Nissan's front-mid engined, front wheel drive based wingless GT-R Le Mans

Started by 565, January 18, 2015, 10:50:51 AM

SVT666

Despite running at the back of the pack, Nissan says it isn't disappointed by the results of its first test day with its radical new GT-R LM Nismo race car.

In preparation for the 24 Hours of Le Mans set to run later this month, Nissan began a series of test runs of its front-wheel drive GT-R LM Nismo over the weekend. The results were less than stellar, with the GT-R LM Nismo posting lap times that were more than 20 seconds off the pace of the fastest LMP1 car. In fact, the GT-R LM Nismo was more than two seconds slower than the fastest car a rung down in the LMP2 category. Most of Nissan's laps were, however, run under rainy conditions.

Darren Cox, head of Nissan's motorsports operations, wasn't discouraged by the slower lap times.

"There are a lot of positives to take from the test," Cox told Autosport. "We have three cars sitting in the garage right now with nothing wrong with them. We only had one problem that stopped us out on track and we covered a total of 1500km across the three cars."

He added: "We were fastest in the speed trap and at the end Jann [Mardenborough] was one of the fastest cars on intermediates."

Nissan's GT-R LM Nismo is a departure from the norm at Le Mans, with the car utilizing a unique front-wheel drive setup. Nissan says the FWD layout allows for better aerodynamics, but, at least, so far the design doesn't appear to be bearing fruit. Nissan has a few weeks to make adjustment before the 24 Hours of Le Mans kicks off on June 13.

r0tor

Quote from: r0tor on March 04, 2015, 06:23:56 AM
General consensus is its done for marketing and because they didn't have a big enough budget to go head to head with Audi - so they engineered themselves an excuse.

Quote from: r0tor on April 14, 2015, 05:15:49 PM
The car is an undeveloped train wreck

Qualified 20 sec off the time of the new Porsche... Couldn't even beat a privateer team running customer cars.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

Apparently there AWD does not work, so they are running FWD only.

r0tor

Quote from: Galaxy on June 12, 2015, 12:07:25 PM

That was the revelation a many months ago... Bailed on AWD after tbey couldnt get it working and then went on a propaganda campaign bragging about the benefits of FWD.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on June 12, 2015, 12:07:25 PM
What?  How can the makers of the GT-R not get AWD to work?

r0tor

They were trying to do some electric drive to the rear wheels working off of batteries charged by regen breaking and other sorts... Didn't work

They then gave up and started campaigning that FWD would allow them to exploit aero advantages and other crap to avoid saying "we wasted our money"

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on June 12, 2015, 02:25:23 PM
They were trying to do some electric drive to the rear wheels working off of batteries charged by regen breaking and other sorts... Didn't work

They then gave up and started campaigning that FWD would allow them to exploit aero advantages and other crap to avoid saying "we wasted our money"
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how FWD was better for aero.

Rich

The Porsches are fast, and only 1 manufacturer Corvette is left.

Today/tomorrow will be interesting
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

Rich

I downloaded the app.. Watching it for 9$. I wish more racing series did the same
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on June 12, 2015, 02:53:40 PM
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how FWD was better for aero.

It's easier to put more downforce on the front end, since they put the engine up front. Since the weight is up front, remove the wing and optimize the shape since there's no MR layout.

I wonder what this thing would have been like if KERS was working, failure or not, it was a pretty rad concept.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on June 13, 2015, 09:58:51 AM

It's easier to put more downforce on the front end, since they put the engine up front. Since the weight is up front, remove the wing and optimize the shape since there's no MR layout.

I wonder what this thing would have been like if KERS was working, failure or not, it was a pretty rad concept.

Downforce does more than provide traction for the drive wheels.  It provides increased lateral grip for better corner speeds.  You still want downforce on the rear of the car even if it's FWD.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on June 13, 2015, 06:57:20 PM
Downforce does more than provide traction for the drive wheels.  It provides increased lateral grip for better corner speeds.  You still want downforce on the rear of the car even if it's FWD.

Yeah, but nissan's reasoning was since a lot of the weight was up front, they could optimize that? Idk it seems really novel.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on June 13, 2015, 07:25:42 PM
Yeah, but nissan's reasoning was since a lot of the weight was up front, they could optimize that? Idk it seems really novel.
So novel it doesn't work.

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on June 13, 2015, 07:36:57 PM
So novel it doesn't work.

It's a new concept and they've had a lot of problems with it? They seem to be very optimistic and really excited even if it is very slow. I think that dedication to innovation is really nifty

I don't know, I'm not an engineer.

SVT666

They're excitement is obviously fake. Nobody is excited about getting absolutely destroyed in the biggest race in the world.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on June 13, 2015, 07:25:42 PM

These cars generate enough downforce to be able to drive upside down at 100+ mph.  The extra ~200 lbs associated with moving the drivetrain forward is in the noise.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Congrats to Porsche!

Although it's pretty mind boggling how much money VAG left Porsche spend to defeat an already spendy and dominate Audi program.  However, this might be the current race series that transfers tech down to the street the best.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on June 13, 2015, 07:41:57 PM
It's a new concept and they've had a lot of problems with it? They seem to be very optimistic and really excited even if it is very slow. I think that dedication to innovation is really nifty

I don't know, I'm not an engineer.

Those that think that Nissan did this experiment to "win" Le Mans, or who are otherwise poking fun at it, don't understand what is going on.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on June 14, 2015, 10:04:58 AM
Those that think that Nissan did this experiment to "win" Le Mans, or who are otherwise poking fun at it, don't understand what is going on.

Yeah, this clearly was a proof-of-concept, super high-tech, engineering mule.

r0tor

It was an lowly funded program that never had a chance which was designed for publicity.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie