Motor Trend vid: GT-R NISMO vs Z06

Started by 12,000 RPM, February 04, 2015, 01:36:58 PM

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on March 05, 2015, 08:56:16 AM
If the standard suspension in the Camaro SS is much stiffer and more track oriented than that of the Mustang GT, does that make the standard models non-comparable?

As a "track package", the 1LE does a better job on the track.  The Mustang is more well-rounded, giving up some on-track performance for comfort on the street.  How you judge them comes down to how you plan to use the car.
I would say the Mustang GT with Performance Pack is more inline with the standard Camaro SS.  The standard Mustang GT suspension is really setup for comfort, and the 1LE is a step beyond the Mustang's Performance Pack.  I agree that they essentially compete with one another on price, but their focus is different. 

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 05, 2015, 09:08:21 AM
r0tor plans to use them however best shits on GM, which I guess would be on the track, even though he said driving a car on the track in a non competitive way is a waste of time.

This hurts  :cry:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 05, 2015, 09:08:21 AM
r0tor plans to use them however best shits on GM, which I guess would be on the track, even though he said driving a car on the track in a non competitive way is a waste of time.
:golfclap:
Quote from: SVT666 on March 05, 2015, 10:00:52 AM
I would say the Mustang GT with Performance Pack is more inline with the standard Camaro SS.  The standard Mustang GT suspension is really setup for comfort, and the 1LE is a step beyond the Mustang's Performance Pack.  I agree that they essentially compete with one another on price, but their focus is different. 
In so many word the 1LE out tracks the Track Pack!  :ohyeah:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on March 05, 2015, 01:53:27 PM
:golfclap:In so many word the 1LE out tracks the Track Pack!  :ohyeah:
It's not a track pack.  It's a "Performance Pack".  The old Stang had a track pack.

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on March 05, 2015, 10:00:52 AM

Brembo brakes, shorter rearend ratio, additional bracing, up-rated cooling...  That's above and beyond the standard SS's hardware and pretty much matches what GM includes with the 1LE package.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on March 05, 2015, 07:02:27 PM
Brembo brakes, shorter rearend ratio, additional bracing, up-rated cooling...  That's above and beyond the standard SS's hardware and pretty much matches what GM includes with the 1LE package.
:rolleyes:

And?  The 1LE suspension tuning is far more aggressive and track oriented.  It's got a different focus than the Performance Pack.

hotrodalex

hotrodalex

I think I'd rather have an F-type R coupe over a Z06.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 08, 2015, 09:28:13 PM
I think I'd rather have an F-type R coupe over a Z06.

I'd take whichever F-Type that comes with a stick.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quote from: thecarnut on March 08, 2015, 09:53:50 PM
I'd take whichever F-Type that comes with a stick.

V6, which is the best one anyways
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

12,000 RPM

V8 sound is the only good thing about the V8. It's too fast and too nose heavy for, for example, a 2 lane backroad. Also they are going to put AWD in the V8s which will put them over 4,000lbs (!!!!!). V6s are better by far for driving enjoyment/engagement. They cut about 400lbs off of comparable XKs but many of those were well over 4,000lbs. ITs too fucking heavy, a 911 has 4 seats and weighs literally 500lbs less than the V6
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Actually the base XK coupe weighed 3500lbs.

I actually like the V6 F-Type sound better anyways.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rich

Something I found interesting is the XK Convertible is 10 grand LESS than the Coupe

The F Type 'vert costs more than the coupe
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

MX793

Motortrend did a retest with the Z06 on Willow after complaining that they thought there was something wrong with the test car.  Turns out there was.  The rear alignment was off.  GM also did a firmware update on the suspension tuning to add a "rough track" mode which addressed Pobst's complaints that the track mode setting was too harsh on Willow's relatively rough surface.  Lap times increased significantly (though the GT-R was still clocking faster speeds down the straights).  They also got an automatic-equipped car to see if the 8AT might be faster than the 7MT (especially since Pobst had some difficulty engaging 5th gear).  Ambient temperatures were <80F and the auto-equipped car started pulling power after the first hard lap (and continued pulling power and losing some time each successive lap).  That said, both were over a second faster than the original test car.  The 7MT wound up .7s faster than the GT-R and the 8AT was a few hundredths slower.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1503_2015_chevrolet_corvette_z06_track_retest/
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

So my original diagnosis was correct. Not surprised.

