LSD instead of AWD?

Started by Xer0, February 23, 2015, 07:35:44 PM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on February 24, 2015, 12:08:34 PM
I've owned a few cars with RWD LSDs, and have driven them quite a bit in snow. In short, LSD + snow/ice = risky. Note however these were vehicles without any ABS, TC or stability control.

FWIW, I got caught in an unseasonably early snow dusting once when I had my BMW Z3 (RWD + LSD + Summer Tires). It was hilariously bad in snow that was less than an inch (maybe less than half an inch). It couldn't even go up a ~5 degree incline (just a normal stretch of street). I actually started sliding backwards...was flabbergasted it was that bad. Admittedly these might have been tires beyond their recommended wear levels (don't remember), but it was astonishing.

Byteme

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 24, 2015, 12:29:23 PM
FWIW, I got caught in an unseasonably early snow dusting once when I had my BMW Z3 (RWD + LSD + Summer Tires). It was hilariously bad in snow that was less than an inch (maybe less than half an inch). It couldn't even go up a ~5 degree incline (just a normal stretch of street). I actually started sliding backwards...was flabbergasted it was that bad. Admittedly these might have been tires beyond their recommended wear levels (don't remember), but it was astonishing.

Besides the tread pattern Summer tires are compounded differently which results in their being not so grippy in cold conditions. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 24, 2015, 12:11:43 PM
The Z is tricky with TCS on in the wet so snow is pretty much a no go. I am on summer tires though. Im sure a weak RWD car on snow tires would be fine tho

Roadkill guys drove the Crusher Camaro ('69 Camaro with 700 hp I think) across the country in the snow using the same tires I have - DWS all seasons. Didn't have too much trouble. Snow tires would have been even better. Avoiding caveman throttle inputs and having decent tires goes a lot further than most people think.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CLKid on February 24, 2015, 12:32:25 PM
Besides the tread pattern Summer tires are compounded differently which results in their being not so grippy in cold conditions. 

This winter I drove a mile to the laundromat and when it started snowing. There was barely anything sticking to the road but it was nervewracking - I was sliding all over the place. They are brand new summer performance tires, but tread pattern and rubber compounds make all the difference.

Morris Minor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 24, 2015, 12:26:08 PM
I don't think that is right. IMHO (and limited experience with AWD/FWD) having proper snow tires is a much better help than anything else. I would probably go something more like this:

AWD - snow tires
FWD - snow tires (w/LSD)
FWD - snow tires  <----------< most traction for the buck sweet spot.
RWD - snow tires (LSD)
RWD - snow tires
AWD - all season tires
FWD - all season tires (LSD)
FWD - all season tires
RWD - all season tires (LSD)
RWD - all season tires

JMHO of course.
I can go with that - snow tires trump all. Of course I have needed snow tires all of about five days out of 20 years of living in Atlanta - so this is purely armchair guesswork on my part.  ;)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

hotrodalex

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 24, 2015, 02:30:01 PM
I can go with that - snow tires trump all. Of course I have needed snow tires all of about five days out of 20 years of living in Atlanta - so this is purely armchair guesswork on my part.  ;)

Lots of people with studded snows out here, maybe been used twice. For the west coast it's been a good year to keep your all seasons.

MX793

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 24, 2015, 01:57:52 PM
This winter I drove a mile to the laundromat and when it started snowing. There was barely anything sticking to the road but it was nervewracking - I was sliding all over the place. They are brand new summer performance tires, but tread pattern and rubber compounds make all the difference.

Yup, the summer tires on my Mustang were comically (and terrifyingly) poor in even the lightest dusting of snow when I got caught in some late-season snowfall last year.  I went to back out of my perfectly flat driveway and simply easing out the clutch in reverse without touching the throttle elicited wheelspin.  I drove through a similar light snow with the OEM all-seasons when I first got it and it wasn't bad at all.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

I don't think that is right. IMHO (and limited experience with AWD/FWD) having proper snow tires is a much better help than anything else. I would probably go something more like this:

AWD - snow tires
FWD - snow tires (w/LSD)
RWD - snow tires (LSD)
RWD - snow tires
AWD - all season tires
FWD - all season tires
RWD - all season tires

JMHO of course.

