires = no feel and super light

- Clutch engagement is high, and the shifter is nice. I no longer feel like a Novice; the Yaris has a notoriously frustrating shifter/clutch/throttle relationship

- I didn't realize how tall and narrow the Yaris is.

I'm going to dump this car soon. Its kinda lame

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on January 25, 2015, 07:36:25 PM

I'm going to dump this car soon. Its kinda lame

:lol:  That was quick.  What's next?  Keep the Yaris?  Get a Mazda2?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited