Infiniti QX30 concept

Started by 68_427, February 19, 2015, 05:06:56 AM

68_427

ver nize i like

QuoteAfter releasing a shadowy glimpse of the rear of the QX30 Concept a few days ago, Infiniti is finally shining some light on the premium compact crossover's backside ahead of the vehicle's full debut at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show on March 3.

The QX30 is a thorough reworking of the brand's Q30 Concept from the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show. Many of the same styling elements show up on the latest luxury crossover interpretation, but the touches are tweaked to better align with Infiniti's latest look. In addition to jacking up the ride height by 1.2 inches, the CUV gets hard creases in its sheetmetal and complicated 21-inch aluminum wheels that really grab the eye. The rear wears a contrasting dark purple stripe that separates the hatch area from the exhaust tips housed in the skid plate, and both concepts share a coupe-like proportion with the backseat door pulls hidden for a cleaner line. While not pictured, the company says the vehicle has a glass roof.

Infiniti still isn't showing the aluminum-trimmed front of the concept yet, but the automaker admits that the styling on display here hints at the possibility of a future premium compact crossover, which isn't really a surprise. The company has talked about a production QX30 several times in the past.
First image release of strong and stylish Infiniti QX30 Concept

• Concept combines elevated crossover stance with strong coupe contours

• World premiere at 2015 Geneva International Motor Show

• Enhanced crossover is 30mm taller than Q30 Concept

HONG KONG – Infiniti today provides the first full glimpse of the QX30 Concept, which will have its world premiere at the 2015 Geneva International Motor Show. The crossover concept hints at a future premium compact vehicle and gives a strong indication of the brand's commitment to this segment.

Pushing design boundaries, the QX30 Concept combines the sleek lines of a coupe with the distinguishing features and higher stance of a crossover. Looking poised for action, yet fluid, it promises to deliver effortless capability with style.

"We wanted the spontaneous fluidity of the QX30 Concept design to cut through the urban clutter and rigidity, reflecting its go-anywhere and spur-of-the-moment nature," said Alfonso Albaisa, Infiniti Executive Design Director. "The QX30 Concept has been designed to make occupants feel safe and protected inside, and customers can drive in or out of the city without worrying about nicks to the chromework."

The theme of "stylish protection" is evident from nose to tail. The designers have given QX30 Concept a more pronounced aluminum-trimmed bumper up front, while rounding up the rear with a tough skid plate sculpted with nuanced graphics.

The QX30 Concept's smooth exterior shape is composed of bold sections, deep upward cuts and intersecting contours to create Infiniti's hallmark "dual wave" effect. The aerodynamic design accentuates its athletic silhouette, showcasing its confident capability. Carbon fiber in the lower cladding and roofbar supports adds to the car's lightweight performance character.

The 21-inch wheels and larger profile tires are core to the crossover's sure-footed stance. The spokes are a unique mix of three-dimensional milled aluminum finished in different tones, which interlock in a distinctive manner.

Even the roof racks have gone beyond their merely functional use. Extending inward toward the center line alongside the glass roof, they provide a "sculpture" for the rear passengers to look through, resulting in an unusual perspective of the world outside.

"The QX30 Concept design conveys a sophisticatedly gritty sense of strength and durability, but tough doesn't mean rough," said Albaisa. "We've retained a sense of artistry throughout, even in the most functional of parts."

QX30 Concept will be officially unveiled on March 3 during Infiniti's press conference at the 2015 Geneva International Motor Show starting at 2:15 p.m. local time.

About Infiniti

Infiniti Motor Company Ltd. is headquartered in Hong Kong with sales operations in over 50 countries. The Infiniti brand was launched in 1989. Its range of premium automobiles is currently built in manufacturing facilities in Japan, the United States and China. Production in the UK will start in 2015, bringing with it significant expansion of the brand's portfolio. Infiniti plans to also expand manufacturing into Mexico by 2017.

As the Title Partner and Vehicle Performance Partner of Infiniti Red Bull Racing, Infiniti has a far-reaching technical collaboration with the four-time FIA Formula One World Championship winning Team.

More information about Infiniti, its Total Ownership Experience® and its industry leading technologies can be found at www.infinitiUSA.com. For the latest news on Infiniti, visit InfinitiNews.com. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and see all our latest videos on YouTube.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/19/infiniti-qx30-concept-image-geneva-motor-show/
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Their C-pillars :facepalm:

Looks good otherwise though. What platform are they gonna use?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Looks OK I suppose.

At some point I wonder if folks will just admit to themselves they like hatchbacks and wagons (this SUV just looks like a tall hatchback IMHO).

edit: Not tall, but lifted, rather.

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 19, 2015, 06:07:08 AM

Assuming fwd based
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

That C pillar forward kink is sooooo awful. Then they go straight GM style and bedazzle it with chrome to draw even more attention to it.

Worst design cue in years.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Yeah, that c pillar is whack. It looks nice other wise, though, which is unfortunate.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Payman

I bet the front end is like walking behind a hot chick... hot until she turns around and has a face like a demented Picasso painting.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on February 19, 2015, 08:00:11 AM
That C pillar forward kink is sooooo awful. Then they go straight GM style and bedazzle it with chrome to draw even more attention to it.

Worst design cue in years.
It's distinctive™.

Infiniti™ QX30™. Stand™ out™ from™ the crowd™.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 19, 2015, 06:07:08 AM

I think I recall reading somewhere that its GLA based.

FoMoJo

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

I like the c pillar.

But infiniti c pillars always look good in concept and whack in production

2o6

It looks like it could easily be Juke based

SVT666

I like everything I see except the C-pillar.

SJ_GTI

I don't understand the obsession with the C pillar you guys have.

On you average car that "kink" would look strange, but when looking at this specific vehicle, if it was just straight THAT would look weird. I think the C pillar on this car matches the overall design about as best as it could.  :huh:

TBR

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

The c-pillar looks great, much better than similar attempts in the past (think the 1st-gen Tribeca). A traditional c-pillar would look out of place on this design.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

In the metal, the C-pillar looks a bit too exaggerated.

SVT666

That front fascia looks like a grimacing cartoon character.