The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT32V on April 02, 2015, 07:47:05 PM
Trap speed is quite a bit higher in the mustang, driven to its potential it will take the quarter.

Further, it is just plain faster, there is no arguing against it.

Like I said before! We'll see who's laughing (Just like every year since the Camaro came back) when the 6th Gen car hits the streets!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT32V

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on April 02, 2015, 07:32:57 PM
Right! The Camaro is 6 years old and still runs neck and neck with the all new rustang!

Not really, any roll race is going to the mustang, the ls3 just isn't up to the task like of the 392 hemi or the 5.0 ford.
It is dead last in the acceleration wars.

SVT32V

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on April 02, 2015, 07:51:07 PM
Like I said before! We'll see who's laughing (Just like every year since the Camaro came back) when the 6th Gen car hits the streets!

Not sure why bowtie boys would be laughing, the coyote was always more than a match for the camaro and the 5.8 trinity is still king over any camaro in the speed dept. :evildude: :ohyeah:

MX793

We'll see what Ford does with the S550 chassis/platform as time passes.  I'd point out that the first year of the gen 5 Camaro wasn't all that spectacular.  Not as good as it is now.  Took a couple of years and some fine tuning to really bring out its potential.  S197 was similar.  Decent when it came out, great after the 2010/2011 suspension and powertrain updates.

I'm eager to see real details on the Gen6 Camaro.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-ford-mustang-gt-vs-chevrolet-camaro-ss-1le-dodge-challenger-r-t-scat-pack-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-5

Not seeing any Mustang domination. All 3 are pretty much neck and neck.

Which is the awesome thing about this era of pony cars. Can't go wrong with any of the choices, basically just pick the one that you think looks coolest.

SVT32V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=156&v=rTJPDurLEKw

Motortrend shows the mustang quite a bit faster in the 1/4. Anything above 1/4 spds and the mustang walks.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 02, 2015, 07:19:17 PM
lol you just cherrypicked the one stat that the Mustang wins in.

Camaro is faster in the 1/4 mi.

Well, to be fair, of the half dozen or so legit comparo tests, it's about even with a tenth or so either way.

Philosophically of course it's a win for the Camaro, considering it's a 6 year old car with an 8 year old motor, whilst the Mustang in that time frame has had two major revamps ('11 w/5.0 and 6 MT, and all new '15 model), and still isn't quicker, and still loses on the track.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on April 02, 2015, 07:51:20 PM
Not really, any roll race is going to the mustang, the ls3 just isn't up to the task like of the 392 hemi or the 5.0 ford.
It is dead last in the acceleration wars.

lol what is this alternate reality

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT32V on April 02, 2015, 08:12:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=156&v=rTJPDurLEKw

Motortrend shows the mustang quite a bit faster in the 1/4. Anything above 1/4 spds and the mustang walks.

2:16 in that video:

"Pony car diehards might be disappointed that you can't find a winner just with straight line performance"

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 02, 2015, 09:41:36 PM
2:16 in that video:

"Pony car diehards might be disappointed that you can't find a winner just with straight line performance"
All that video proves is all the test drivers like the Camaro more!  :lol:

SVT666

The performance levels of these cars are so high now, I don't think it really matters who is faster on a track.  In the real world one is no faster than the other.  I want the one that looks better and is more livable, and surprise surprise, that's the Mustang in my book.

hotrodalex

Apparently the link I posted was an April fools joke posted on Mar 31...

But the chief engineer replied "Hmmmmm!" to it, implying a good possibility of twin turbos.

SVT666

SVT666

Gotta-Qik-C7

GoCougs

I just hope it looks good. A lot of the fanboy renderings I've seen don't do well with the rear window.

12,000 RPM

These cars are all based on SUV platforms so ear level window sills and chunky styling is a given. My buddy's Challenger SRT8 rips but the interior felt like sitting in a basement.

