2o6's Civic

Started by 2o6, January 14, 2015, 04:41:44 PM

2o6

Yaris is getting sold either way. Probably another drive n flip. Which means whatever needs work car with value.

Probably a 2002+ Altima or a Gen 1 Mazda 6

Laconian

For some reason I skimmed that as "Pontiac G6".
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

J86

Quote from: 2o6 on January 25, 2015, 08:00:37 PM
Gen 1 Mazda 6

Careful with those!  Mine was less than awesome.

2o6

Engines in those go out fairly commonly

J86

Thing ate ignition coils like they were going out of style.  Doing anything on the aft cylinder bank was a royal pain in the ass due to all the dissasembly you had to do to access it.

2o6

I'd probably get a 4cyl

12,000 RPM

I thought about a 6 4 banger. They had one pretty cheap at one of the dealerships I went to. I'm just weary of Mazda, their reliability has always been spotty
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Hondas have sweet clutches/ transmissions.
Will

2o6

Theyre not that damn special

This car has light steering with not that much feel and the car as a whole is kinda boringg

CALL_911

I never liked the 7th gen Civic

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

7th gen Civic is by far the worst Civic TBH. Worst power to weight ratio, worst suspension geometry, worst aesthetics. I didnt want to rain on the parade. This platform is just not worth diving into. Real Time Racing successfully lobbied the SCCA to allow it to basically completely re-engineer the rear suspension. It was terrible for competition for various reasons.

Honda transmissions are pretty good though. With mild mods (metal shifter bushings) they are the best. With internal work (strengthened syncros) they are divine. They got the design right ~30 years ago and never messed them up.

And they pretty much fixed all the issues with the 8th gen. If not for the minivan height body it would be the best Civic chassis by far.

2o6

I like the Minivan height and the EP3 is wonderful.

This just feels like a roomier, slightly more responsive Corolla.

The Focus MK1 beats the brakes off the Civic dynamically - even in SOHC LX guise

2o6

I never thought I'd miss VVT so much. The Yaris's midrange is so much stronger than the Civic

12,000 RPM

Yea the SOHC Civic engines have some quirks. It's apparently normal for my car to dip down 200-300 RPM at idle whenever the radiator fan kicks on, which is about once every 30 seconds once the engine is heated up and the car is still :facepalm:

Wonder if I can wire up a soft starter for the fan. It's pretty silly.

hotrodalex

It kicks down that much for an electric fan? Maybe you need a bigger alternator. Or is it a regular fan w/ a clutch?

12,000 RPM

Everything is OEM... Honda wanted it this way. I will bet the engine runs super weak at idle for emissions, to the point that the fan kicking on knocks it on its ass

AutobahnSHO

probably- idle is supposed to be as low as possible but still keep the motor turning..
Will

2o6

Sporty our engines aren't the same at all....Mine is a D17

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 26, 2015, 08:14:06 AM
Hondas have sweet clutches/ transmissions.
I'm not fond of the clutch. Too light and the engagement is pretty high for my tastes. The shifters on the other hand, are amazing.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 01, 2015, 12:57:59 PM
Yea the SOHC Civic engines have some quirks. It's apparently normal for my car to dip down 200-300 RPM at idle whenever the radiator fan kicks on, which is about once every 30 seconds once the engine is heated up and the car is still :facepalm:

Wonder if I can wire up a soft starter for the fan. It's pretty silly.

Soft starter won't affect running torque of the fan motor. My Accord did this too a bit, and it was rocking 240 hp.

2o6

The shifter is okay. I don't think they're that damn good. Lots are better.

I actually like the shifter in the Yaris more.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2015, 11:35:36 PM

Very very few shifters are better than a Honda shifter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2015, 11:35:36 PM

Your Civic has one of Honda's worst shifters.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 02, 2015, 05:16:20 AM
Your Civic has one of Honda's worst shifters.

I've noticed. The EP3 and this are night and day.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2015, 08:59:02 PM
Sporty our engines aren't the same at all....Mine is a D17
I know, overarching point was that they can be weird. SOHC = no VVT = slightly wheezy response. It's OK though.

Quote from: GoCougs on February 01, 2015, 11:12:16 PM
Soft starter won't affect running torque of the fan motor. My Accord did this too a bit, and it was rocking 240 hp.
It's the inrush current. Once the fan is running it's fine... it's that spike that kicks the alternator's ass. Trying to think of a cheap safe way to limit it.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 02, 2015, 08:40:46 AM
I know, overarching point was that they can be weird. SOHC = no VVT = slightly wheezy response. It's OK though.
It's the inrush current. Once the fan is running it's fine... it's that spike that kicks the alternator's ass. Trying to think of a cheap safe way to limit it.

Wait, why do you care?  Does it actually stall?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

You can get a SOHC VTEC.

2o6

I went out of my way to drive an EP3 today. There's one for sale on my way home from work

It's amazing - this car and mine are like night and day.

Eye of the Tiger

Why would you want to buy another car exactly like yours?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)