Do you know jack?

Started by Rupert, February 09, 2015, 09:12:34 PM

hotrodalex

I got harbor freight jack stands this week, they worked and I'm not dead.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CLKid on February 15, 2015, 08:55:38 AM
My take on Harbor Freight Tools.

Sockets, breaker bars, wrenches:  I've bought a few odd sizes, all were acceptable.
Did you have any issues with the sizes being off? I had a set of sockets from HF and 3 or 4 sockets were smaller than my Craftsman sockets of the same sizes.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

I was almost killed by a harbor freight spring compressor last fall... Had 2 of the sonufabitches strip/seize the tensioning screw with the coilovers compressed.

Never touching that shit ever again.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

hotrodalex

I rented a spring compressor from auto zone this weekend and the dumb thing wouldn't fit through my control arms, so I couldn't even use them. Just had to slowly decompress them with the jack.

Rupert

Well fuck that. HF was out of the jack I wanted (the cheap one) and Sears didn't have anything worth buying (i.e. cheap). Going with the Ranger, because fuck it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on February 16, 2015, 06:09:55 PM
Well fuck that. HF was out of the jack I wanted (the cheap one) and Sears didn't have anything worth buying (i.e. cheap). Going with the Ranger, because fuck it.

Fuck it, indeed. It will probably be the last jack you have to buy.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Byteme

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on February 15, 2015, 03:07:28 PM
Did you have any issues with the sizes being off? I had a set of sockets from HF and 3 or 4 sockets were smaller than my Craftsman sockets of the same sizes.

No, but I only have bought three to fill in holes in my metric 3/8" drive set and 1/2" SAE set.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 16, 2015, 06:17:23 PM
Of course, they also have an aluminum model... For "racing'
http://www.bendpak.com/shop-equipment/floor-jacks/rfj-4000al

That they do. The (much, much) lower weight is pretty tempting, but it seems like steel is tougher.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on February 16, 2015, 07:05:01 PM
That they do. The (much, much) lower weight is pretty tempting, but it seems like steel is tougher.

I would do steel for dedicated garage duty. For shizzle.

Rupert

On the other hand, I move a lot (goddammit), and moving 100 lbs is kind of a PITA.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on February 15, 2015, 03:07:28 PM

Yeah, I only use their impact sockets (because their regular kind are made of flexibendium like their hand wrenches are) and some of them fit clean snug on the nut and others wobble enough to make me wonder if I really have the right size (which I do, because the next size down won't fit). Though seeing as how I am talking in the present tense, not bad enough to make me get rid of them yet :P

Quote from: Rupert on February 16, 2015, 07:28:15 PM
On the other hand, I move a lot (goddammit), and moving 100 lbs is kind of a PITA.

Jacks are moving tools. It's a height-adjustable rolling furniture dolly with a handle!

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on February 16, 2015, 07:28:15 PM

I borrowed a 3.5 ton jack from work this week, thing weighed more like 150 lbs. Fun to lift in and out of the bed.

Byteme

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 17, 2015, 08:02:51 AM
I borrowed a 3.5 ton jack from work this week, thing weighed more like 150 lbs. Fun to lift in and out of the bed.

You were sleeping with it?   :confused:

hotrodalex

Nothing like some cold hard steel to help you fall asleep at night.

Rupert

Hey, if you're into that sort of thing...

I'm gonna get the steel one, because when I move, I can just roll it up the UHaul ramp.

Rupert

Also got some nice jack stands finally.

:rockon:

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

The rotten part makes them easily adjustable.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on February 20, 2015, 12:55:30 AM
Half-rotted 4x4 posts.

I'm sure there's some old growth hardwoods near you that you know about; nobody will miss four or five trees.

Cut them to 8x10x12 inches. That makes them adjustable
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 20, 2015, 02:40:08 AM
I'm sure there's some old growth hardwoods near you that you know about; nobody will miss four or five trees.

Cut them to 8x10x12 inches. That makes them adjustable

One stand per tree seems like waste...

:lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on February 20, 2015, 01:33:13 PM
One stand per tree seems like waste...

:lol:

Even dead trees are an important part of the forest ecology.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

But so are snags. I'll cut two, take one, leave one, and girdle the third but leave it standing.

Morris Minor

Years ago somebody broke into my dad's garage in London (burglaries are epidemic there) & stole a large box full of the tools that he's accumulated over his lifetime. He was devastated; they were good quality: made in England, Germany, Sweden etc. Some were from the 19thC - given to him by his grandfather. It was a real emotional loss.

I'd feel the same way: I still have things that I bought in my teens; I always used to try to buy the good stuff, in ones and twos, as I could afford them, rather than buying sets.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rupert

The jack has arrived. I believe it will succeed at lifting heavy things.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CLKid on February 10, 2015, 07:18:50 PM
That's for hand tools. 

For jacks the coverage is:

CRAFTSMAN LIMITED WARRANTY
FOR 90 DAYS from the date of purchase, this product is warranted against defects in material or workmanship. With proof of purchase, a defective product will receive free repair or replacement if repair is unavailable.

WARRANTY SERVICE
To obtain warranty coverage, contact the distributor from which the product was purchased.

See:  http://www.craftsman.com/cswarranty/nb-100000000227082#point5a

IIRC, Craftsman torque wrenches only have a 1 year warranty as well. Not sure if there are other restrictions.

VTEC_Inside

That Ranger jack looks identical to the one I have from crappy tire... Mine works well and is easy to carry around...

RE:Craftsman... Where you buy seems to make a big difference as well. US Craftsman differs from our Canuck crap.. Some better, some worse.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...