Now GM just needs to fix the damn ECU.

FlatBlackCaddy

Ahh yes, a "firmware" update for the "suspension" system.

AKA

A hot tune for the ECU to lay down the best track times, engine longevity be damned.

I'll take that information and place it with the other 20lb bags of salt I have in the basement.

r0tor

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 20, 2015, 12:20:41 PM
Ahh yes, a "firmware" update for the "suspension" system.

AKA

A hot tune for the ECU to lay down the best track times, engine longevity be damned.

I'll take that information and place it with the other 20lb bags of salt I have in the basement.

This... Absolutely pathetic
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 20, 2015, 01:01:09 PM
lol

I'd say the same thing if it was nissan "updating" the "suspension".

It's bs, pretty clear bs in fact. Anyone with a rational mind should question it.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 20, 2015, 01:01:09 PM
lol
U can cut the hate w/a knife and serve it on toast, so thick, so rich.

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 20, 2015, 01:16:44 PM

It's bs, pretty clear bs in fact. Anyone with a rational mind should question it.
Are you a 9/11 truther too?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 20, 2015, 01:17:51 PM
U can cut the hate w/a knife and serve it on toast, so thick, so rich.
Are you a 9/11 truther too?

I don't confine myself to limited passages of thought by "being" anything.

r0tor

Exactly

r0tor

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 20, 2015, 11:21:02 AM
So my original diagnosis was correct. Not surprised.

Now GM just needs to fix the damn ECU.

How is "fixing the ECU" going to solve the massive cooling issue causing the ecu to pull timing?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on March 20, 2015, 01:25:57 PM
How is "fixing the ECU" going to solve the massive cooling issue causing the ecu to pull timing?

you turn off the safety switch.  Get a good lap.  then make everyone else keep their safety switch on.
Will

hotrodalex

You're out of your mind if you think Motor Trend is stupid enough to not notice that the suspension is exactly the same yet it has more power.

Quote from: r0tor on March 20, 2015, 01:25:57 PM

A couple of days ago I asked Ridetech's boss about his new Z06. They went out and tested it along with their new C3 'Vette build. Said they did 23 minutes of hot laps and the engine ran at 226 degrees F, oil at 262 F.

Multiple tuners have come out with less conservative ECU tunes, since they don't have to worry about emissions or 100,000 mile warranties. Problem solved. Although chances of GM doing the same tune from the factory are super slim, unfortunately. Not a good sign for future performance cars - emissions and MPG requirements from the government are only going to make it more difficult to provide showroom-floor race cars. The rise of hybrid supercars is further evidence.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 20, 2015, 01:37:01 PM
You're out of your mind if you think Motor Trend is stupid enough to not notice that the suspension is exactly the same yet it has more power.

A couple of days ago I asked Ridetech's boss about his new Z06. They went out and tested it along with their new C3 'Vette build. Said they did 23 minutes of hot laps and the engine ran at 226 degrees F, oil at 262 F.

Multiple tuners have come out with less conservative ECU tunes, since they don't have to worry about emissions or 100,000 mile warranties. Problem solved. Although chances of GM doing the same tune from the factory are super slim, unfortunately. Not a good sign for future performance cars - emissions and MPG requirements from the government are only going to make it more difficult to provide showroom-floor race cars. The rise of hybrid supercars is further evidence.

I guess I really wasn't claiming they didn't do stuff to the suspension. But if you think an ecu tune didn't "slip" in there when they were messing around with the other computers then I guess you have more faith in companies than I do.

Keep in mind the extent to which GM lied and covered up the ignition issue. An issue that actually resulted in death. If they'll lie about that, then they will sure as hell alter a test car to beat the competition for bragging rights and most likely sales.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 20, 2015, 01:49:49 PM
I guess I really wasn't claiming they didn't do stuff to the suspension. But if you think an ecu tune didn't "slip" in there when they were messing around with the other computers then I guess you have more faith in companies than I do.

Keep in mind the extent to which GM lied and covered up the ignition issue. An issue that actually resulted in death. If they'll lie about that, then they will sure as hell alter a test car to beat the competition for bragging rights and most likely sales.

But the automatic car still pulled power.

FlatBlackCaddy

I didn't see them specify that the automatic car was retuned. It reads as if the automatic was just another test car brought in for comparison.