Lel @ 3400lbs and 800HP though, Porsche couldnt do that for a million dollars with a bespoke platform lel. If the V8 comes in under 3700lbs I will be thoroughly impressed, though it may be possible with this all new non-cop car platform.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Another teaser released today.

Okay, now this is looking good, or at least much better than the renderings I've seen recently.

GoCougs

I'm betting it's gonna be a game changer - 460 hp N/A V8, 7sp M/T, MagneRide, 3,650 lbs, $34k MSRP.

BOOM.

12,000 RPM

460HP? Lel.

Magnaride and undercutting the Rustang in weight is more than enough.

Side profile looks like a KPGC10.....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

460 hp? Do you prefer kW?

I'm also hoping it'll help reverse this dismal trend toward forced induction. I just read the 911 is gonna be all turbo very soon. WTF is happening. So very sad.

MX793

I highly doubt this will have the same horsepower as the Vette (and certainly not more, the Vette is rated at 455).  For starters, they had to redesign the headers because the Corvette's headers wouldn't fit, which leads me to believe they aren't as optimal as the Vette's.  Second, the Camaro has never made as much power as the Corvette when the two were sharing engines.  Whether this was intentional detuning or the result of packaging constraints restricting power output (I'm guessing more the former), it's just never happened.  It'll be down at least 5 hp on the Vette.

I'm curious to see what the final design looks like, though.  The profile looks good, I just hope they didn't botch the details.  The mid-cycle facelift on the current gen, particularly the front end and headlights, was a step backwards.  If the headlights look anything like the renderings that have been floating around, I think I'll pass.  I also hope they fixed the horrible outward visibility, but I'm not holding my breath.  That was really the deal-breaker for me on the current car, which I loved and had my heart pretty much set on right up to the point I sat in it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on May 11, 2015, 07:18:45 PM
I highly doubt this will have the same horsepower as the Vette (and certainly not more, the Vette is rated at 455).  For starters, they had to redesign the headers because the Corvette's headers wouldn't fit, which leads me to believe they aren't as optimal as the Vette's.  Second, the Camaro has never made as much power as the Corvette when the two were sharing engines.  Whether this was intentional detuning or the result of packaging constraints restricting power output (I'm guessing more the former), it's just never happened.  It'll be down at least 5 hp on the Vette.

I'm curious to see what the final design looks like, though.  The profile looks good, I just hope they didn't botch the details.  The mid-cycle facelift on the current gen, particularly the front end and headlights, was a step backwards.  If the headlights look anything like the renderings that have been floating around, I think I'll pass.  I also hope they fixed the horrible outward visibility, but I'm not holding my breath.  That was really the deal-breaker for me on the current car, which I loved and had my heart pretty much set on right up to the point I sat in it.
The new taillights were a big step back too.  The taillights that debuted with the car were much nicer.

MX793

I liked the original gen5 tail lights, but the current ones more closely resemble those from the late 60s models that the car's styling draws heavily from.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Cookie Monster

Pics are out:

http://jalopnik.com/2016-chevrolet-camaro-this-is-it-1704694612

Looks pretty good but very conservative. Unfortunately doesn't look like they fixed the god awful tiny window syndrome the current one has.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Looks smaller and less radical but not so sure on the overall effect of the styling. I also saw notes that the LT1 will be bucked down to 440 hp. Not a huge deal, esp. if a 3,650 curb weight is achieved, but less is never better here.

The current car I'm sure was done with a budget in mind (esp. the interior) considering it was designed at the height of the financial meltdown and GM's bankruptcy, plus, not sure GM was convinced it was going to be as successful as it was, so I expected there will be big leaps in interior quality/refinement.

SVT666

I like the front half, but the back half is weak.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on May 15, 2015, 12:24:55 PM
I like the front half, but the back half is weak.
I agree. I'll hold off till judgement I get a good look at it.

FlatBlackCaddy

Backend looks like the last gen prelude, very generic and uninteresting(referring to the back end).