Polaris Slingshot is a tragicomically bad turd

Started by Payman, January 27, 2015, 12:11:21 PM

Payman

Shoddy panel fitment, painted seats ripping at the seams, drive belt howl, driveshafts breaking, brakes failing, unintended acceleration, faulty steering, and on and on and on... now they have a recall for faulty steering racks and another for roll bars that can fail. This thing has the build quality of a ride-on lawnmower and owners are fuming because they've been told to stop driving them weeks ago. To add insult to injury, this vehicle doesn't qualify for "Lemon Law" protections.

http://www.slingshotforums.com/forum/polaris-slingshot-problems-and-issues.51/

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on January 27, 2015, 12:11:21 PM
Shoddy panel fitment, painted seats ripping at the seams, drive belt howl, driveshafts breaking, brakes failing, unintended acceleration, faulty steering, and on and on and on... now they have a recall for faulty steering racks and another for roll bars that can fail. This thing has the build quality of a ride-on lawnmower and owners are fuming because they've been told to stop driving them weeks ago. To add insult to injury, this vehicle doesn't qualify for "Lemon Law" protections.

http://www.slingshotforums.com/forum/polaris-slingshot-problems-and-issues.51/
Actually, riding lawnmowers are built better since none of them usually have failures of any kind.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on January 27, 2015, 12:20:50 PM
Actually, riding lawnmowers are built better since none of them usually have failures of any kind.

That was more to do with steering slop, materials, fit and finish, etc. Motorcycles are also usually well built with great fit/finish. The Slingshot is comically bad.

12,000 RPM

I could just tell by looking at it this thing was a POS. Polaris just set back the "4 wheel motorcycle" another 100 years in the US.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

Surprising news.

Once I saw they were using a 4 cylinder GM mill I figured they were sparing no expense.

Payman

On a related note, I sat on a new 2016 Can Am F3 this past weekend. Incredible detail/fit/finish. It's like a 3-wheeled Ferrari. There's no excuse for the Polaris to be this bad.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 27, 2015, 12:46:04 PM
Surprising news.

Once I saw they were using a 4 cylinder GM mill I figured they were sparing no expense.
:cry:

Raza

Funny, my friend's shop has one of these around because they do a lot of work on that engine (aftermarket stuff). He seemed to love it when he drove it. This is the guy who races his MX-5. I usually trust his opinion, but he admittedly doesn't pay too much attention to build quality.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on January 28, 2015, 09:28:54 PM
I usually trust his opinion, but he admittedly doesn't pay too much attention to build quality.
FWIW apparently neither does Polaris

Payman

Quote from: Raza  on January 28, 2015, 09:28:54 PM
Funny, my friend's shop has one of these around because they do a lot of work on that engine (aftermarket stuff). He seemed to love it when he drove it. This is the guy who races his MX-5. I usually trust his opinion, but he admittedly doesn't pay too much attention to build quality.

Oh, no doubt it's a blast to drive... when shit's not falling off it.

MrH

I watched the video of Matt Farah driving it, and that killed my enthusiasm.  Stupid slow steering.  It looked so lethargic trying to hustle that through corners.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Must have done a ton of googling to find this one little thread. LOL

I'll challenge any Slingshot owner to a race + attention/comments/peacock competition.

FlatBlackCaddy

I read the thread, sadly most of them seem to agree.

This "car" was nothing more than another way to milk some money out of the fools that pay 20K for a side by side 4 wheeler.

It was never meant to litter racetracks across the country piloted by automotive driving enthusiasts or track whores. It was a product designed to make money, and I'm sure it will do a very good job of that. Polaris will rake in massive amounts of money selling this thing until people grow tired and find something else to decorate their garage with.

Payman

Lol, some of them think all the problems/flaws are normal for a first year vehicle and are vehemently defending the Slingshot. Also, us "haters" have never bought a new car in its first production year before, so we  have no clue what we're talking about.  :lol:

12,000 RPM

QuoteThey are simply frustrated by the fact that the SS is turning heads while their vehicles go completely unnoticed.

What a sad, sad, sad reason to buy a vehicle. Im not even gonna rip on em, I feel sorry for this guy.

NomisR

Payman

Well, I was being civil, but apparently I'm a troll for bringing up the fact that the Slingshot is a piece of shit.

Raza

You guys are haters.  Everything you're saying is true, but you're still haters. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 30, 2015, 10:45:42 AM
Must have done a ton of googling to find this one little thread. LOL

I'll challenge any Slingshot owner to a race + attention/comments/peacock competition.

And yet they didn't find the thread where the majority of us were drooling over it before the poor quality came to light. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 68_427 on January 31, 2015, 06:30:46 AM
Can we get Cougs over there?
He's not for hire

He chooses the jobs he wants and does it for the internetry

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 31, 2015, 11:31:30 AM
He's not for hire

He chooses the jobs he wants and does it for the internetry

This would be a good pelt on his wall though

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Speed_Racer

Bahaha, the confirmation bias is strong in that forum. Poor guys.

FlatBlackCaddy

Sadly, most of them know they bought a piece of crap.

I wonder how many of them happen to own razr or some other sort of side by side 4 wheeler. I'm pretty sure that was the target market all along.

AutobahnSHO

Will

MX793

Shame about the quality issues.  Hopefully they can get things straightened out.  While most of the reviews I've read/seen/heard haven't been gushing/glowing, the general consensus is that it's a fun vehicle and good first effort.  Especially considering it's less than half the price of anything similar (Morgan, Atom, etc...).

Couldn't find the original thread to post this in, but I stumbled across this video comparing the Slingshot to the Morgan and Can-Am Spyder F3 today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuXWHGEBPT0

I think my favorite bit was when talking about how the Spyder is less like a car than the other two (which the reviewers didn't like calling "motorcycles"), but that it was also a very different experience from a motorcycle.  One editor decided to liken it to... not an ATV, not a snowmobile (which is what I would liken it to), but a small racing sailboat (?!).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5