Strongly disagree...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 24, 2015, 09:40:03 AM
Open diff gives power to the wheel that slips, so theres that.

Not sure why folks are saying LSDs would put the car in a ditch. Most LSDs are one way (acceleration only).

As mentioned earlier, open diff only 1 wheel spins while an LSD will have 2 wheels spin.

A fwd car can still turn with 1 front wheel spinning.  A FWD car will not turn with 2 front wheels spinning.  A rwd car will generally still track well with 1 rear wheel spinning, it will snap oversteer with 2 rear wheels spinning.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 24, 2015, 09:47:58 AM
EDITED

So, generalizing,  in descending order of desirability for general driving in the snowbelt, I'm going to say:

AWD - snow tires
AWD - all season tires
FWD - snow tires (w/LSD)
FWD - all season tires
RWD - snow tires (LSD)
RWD - snow tires
RWD - all season tires

I ranked LSD on the assumption of good driving technique: it's better than an open diff for getting you unstuck, but tricky if you drive like an idiot.

I actually agree with this list exactly.

:golfclap:

I've driven quite a few RWD cars in the snow in the last few years, all with LSDs.  Miata on both summer tires and snow tires, BRZ with summer and winter tires, Genesis on all seasons.

None come even close to the Element on all seasons.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on February 24, 2015, 04:50:47 PM
I actually agree with this list exactly.

:golfclap:

I've driven quite a few RWD cars in the snow in the last few years, all with LSDs.  Miata on both summer tires and snow tires, BRZ with summer and winter tires, Genesis on all seasons.

None come even close to the Element on all seasons.

Agreed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 24, 2015, 09:40:03 AM
Open diff gives power to the wheel that slips, so theres that.

Not sure why folks are saying LSDs would put the car in a ditch. Most LSDs are one way (acceleration only).

Turning right from a stop, for example.

Obviously good technique goes a long way, and so do tires, but it's kind of a PITA to have to be so super light and delicate driving everywhere if you get snow for a few days, let alone all winter. It's an annoyance issue more than anything.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Morris Minor

My old 2CV was great in the snow. Lots of weight over the narrow-tired driving wheels.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SVT666

Tires, the only things connecting you to the road. 

Raza

AWD - snow tires
FWD - snow tires (w/LSD)
RWD - snow tires (LSD)
RWD - snow tires
AWD - all season tires
FWD - all season tires
RWD - all season tires

JMHO of course.

I have no experience with snow tires, but I've done FWD, RWD, and AWD in snow on all seasons. The AWD was so impressive I can't ever see the need to get snow tires for an AWD car (at least for the life I live, Northeast US city life).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  on March 05, 2015, 08:03:59 AM
I have no experience with snow tires, but I've done FWD, RWD, and AWD in snow on all seasons. The AWD was so impressive I can't ever see the need to get snow tires for an AWD car (at least for the life I live, Northeast US city life).

Having driven both in the snow, I would take FWD with snow tires any day of the week, and twice on sunday.

AWD helps you get going, but doesn't help with stopping in the least.

CALL_911

I've found my Pilot AS3s aren't so great in the snow, which I totally expected. My mom's A4 on DWS's is a total champ.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hotrodalex

DWS seems to be the best winter all-season by a huge margin.

MexicoCityM3

Only snow that I have to worry about down here is the kind that people snort. So RWD+LSD+Semislicks FTW
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

r0tor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 05, 2015, 11:33:45 AM
Having driven both in the snow, I would take FWD with snow tires any day of the week, and twice on sunday.

AWD helps you get going, but doesn't help with stopping in the least.

Stopping in the slick stuff is a driver installed option

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on March 05, 2015, 07:33:30 PM
Stopping in the slick stuff is a driver installed option

Forgotten about usually.
Will