Worst styling cues

Started by Payman, February 19, 2015, 08:17:47 AM

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on February 19, 2015, 08:26:08 PM

Okay, but compared to pretty much everything it feels hella narrow and tight.

The Fiesta feels like I'm driving a phone booth

Perhaps, and I do agree with the Fiesta, but it's a smaller car. I was surprised to find the Cruze claustrophobic feeling when I cross shopped. I really like the interiors of the Mazda3 and 2. Some people don't like the tablet style of the nav screen, but I think it allows for a simpler and more elegant dash design, instead of trying to integrate the screen into the console, which results in a bulkier dashboard.

Laconian

The Escape I drove had a very tall dashboard too, built around the TouchMyFord screen no doubt.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on February 19, 2015, 08:26:08 PM

Okay, but compared to pretty much everything it feels hella narrow and tight.

The Fiesta feels like I'm driving a phone booth

Ugh, I hated that about my friend's Fiesta ST. The console is so wide and it has that little hood for the screen and that makes the interior look even smaller.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Quote from: Xer0 on February 19, 2015, 06:04:38 PM
:clap:

This is the only car on sale that always makes me stop and comment on how ugly it is.  Every single time.
I'm so happy I nailed it in one.

Another worst styling cue? The headlights on the Spark. So embarrassing on a car so tall and upright.

2o6

I love the oversized front fascia on th Spark

Its better than the 2002-chic Mirage

Laconian

The Mirage looks like a car that's meant for third world countries.

veeman

I like the look of the infiniti qx80.  SUVs of that size are inherently a little obnoxious.  The qx80's front end looks unique and an interesting mix of hotrod and semitruck.  To me the front end looks really cool. I agree the sideports are ugly. 

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on February 19, 2015, 07:44:52 PM

In a sports car? Nothing.

In an economy car? It feels clausterphobic. The Focus feels really tight inside, and the shape of the firewall and center stack only goes further to make feel clausterphobic.

*claustrophobic

But agreed, Ford is a consistent offender of this. In the Focus it's the front passenger who gets the worst of it, but the Taurus is where it's the most ridiculous. That's a car that cries out for '80s-style sofa seats.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on February 20, 2015, 11:04:45 AM
The Mirage looks like a car that's meant for third world countries.
Thats because it is  :partyon:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CJ

Quote from: ifcar on February 20, 2015, 11:51:04 AM
In the Focus it's the front passenger who gets the worst of it...

Holy fuck.  This is the worst part of my car. 

SVT666

In my old SVT Focus the passenger seat sat at least an inch higher than the driver seat.  It was enough that it was the difference in feeling like you were sitting in the car as opposed to sitting on the car.

Morris Minor

Dogs Bollocks Syndrome.
Automobile designers can now bend & shape metal anyway they like. Thy can do things with lights that were never dreamed of before. So I think some of these over the top styling fashions & details are there now simply because designers *can* do it. Not because it's needed, or functional, or even particularly stylish... it's just that they can... so they do.

Why does a dog lick it's bollocks? Because it can.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 21, 2015, 04:11:21 PM
Dogs Bollocks Syndrome.
Automobile designers can now bend & shape metal anyway they like. Thy can do things with lights that were never dreamed of before. So I think some of these over the top styling fashions & details are there now simply because designers *can* do it. Not because it's needed, or functional, or even particularly stylish... it's just that they can... so they do.

Why does a dog lick it's bollocks? Because it can.

Indeed. I would surely lick my balls if I could.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

The weirdass shiny rectangle in the middle of the grille of the Sonata and Genesis

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on February 27, 2015, 02:02:51 PM
The weirdass shiny rectangle in the middle of the grille of the Sonata and Genesis

That's not a styling cue, that's radar equipment they didn't bother to hide.

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on February 19, 2015, 08:34:35 PM
Perhaps, and I do agree with the Fiesta, but it's a smaller car. I was surprised to find the Cruze claustrophobic feeling when I cross shopped. I really like the interiors of the Mazda3 and 2. Some people don't like the tablet style of the nav screen, but I think it allows for a simpler and more elegant dash design, instead of trying to integrate the screen into the console, which results in a bulkier dashboard.

We stopped by the dealer the other day and drive a Mazda3. 

Pros: 

Slick 6 speed manual
Light clutch easy to modulate
Quick
Responsive

Cons:

Road Noise seemed excessive
Couldn't read that nav screen that sits on the dashboard like a billboard.  The glare made it hard to easily read.  It would be a deal breaker for me.  The 6 is bigger, had better appointments and a nicer dashboard, all for just a couple of thousand more and the loss of a few mpgs.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on February 27, 2015, 02:30:02 PM
That's not a styling cue, that's radar equipment they didn't bother to hide.

That's what that is?

Then it's a bad design choice

ifcar